SASS Wire Forum

Gunbroker just pulled all Bump fire stock auctions

DAMNED COWARDS!!!

I understand that anyone with a 3D printer can fabricate one fairly easily. My son in law has one of those things that he paid a couple of hundred bucks for and he's turning out some pretty trick stuff. He's trying to build some gun grips and knife side plates now.

5 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I understand that anyone with a 3D printer can fabricate one fairly easily. My son in law has one of those things that he paid a couple of hundred bucks for and he's turning out some pretty trick stuff. He's trying to build some gun grips and knife side plates now.

Ok call me dumb, but what the heck is a 3D printer? And how can I make a stock?

4 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Ok call me dumb, but what the heck is a 3D printer? And how can I make a stock?

I'm still learning about them also, but there is a ton of information if you google it and go to YouTube. It's quite fascinating.

how do we present ourselves?   as a sporting communitity -- or as a bunch of whack-Os?

Gun Stores Selling Out Of Bump Stocks After Shooter Used Them In Las Vegas Massacre

We don't allow hell-fire triggers or bump-stocks at our range, period.    this stuff has been a NO-GO for many years now.

On the other thread one of our folks offered maybe this should be on the Team-SASS wire.    Dunno.      I think it's an important topic.

Personally my new 6,5mm CM rifle -- will be my 3d new firearm for the year.   So I clearly ain't opposed to owing guns and shooting.    I'm a member of 2 gun clubs and I like Cowboy Action, Trap, and Sporting Clays.    They have an Action Pistol event here too that I want to check out.   Probably have a lot of fun in that with my new Sprg. M1911

I don't think anyone here would like the idea of paddock using an M-60.

but here all I want to say is let's think a bit about how we present ourselves.

Let us not go soft on this!!  We have struggled and striven to regain ground lost during the Clinton years to the anti-gun owner crowd!!  Most folks are unaware that the 1934 SCOTUS decision to prevent the sale and possession of automatic weapons was arrived at by default.  The actual case was never tried because the plaintiff was absent, (unable to attend or prevented from attending?) and the government was awarded the decision because of it.  In fact, ownership of even the most efficient automatic weapon may actually be legal under the Constitution. 

We have given ground in the past in the name of compromise, allowing those whose intention was NEVER to compromise in preventing the free public from obtaining or possessing ANY kind of weapon!!  If we compromise again we are abrogating our responsibility to future generations to protect and defend the Constitution and the amendments thereto!!!  We are again at the edge of the "Slippery Slope"!!  We have yet to reach the precipice in our quest for freedom where the Second Amendment is concerned.  We shouldn't and MUST NOT slip off of this ledge.  At what point will we be able to stop our descent if we allow ourselves to be pushed down again???

and Blackwater once again steps down from the soap box

6 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Let us not go soft on this!!  We have struggled and striven to regain ground lost during the Clinton years to the anti-gun owner crowd!!  Most folks are unaware that the 1934 SCOTUS decision to prevent the sale and possession of automatic weapons was arrived at by default.  The actual case was never tried because the plaintiff was absent, (unable to attend or prevented from attending?) and the government was awarded the decision because of it.  In fact, ownership of even the most efficient automatic weapon may actually be legal under the Constitution. 

We have given ground in the past in the name of compromise, allowing those whose intention was NEVER to compromise in preventing the free public from obtaining or possessing ANY kind of weapon!!  If we compromise again we are abrogating our responsibility to future generations to protect and defend the Constitution and the amendments thereto!!!  We are again at the edge of the "Slippery Slope"!!  We have yet to reach the precipice in our quest for freedom where the Second Amendment is concerned.  We shouldn't and MUST NOT slip off of this ledge.  At what point will we be able to stop our descent if we allow ourselves to be pushed down again???

Well said.

16 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Another one who sees!

US V Miller was incomplete because he died. The issue was sawed-off shotguns which the court incorrectly held to NOT be military equipment despite evidence to the contrary. They did however affirm the possession of military grade weapons being consistent with the second ARTICLE otherwise known as the Second Amendment. Since the 1934 NFA did not ban these weapons and only required their registration it was upheld.

The Hughes amendment is something else. I watched this vote live on CSPAN. It was a travesty. The speaker refused to hold a roll call vote and declared the amendment passed despite the audible evidence that nays out-yelled the yays. Under US V Miller I believe this law would have been struck down had anyone challenged it.

In short, they were afraid their answer wouldn't be what they wanted. Call them cowards but the issue is they didn't want to end ip with something worse.

I must have gotten a dozen calls yesterday at the shop from goobers wanting a "butt-fire stock". It was kinda funny.

No matter what your stance on these stocks or devices that allow increased rates of fire from semi-auto's (though I will tell you that as a cop, gunsmith and firearms trainer for nigh-on 40 year a shooter with a standard stock using aimed fire would have done far more damage) make no mistake the other side will use this to get whatever restrictions they can.

Pelosi introduced a bill to outlaw light triggers or any trigger that can be made lighter to increase a rate of fire. Those timmney triggers for target guns? Gone. That light trigger spring for your Winchester? Gone. Probably doesn't have a chance of passing but there it is.

Me? I'm done compromising. I fired off letters to all my elected reps saying as much. I guess that means they'll put me on another list. Horrors.

3 hours ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

I don't think anyone here would like the idea of paddock using an M-60.

Based on the available evidence there was nothing preventing Paddock from procuring an M-60 or any other weapon that is on the NFA list. 

It has been repeated over and over that he was not on any local, state or federal governments watch list and he obviously had the funds necessary to purchase a M-60 plus the required ammunition.  Society is just fortunate that it either didn't occur to him, he couldn't locate one for sale, or the waiting period for the paperwork was just too long.

An inconvenient truth that most people will not admit is that there is nothing a society, free or otherwise, can do to prevent evil actions by those with the will to commit them.

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

An inconvenient truth that most people will not admit is that there is nothing a society, free or otherwise, can do to prevent evil actions by those with the will to commit them.

i like the term "Situation Control".    The Army taught us:   "Hope is not a method".    Given that bad situations do develop it is best to be prepared.   I think we can learn from the Israelis.    I was reading an article about this earlier;   perhaps I can find it again.

-- ah -- here we go:

America loses its security virginity in Las Vegas

Excerpt

When I travel abroad, I see how open, how vulnerable, the population of Western societies are to attack. Israelis have developed an instinct in seeing the security weaknesses of other countries. Holding a huge open-air concert under the windows of a tall hotel is one. Unchecked access to and from transport systems is another. These are soft targets for massive terror attacks. An attitude that it will never happen is not good enough in today’s age of homegrown terrorists and unhinged individuals.

13 minutes ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

i like the term "Situation Control".    The Army taught us:   "Hope is not a method".    Given that bad situations do develop it is best to be prepared.   I think we can learn from the Israelis.    I was reading an article about this earlier;   perhaps I can find it again.

-- ah -- here we go:

America loses its security virginity in Las Vegas

Excerpt

When I travel abroad, I see how open, how vulnerable, the population of Western societies are to attack. Israelis have developed an instinct in seeing the security weaknesses of other countries. Holding a huge open-air concert under the windows of a tall hotel is one. Unchecked access to and from transport systems is another. These are soft targets for massive terror attacks. An attitude that it will never happen is not good enough in today’s age of homegrown terrorists and unhinged individuals.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Clearly this is not the case. In fact, the existence of laws and law enforcement agencies doubtless prevents countless crimes from happening in the first place.

23 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

Sir 

with all due respect , I have to disagree with that , 

LE , can only step in AFTER a crime , 

Ever heard of Conspiracy?

someone set upon evil actions , will not be stopped except by  force 

Chickasaw BIll 

6 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Clearly this is not the case. In fact, the existence of laws and law enforcement agencies doubtless prevents countless crimes from happening in the first place.

Laws, like locks, are made to keep honest people honest!!  MOST law enforcement only comes into play after the fact.  Law abiding people obey the law.  The cops usually take inventory of the crime and track down the criminals once the laws are broken.

A society only works if those who belong to it are willing to abide by the rules!!!

They have been around for what, 10 years?  Now, ONE - count it ONE - incident and it is the lefts Cause of the Month.  Just about any center fire semi-auto can be bump fired without one of those stocks.  It's nothing new, really.  But the antis have seized on it as the new Curse of Mankind.

Personally, I think they are stupid and a way to waste ammo, but, as others have said, "Ни шагу назад!"  We have "compromised" too much.  Every compromise is a step back for our civil rights and a step forward for the antis.  The more we give in, the more they want.  

Illustrated-Guide-To-Gun-Control

This is exactly what has happened in California.  Don't let it happen to our republic.

"Ни шагу назад!" 

I have No use for One of them Ammo wasting uncontrolled fire bump fire peace of crap stocks .

I see No use or need at all.

But if we give  1 inch .

Them Basterds will take 10 miles !

Just sayin 

Rooster 

gun control is a specious argument: proponents claim it is for the good of the people but that is not the object.   The object is to disarm the general population so that tyranny can be maintained.

let's talk about some things that are positive.   Such as the NRA "Eddie Eagle" program for gun safety for young kids.    This is an excellent program and absolutely in the right direction.    I wish I'd been taught that when I was 16 instead of being treated to John Wayne movies every weekend.

While John Wayne moves are fun -- they are not the way to learn gun safety.   Nor are the hOLLYWOOD films and vIDEO gAMES that are being marketed today.

Let's focus on SITUATION CONTROL -- as taught in Israel:    anticipate possible hazards and provide protection.    In the Army they taught us:    do not try to guess what the enemy will do:    consider the possibilities open to him.

Review and improve strategy for suppression of street gangs such as MS-13

Social work can be very beneficial -- although it offers also the opportunity for abuse.    Proper review procedures should be in place.

Money Talks

a couple good folks here have made some good and valid points about costs and insurance.   My thought here is that any presentation which will draw a large audience needs to have a Security Plan.    That Security Plan should be IAW Best Practice guidelines.   The Security Plan could then be reviewed against the Best Practice Guidelines and -- if inadequate -- no insurance.    No insurance; no show.

Archived