SASS Wire Forum

LeMat revolver on shotgun targets.

July Smith

This is just a hypothetical what if... 

What if a shooter was running a pair of LeMat revolvers and then engaged two of the shotgun targets with the central shotgun barrels?  Obviously, there would be no time advantage, and for safety reasons, the guns could not be cocked until in the shotgun position, but it would be super cool.  Again, obviously the shooter would still need to stage a real shotgun for the other shotgun targets, but could a LeMat be legally used in a SASS match?

Just trying to justify purchasing a LeMat...  I'll eventually end up with one (or two) but they will fall pretty low on the list of next purchases if I cannot use them in SASS.

Yeah, SASS rules say shotguns must have 18" or greater barrels.

Not sure how a LeMat could be justified under "single barrel, SxS, lever or pump", but the barrel is just too short.

LeMat Sidematch anyone?

Didn't the LeMat have a reputation for nasty chain fire incidents?

1 hour ago, CurlyDrew42 said:

LeMat Sidematch anyone? 

Didn't the LeMat have a reputation for nasty chain fire incidents? 

Perhaps a specific exemption from the 18" rule for LeMats?

Provided the caps and balls fit properly I do not see how a Lemat could be any more prone to chain firing than a normal C&B.

Monthly match probably won't care if it was SASS legal or not, just as long as your safe with it, and have money in your pocket for the match fee.

This game has all kinds of unofficial stuff.

They're legal for SASS, but not for shotgun targets. Even though they have 9 chambers, you're restricted to 5 loaded chambers, same other C&B pistols.

As a practical matter, they're heavy (over 3 lbs), very expensive ($900 at Cabelas) and the loading lever is crap -- just like the originals. Fun as a curiosity or for a side match, but I sure wouldn't want to shoot 'em for an entire match.

Bottom Dealing Mike has a nice demonstration here:

Cullen Bohannon carries a LeMat in the first season of Hell on Wheels, it's actually a major plot point, but I don't think it lasts more than that season and I don't think you ever see him really use it.

21 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

When does he carry one?

You are right! I just went back and watched the pilot again. My bad.

i always thought it wold be cool to have two guns, a single shot and a lemat. lemat with 8 of the 9 chambers loaded, hammer on empty, the 20ga barrel loaded with a pumpkin ball and the single shot for the 10th round. is there a way to drop the hammer between chambers on a lemat like a 58 remington? that way you could have all 9 loaded safely and then use the pumpkin ball for 10... i think it would be cool to see!!!!

On 10/16/2017 at 8:55 AM, July Smith said:

This is just a hypothetical what if... 

What if a shooter was running a pair of LeMat revolvers and then engaged two of the shotgun targets with the central shotgun barrels?  Obviously, there would be no time advantage, and for safety reasons, the guns could not be cocked until in the shotgun position, but it would be super cool.  Again, obviously the shooter would still need to stage a real shotgun for the other shotgun targets, but could a LeMat be legally used in a SASS match?

Just trying to justify purchasing a LeMat...  I'll eventually end up with one (or two) but they will fall pretty low on the list of next purchases if I cannot use them in SASS.

I thought about this myself and even asked. I think one club would let me do it, mostly because they wanted to see it too. Or they just wanted to see me screw it all up. Probably the latter.

On 10/16/2017 at 1:49 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

They're legal for SASS, but not for shotgun targets. Even though they have 9 chambers, you're restricted to 5 loaded chambers, same other C&B pistols.

As a practical matter, they're heavy (over 3 lbs), very expensive ($900 at Cabelas) and the loading lever is crap -- just like the originals. Fun as a curiosity or for a side match, but I sure wouldn't want to shoot 'em for an entire match.

All of this, plus the main spring is ridiculously stiff. If you ever get a chance, try it out. It's terrible. I just happen to have a picture of one. Furthermore, it's not easy to find someone that will work on one for you

59e68d8701568_Lematmainspring.jpg.bdf5eb76c62daaa89baeda73aad72d11.jpg

Archived