SASS Wire Forum

? about double barrel shotgun technique

Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L

Due to my actually staying awake for the entire match last Saturday I noticed we had on one stage 3 KD targets

After knocking down the first two . . .

do you load 2 shells or just 1 when shooting at the last one?

My guess is there is NO correct answer but wanted to see what other cowfolk do in this situation

cheyenne

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

You always reload two.  That way if you miss you do not have to reload a third time.

This X 1,000. And please let me re-emphasize ALWAYS! 

(And think about this, how often do you practice loading just one? Do you really want to try to do something you haven't practiced during the middle of a match?) 

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Due to my actually staying awake for the entire match last Saturday I noticed we had on one stage 3 KD targets

After knocking down the first two . . .

do you load 2 shells or just 1 when shooting at the last one?

My guess is there is NO correct answer but wanted to see what other cowfolk do in this situation

cheyenne

You guessed wrong :D

Always load 2 - UNLESS there is a range rule against shucking a live round on the ground.

If there is - load 2 anyway & shoot both.

Just what club did you shoot at?  I thought I shot at the same match, and did not see any stage with only 3 shotgun kd's.

Well someones gotta load one..always trust myself to knock it down..works 99% of the time !!

..unless shooting BP ..then I load 2

I used to always load two. At a big match, I was on the the last stage, taking the last shots. I fired one round to take down the last shotgun target and tried to open the gun to dump the last shell. IT WOULDN'T OPEN!!  I turned to declare a malfunction, still trying to open the action, and must have hit the trigger. It fired the round over the berm!  Local rule, which I was aware of and had no problem with made it a match DQ.

I now load only one round when making up a single target. I just make sure I'm on the target!!  Just me and my way of dealing with.......................... 

I load two because that is what I practice, and I find loading one I am more fumble fingered than if I loaded two and it is faster for me

I haven’t tried a SxS yet, but I would imagine another advantage to loading two, if you have double triggers, is that you don’t need to think during the rush of the moment which chamber is fired by which trigger?

1 hour ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

Just what club did you shoot at?  I thought I shot at the same match, and did not see any stage with only 3 shotgun kd's.

I modified the Jail stage to fit the question I had

cheyenne

11 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I modified the Jail stage to fit the question I had

cheyenne

This is a form of "fake news?" ^_^

2 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

If I had a dollar for every time I saw some load one and miss again I'd buy a new truck.........plus as others have said it's easier to do the same thing every time. 

Well, you ain't gonna buy a new truck off of me. I guess I'm the only one who just loads one. And yes, I have to remember which trigger to pull. Pretty simple, the front trigger fires the right side barrel. I always pull the front trigger first anyway.

The simple fact is I rarely miss with the shotgun, but I ain't shooting as fast as most of you fellers. I actually take the time to AIM before I shoot the shotgun. Yes, I aim the shotgun in this game, no different than a rifle, we ain't shooting at clays going 40mph.

Another reason I load two is because my shotgun shell slide has a loop for two shells.  If I pull one, the other one gets lonely and tries to jump ship and run away.  If I shuck it, and it falls with the rest of the brass and comes back with the other spent cases.

9 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Well, you ain't gonna buy a new truck off of me. I guess I'm the only one who just loads one. And yes, I have to remember which trigger to pull. Pretty simple, the front trigger fires the right side barrel. I always pull the front trigger first anyway.

The simple fact is I rarely miss with the shotgun, but I ain't shooting as fast as most of you fellers. I actually take the time to AIM before I shoot the shotgun. Yes, I aim the shotgun in this game, no different than a rifle, we ain't shooting at clays going 40mph.

Maybe not........but like I said I have seen it play out over and over (and one more time to really drive it home....lol) over again and you can take that to the bank. Even seen SKB shooters do it and then a second trigger isn't an option.........so they have to make sure they picked the correct bbl or then it really gets interesting. 

You have mentioned before you aren't as concerned about time but if you are like movements and repetition are your friend.

The OP referenced only three (3) KD shotgun targets, thus prompting the question of whether to load one or two for the third KD.

Even if there were four (4) KD targets, and you missed one of them, that would leave you with the same question - should I load one or two?

ANSWER:  59de41fa312a7_TwoFingers-RESIZED.jpg.76957f31805188b982e2cb3c968a5560.jpg

Also, loading two gives you a chance if you get a bad round or a light hammer strike.

AND shooting a 97 I still pull a second pair from the belt- just in case. With the sxs I load as many as there are holes for ammo. Regardless of how many are left to knock down. If you missed once.......

Imis

21 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I used to always load two. At a big match, I was on the the last stage, taking the last shots. I fired one round to take down the last shotgun target and tried to open the gun to dump the last shell. IT WOULDN'T OPEN!!  I turned to declare a malfunction, still trying to open the action, and must have hit the trigger. It fired the round over the berm!  Local rule, which I was aware of and had no problem with made it a match DQ.

I now load only one round when making up a single target. I just make sure I'm on the target!!  Just me and my way of dealing with.......................... 

I've shot at alot of clubs with the round rule, first i hears of it including shotgun. 

Archived