SASS Wire Forum

Comfortable Boots for Cowboy Action

Buckaroo Bubba

Howdy All,

Looking for recommendations for comfortable boots for CAS. Over the last 14 years, I have wore Ariats. Two pair over 14 years in this sport, can't complain about that. My latest pair have finally just wore out. My feet have been killing me, especially at 3-day matches. 

I shoot Gunfighter so I don't need anything flashy. Comfort and durability are the priority. 

Thought maybe someone would have some good choices for me. 

Thanks in advance, Bubba

Howdy Bubba!

Guess what!  I have worn a whole lot of cowboy boots and I have found the most comfortable boot!  I can wear these boots all day and my feet don't get tired!

They are Ariats!  I think they call it a Rambler boot,  Style #10018611.   They are suede with a square toe and a low Roper heel.  They come with a Hi-Tech cushioned insole that is super comfortable.  These boots are made to be super-light weight and that's probably why they're so comfortable.  They feel like sneakers.

I have other Ariats but the suede ones are the best for comfort!  I hope this has helped!

Mo

PS:  Bubba!  Buy new Ariat cushioned insoles for your old boots!  Get'em cheap from Amazon!  If you have been wearing the same insoles all these years-this might be part of your problem!

I suppose not totally correct but I wore a pair of Justin ropers for years. Never had a more comfortable boot to shoot in. Wore at EOT for several day shoot and they were fine. The only problem I ever had was they wore out. 

White's Packers are the only thing I can wear and not turn ankles and not have the balls of my feet on fire when shooting on a rocky range.    Even tried Ariat Packers.  The White's are head and shoulders above those even.

Good luck, GJ

I've been wearing a pair of Justin Work boots with the Gore Tex liner for at least 10 years now, both for cowboy shooting and they are almost always  my first choice for day to day wear.  Most comfortable shoe I own and I can't remember the last time my feet hurt when wearing them.   

https://www.justinoriginalworkboots.com/footwear/men/product-features/waterproof/604

I wear Ariats.  You can pay more, but I have yet to find anything better in terms of comfort and longevity than Ariats.

For riding and SASS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B8MX06/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q8I0ZG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For StovePipe/preacher style, I like/wear those Boulet brand boots.  Cheapest I found them was at WWM when they are on sale.  They are comfy and all leather.  Some of the other brands I have seen look like pleather and are not comfortable at all.

Totes

6 hours ago, Mossy Pops said:

Great thread Bubba.

Does anyone also have a recommendation for a comfortable version of a preacher boot or similar old western style?

I noticed we wear the same boots, I can't remember where I got 'em but they're comfortable!!!!

Do you remember what they're called? Frontier boots??:unsure:

3 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I noticed we wear the same boots, I can't remember where I got 'em but they're comfortable!!!!

Do you remember what they're called? Frontier boots??:unsure:

Mine are the Oak Tree Preacher Boots. The heels wore unevenly and I had them and the soles replaced. Better now but not that comfortable. I can try putting Dr Scholl's custom fit inserts in. I did that with some walking shoes and that  worked pretty well. I need to try them in the boots.

I'm cursed with really flat feet and most boots have about zero arch.

17 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

For StovePipe/preacher style, I like/wear those Boulet brand boots.  Cheapest I found them was at WWM when they are on sale.  They are comfy and all leather.  Some of the other brands I have seen look like pleather and are not comfortable at all.

Totes

Do they have any arch support that you noticed?

I have to second Garrison Joe's recommendations for White's boots.  Best support out there and custom made to actually fit.

The inserts are very important for me - and I need arch support.

I've used Ariat boots the most, but have other boots that work well if I put some good insets in them to replace the poor quality in most boots.

So now I get some really good insets, then take them with me when I shop for boots.  Gives me a lot more options.

I like my Ariats, but it doesn't really matter what boots I wear, after a match my feet are going to hurt, its just a question of how much. 

My arches are so high that when I leave a footprint there's almost no noticeable connection between the ball of my foot and the heel.   I would love to hear of boots that work for feet like that.  (I already wear inserts)

5 hours ago, Mossy Pops said:

Mine are the Oak Tree Preacher Boots. The heels wore unevenly and I had them and the soles replaced. Better now but not that comfortable. I can try putting Dr Scholl's custom fit inserts in. I did that with some walking shoes and that  worked pretty well. I need to try them in the boots.

I'm cursed with really flat feet and most boots have about zero arch.

That's not what mine are, I thought your's looked similar to what I have but I guess not!

13 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That's not what mine are, I thought your's looked similar to what I have but I guess not!

I thought they were the same also.

I put my high arch Dr Scholl inserts in just now and it makes the heel sit up too high and the insert sort of moves a little side to side too. Not a good solution. The trouble with period boots is they aren't available anywhere I'm at and buying online is kind of a pig in a poke.

One cure I have found is to sit down once in a while.  Standing for 6-8 hours will make a large 0/0 of any boot hurt even a custom made, or even barefooted, or even my Merecedes ostrich skins.  Also check out Footjoy golf shoe innersoles, they are the best, and will help your putting, chipping, duelest, gunfighter, or traditional hold.  

Why not get the same ones?  If 2 boots lasted you 14 years, that's very good.  Been shooting CAS for 24 years and I've worn out 8 boots.  If Ariats works out for you for those years, stick with it. IMO.

I have tried Dan Post and Justin Ropers that were fairly comfortable. I have some Ariat Stockman's that are very comfortable. But none of these are comfortable when walking on gravel all day. I bought a pair of Laredo square toes boots that are not only comfortable but have a stiff sole. I will be trying those out soon...I haven't had the chance yet as I bought them just be before my accident. 

Gravel kills my feet after a while.

11 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

There was a store in Lincoln Nebraska that sold the "Frontier boots" that so many liked.  But I don't know of a source for those any more.

I think that's what I have and they're the most comfortable boots I've ever owned! I have a pair of Boulets also but they're not half as comfortable!

It's strange......I wear Timberland work boots all day every day and my feet don't hurt at all. But I can't find a western boot that comfortable. Even the lower heel Ariat Roper's I have still hurt me feet after a long day at the range. ??????

13 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I think that's what I have and they're the most comfortable boots I've ever owned! I have a pair of Boulets also but they're not half as comfortable!

I found a boot called Fort Frontier Shooter Boots but it doesn't seem to be actively stocked or even manufactured anymore. I had this conversation with Fort Western's catalog manager:

Me08:58

You used to stock a boot called Fort Frontier Shooter Boots. are those boots available anymore?

Kathy joined chat

Kathy08:59

They are not as they are no longer being made unfortunately.

Me08:59

Is there an alternative similar to those?

Kathy09:01

The only this I would have remotely close would be a buckaroo boot and it wouldn't be as tall and wouldn't have the mule ear pulls

Me09:01

Ok, thanks.

Kathy09:02

We keep trying to find a boot maker to make them for us but no one is interested without making thousands of pairs at a time unfortunately

Me09:03

Too bad there aren't more CAS shooters. Any recommendations for a custom boot maker.

Kathy09:05

nothing that I have heard of lately, we could sell them if we could just get a boot make to make them for us. We used to see at least 10 pair a day

Me09:07

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I'll keep your sight bookmarked and loop back here if the custom route peters out.

I have Earthwalkers and love them! They are not cheep and it takes some time to get them but man are they great. After a shoot I don't even need to take them off, will never have another set of boots for shooting. 

http://earthwalkers.biz

45 minutes ago, Cowboy Junky said:

It's strange......I wear Timberland work boots all day every day and my feet don't hurt at all. But I can't find a western boot that comfortable. Even the lower heel Ariat Roper's I have still hurt me feet after a long day at the range. ??????

Howdy Cowboy Junky, you don't shoot CC or BW.....so the Timberline is what I'd wear;)

14 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

My arches are so high that when I leave a footprint there's almost no noticeable connection between the ball of my foot and the heel.   I would love to hear of boots that work for feet like that.  (I already wear inserts)

Howdy Captain, Have you ever tried Red Wing? I've had trouble feet forever, when I had to wear a boot and walk walls five stories up Red Wing was the only boot I could wear. I can't wear boots at all now so I wear Red Wing oxfords. To get the right fit you have to go to a RW store, they have a gizmo you stand on that will tell exactly what should fit...from AAA  to DD. If they don't have your correct size in stock get them to order them. ..Good Luck:)

1 hour ago, Chili Pepper Jack said:

I have Earthwalkers and love them! They are not cheep and it takes some time to get them but man are they great. After a shoot I don't even need to take them off, will never have another set of boots for shooting. 

http://earthwalkers.biz

Those look pretty comfortable. How long does the order take and did the size you ordered match what you expected?

On 10/10/2017 at 8:59 PM, Buckaroo Bubba said:

Howdy All,

Looking for recommendations for comfortable boots for CAS. Over the last 14 years, I have wore Ariats. Two pair over 14 years in this sport, can't complain about that. My latest pair have finally just wore out. My feet have been killing me, especially at 3-day matches. 

I shoot Gunfighter so I don't need anything flashy. Comfort and durability are the priority. 

Thought maybe someone would have some good choices for me. 

Thanks in advance, Bubba

"Comfortable boots" are about as elusive as hen's teeth.  What's comfortable for one, is pure agony for another.   It's all about the "fit".  

Archived