SASS Wire Forum

Model No. 3 Schofield Gunsmith?

Sgt. Saywut

I’m looking for a pair of Cimarron Model No. 3 Schofields in 38 Special, with 5” barrels, and I was wondering if I could get a recommendation for a gunsmith who knows this platform and can slick them up for one-handed shooting.   I’ve handled one, and my hands are large enough to reach the hammer spur with a comfortable grip, so I’m not worried about that.   Just want to know who these days can do justice to the action on such a creature.  Thanks. 

You folks don’t find the trigger pull to be heavy and a bit gritty?  The Schofield I handled, a new one from Cimarron, had me wondering if a gunsmith could work some magic on it.  It wasn’t bad, but I’ve felt better trigger pulls on other SA revolvers. 

I have a pair of the Smith and Wesson Performance Center Schofields. Beautiful guns and pretty much the pride and joy of all my CAS guns. But after a couple hundred dry fires and 50k plus of live ammo through Ruger six-guns I find my Schofields virtually unshootable for me. The fact that I cannot be anywhere near the trigger when cocking makes it pretty comical when I have tried to shoot them. Dutch Coroner is a very good classic cowboy shooter and he makes a pair of Schofields run really well. I have felt them and know that he has had work done on them just not sure who did it. Look him up on here and ask him. 

I have a pair of Uberti Schofields in .45 and found the hammer springs very tough for duelist shooting. I bought an extra set of springs just in case and then ground the originals. This is not unlike what you might do for a '73 mainspring. I didn't go crazy, but the effort on cocking is much, much improved. I could do some more, but haven't bothered. Before I did that, I felt like I needed to take a break in the  middle of a shooting string. :blush:

Howdy

Not Schofields's these are S&W New Model Number Threes. The one on the left was made in 1896, the one on the right was made in 1882 and refinished at the factory in 1965.

The refinished one has a reasonable trigger pull, perhaps because it was redone at the factory. The blued one has a very stiff trigger pull. That's just the way they were. Seeing as these are antiques, I have no intention of 'slicking them up', they are what they are. I did back out the strain screw on the blued one about 1/2 turn, which lightens the hammer pull and trigger pull slightly. Don't back it out much more than that or the hammer spring starts to bind.

Don't forget to keep your finger off the trigger when cocking a S&W Top Break. The bolt is trigger actuated, not hammer actuated. If you prevent the trigger from moving while cocking the hammer, you cannot cock the hammer. Last time I took these to a match the nickel plated one reminded me of that a couple of times.

New%20Model%20Number%20Three%20Blue%2031

7 minutes ago, LostVaquero said:

I did not find mine too bad but the Laramies which are No 3 new model sort ofs are definitely better.  I chalk that up to them having slightly different internals.  They have coil mainsprings

The Laramie is still not SASS legal due to the adjustable rear sight, correct?

1 hour ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

I'm having trouble following the new rule book, but I believe the Laramie, with its adjustable rear sight, is legal in any category that allows adjustable sights. I just can't figure out any more which categories those are.

3 hours ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

All age based and b western ( any main match revolver).  Duelest, Gunfighter and Classic specifically specify fixed sight.  However, SASS did allow the fixed sight latch from the Russian to be put on the Laramie (per pg 35 of new shooters handbook), then it is legal fixed sight revolver.

On a slightly different note TK custom will machine any of these to take moonclips to shoot 45acp in 45 colt or 9mm in 38 chambered guns.  The best part you can still used rim rounds as well

Archived