SASS Wire Forum

ARE YOU TOUGH ENOUGH TO WEAR PINK? Tennessee State Championship

In addition to Ginny Hinney's post about breast cancer patients, a phone call on a regular basis helps. If you knew the person before the cancer diagnosis, why can't you know the person after the cancer diagnosis? My wife went through this is 2013, double mastectomy, chemo and radiation. You can't believe who she didn't hear from. Folks we had known for years, suddenly "disappeared". Later she was told, "I would have called, but I didn't know what to say." Well, how about ,"how are you doing today?" May I come visit? May I do some errands for you? So many small things that means so so much to a woman fighting breast cancer.

My wife knits caps to donate to the chemo centers for their patients. Going to those treatment centers was a real eye opener for me. Every one you see wearing some sort of head scarf or cap is fighting a real personal battle. You see and accept a bald headed man.....but a bald headed woman is a real eye opener. I cried one night as my wife came to bed a bald as bald could be. Her neatly cut hair had always been her crown. I also cried when I saw the very early "peach fuzz" coming back just a few weeks after her final chemo treatment. That's been nearly five years now, her hair is thinner, a little grayer, but beautiful to me. I have the "tough enough to wear pink" shirt, but she's the one that should be wearing it!

Archived