SASS Wire Forum

Sanitized non-political Post

Asked about the Las Vegas shooter, Sen ___________ said on Face the Nation on Sunday:

"Sen. _____________ (X-Calif.) said in an interview broadcast Sunday that no law could have stopped the suspected shooter, Stephen Paddock, who was behind last week's mass shooting in Las Vegas.

__________________ spoke on CBS News’s “Face the Nation” about gun legislation in the wake of the attack launched from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel targeting a country music concert.

“Could there have been any law passed that would've stopped him?” Host John Dickerson asked the senator.

“No, he passed background checks registering for handguns and other weapons on multiple occasions,” _________________ replied. 

Thank you, Senator.  There may be hope for reasoned discussion yet.  Well, maybe.

LL

I like the X-Men better than Senator X.

It would appear that even if the bump stocks were placed under NFA 1934 with full auto arms, he would have had he money to have paid the transfer taxes.  Whether he could have passed the background checks is open to question.  Even if the bump stocks or other converters to full auto were outlawed, it would appear that the evil genie would be out of the bottle and there might have been some available on the black market. 

Apart from that, it appears from reports that he had enough explosives materials in his car and possibly elsewhere to have done considerable damage to the hotel and the crowd.  It also appeared he was shooting 5.56mm ammo, and one report states he actually fired at those fuel tanks across from the hotel!  Fortunately, those rounds, if they hit the tanks didn't penetrate.  Imagine what would have happened if he had use a .30 cal. with API (armor piercing incendiary) bullets or even a .50 BMG with same!  :o An explosion and fire might have ensued that would have been even more horrific. (Moderator please note:  If the latter paragraph would give any similar nutcases any ideas, please feel free to delete!)

In short, there really is no absolute was or law that can prevent such atrocities if one nutcase or band of terrorists are determined to perpetrate such crimes. :(

Hmmm.

9-11 no guns used. Massive casualities.

OKC Bombing. No guns used. Massive casualities.

Nice, France. No guns used. Massive casualties. 

Bump stocks and firearms ain't the problem. 

43 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I saw that interview.  By the end of that next sentence Sen X revealed that was why all guns had to go.  I really enjoyed the pause and stammering when the host asked that question though. 

Hope I didn't dirty up the post. 

I was wondering if there was something else behind the quote.  It is the natural extension of the antis' logic that since they cannot guarantee that no further gun crimes will occur no matter what law is passed, it "stands to reason" that the only answer is to ban and confiscate all guns - that's what they really mean when they say "common sense gun laws".

At one point, I foolishly believed that Heller was a turning point, and that we were well on our way to ending the seemingly perpetual attack on the 2nd.  

Nope.

LL

What happened in Vegas was terrible, but has there been any official details released?  I want to know of the 50+ people killed how many were from gunshots?  Again, of the 500 injured how many were from gunshots?

I'd be willing to trade bump stocks for nation wide conceal carry permit reciprocity including any gun or magazine legal to carry in your permitted state is legal for you to carry in any state.  But only if it's in the same bill.  None of this, we'll address it later, stuff.  See, I'm willing to compromise.

Abilene, the only time I ever go to the Team SASS site is when one of the topics here in the Saloon is transferred to Team SASS.  Let Saloon threads stay here...please.

Have you seen how many pinned threads there are on Team SASS?   It reminds me of the required reading of an Army unit's SOPs.

10 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Abilene, the only time I ever go to the Team SASS site is when one of the topics here in the Saloon is transferred to Team SASS.  Let Saloon threads stay here...please.

Have you seen how many pinned threads there are on Team SASS?   It reminds me of the required reading of an Army unit's SOPs.

The pinned post on Team SASS explain what Team SASS is about, what our goal is and how we try to achieve our 2A goals.  They are not required reading. It seems a better way to get tha information to our State Directors than putting it in PDFs like the manuals for SASS and 90% are very short reads.  There is a lot of good information in them and Colonel Dan pinned them so they would not get archieved and lost; I have left them pinned for the same reason. Post in Team SASS must be related to 2A and of concern to all gun owners.  Any other type of political post is not allowed.

Charlie  

16 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I'd be willing to trade bump stocks for nation wide conceal carry permit reciprocity including any gun or magazine legal to carry in your permitted state is legal for you to carry in any state.  But only if it's in the same bill.  None of this, we'll address it later, stuff.  See, I'm willing to compromise.

I have said something similar, but my tradeoff was for the hearing protection act. 

On 10/9/2017 at 8:32 PM, Trailrider #896 said:

It would appear that even if the bump stocks were placed under NFA 1934 with full auto arms, he would have had he money to have paid the transfer taxes.  Whether he could have passed the background checks is open to question.  Even if the bump stocks or other converters to full auto were outlawed, it would appear that the evil genie would be out of the bottle and there might have been some available on the black market. 

Apart from that, it appears from reports that he had enough explosives materials in his car and possibly elsewhere to have done considerable damage to the hotel and the crowd.  It also appeared he was shooting 5.56mm ammo, and one report states he actually fired at those fuel tanks across from the hotel!  Fortunately, those rounds, if they hit the tanks didn't penetrate.  Imagine what would have happened if he had use a .30 cal. with API (armor piercing incendiary) bullets or even a .50 BMG with same!  :o An explosion and fire might have ensued that would have been even more horrific. (Moderator please note:  If the latter paragraph would give any similar nutcases any ideas, please feel free to delete!)

In short, there really is no absolute was or law that can prevent such atrocities if one nutcase or band of terrorists are determined to perpetrate such crimes. :(

I heard on the news that one did penetrate a tank.  The same report also said he had ammoin the room that would have ignited the jet A in the tanks as well as improve his shot placement on the crowd.  Of course if he did use tracers the intended victims & concert security would have immediately identified his shooting position.  I read recently about the deadliest WWII Spitfire ace was an order braking Canadian who had the ground crews load ammo belts with the tracers removed & replaced; so his prey didn't know he was on their six until bullets were tearing through their aircraft or themselves.  His brain was an organic ballistic computer.

I support what the NRA has said, a background check and $200.00 tax stamp on bump stocks like the "full auto" law.

Archived