SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron - Pietta

Waxahachie Kid #17017 L

My semi-local gun-shop is beginning to carry, and recommend, the Cimarron Pietta single action revolvers over the Uberti. 

I guess my question is: do the Piettas still have the traditional non-retractable firing pin, for those of us that do not want such a thing incorporated into our revolvers? 

Next time I am over there (it is 70 miles away), I will look one over, but I was just wondering if anyone had a Pietta, or had purchased one lately, and if so, do they still have the tried and true fixed firing pin. 

Uberti has lost my future revolver business, by this so called "upgrade" of their firing pin (pardon me while I find a spittoon to clear the bad taste of this retractable firing pin out of my mouth).  But then, nobody with Uberti asked my opinion on doing that.

My opinion: If I wanted the ability to load six rounds, safely, I would use my old Ruger .45 that has the transfer bar system (my Ruger is old enough that did not have the stupid warning written all over the barrel...and...even though it has no warning on the barrel, miracle of miracles, I have yet to shoot myself, or anyone else with it, after purchasing it in the 1970's).   

Thanks.

W.K.

The Piettas have the standard hammer and firing pin (except for the transfer bar models such as Cabelas and Traditions carry).   For now I'm hearing that Cimarron's BP-framed (Old Model) Model P's still have the standard hammer as well.

The Pietta's are definitely an up grade over the Uberti. But, you will need to look for the tradition non-transfer bar versions. The EMF Great Western II's for example. 

Beside a traditional action the GW II's are 2nd gen Colt compatible. They also have firing pin bushing/recoil plates, and the bolt cams are hardened and pressed into the hammer like the colts so they hold up better. The one non colt upgrade is the hand springs are Ruger style coil and plungers. I personally think these guns are the very best of the clones.

I have 4 Pietta's. One is a GW2 (38/357) that I've had for years and the other 3 are 44-40. 2 of the 3 44-40's are the Alchemista's with a lowered hammer I had put in at EMF before they were shipped. These are very smooth guns. I also have 4 Uberti open top conversions in 38Spl. These are older pre retractable firing pins, IF they even are putting those in the open Tops. Those have held up well and have several thousand rounds run through them. The Alchemista's are listed under the GW 2 section, so I would have to suppose they're a variant of the GW 2's.

Pietta’s all day long over the Uberti 

just sayin 

Rooster 

I have a Pietta from Traditions with the transfer bar. I got it really as a back up to my matched pair of Ruger Vaquero's. I have only fired it 4 - 5 times, about 50 rounds each time. Seems to work well. No complaints yet. Nice to hear from other Cowboys that they think its better than Uberti.

I recently bought this Taylor's cattle brand, which is made by Pietta. It's the only Pietta I have so far, so I can't comment on other importers or models. It took me some time to get it apart, as the a few of the screws were really stuck in there. I ended up mangling one to the point where I had to replace it. Once inside, I found some interesting stuff. This one has what appears to be a superior industries lightened mainspring, the best after market mainspring there is. The contact surfaces are smoothed over, and everything is fit really well so lockup is perfect. I am really happy with the quality of this particular gun. It's the best out of the box clone I have seen yet not named USFA. I want' to get another, perhaps a GW2, to see if these features are standard or I just got a really good one.

944D463D-0D5A-4A6B-8D8D-986281903626.jpeg

F97419C8-5867-4FAB-8915-7CA13CE05D4A.jpeg

Nice toy Redwood :-)

Archived