Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capt. James H. Callahan

What do y'all think about this bump stock business?

Recommended Posts

This is probably a topic for the Team SASS forum.

Share this post


Link to post

I always laughed at people who bought them figuring it is bound to make you less accurate and once firing a full auto i doubted it would give you the same thrill.  ammo cost too much to waste.  i imagine he had a low hit ratio per rounds fired, though i have not heard the actual round count. regarding a new law, we might be better off letting amateurs get one and be less accurate to lower the fatalities.  

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I always laughed at people who bought them figuring it is bound to make you less accurate and once firing a full auto i doubted it would give you the same thrill.  ammo cost too much to waste.  i imagine he had a low hit ratio per rounds fired, though i have not heard the actual round count. regarding a new law, we might be better off letting amateurs get one and be less accurate to lower the fatalities.  

Tightly packed crowd of thousands. Sustained fore for 10 minutes.  Hard to miss. Accuracy wasn’t a factor. I dare say until the crowd began to disburse, there were many many casualties.

Share this post


Link to post

First of all, I did not know a semi-auto rifle could be so easily modified to give auto performance.  But goodness, do the liberal gun grabbers now have an "issue changer" dropped into their laps to ban all semi-automatic "assault rifles."   They know now that semi-auto AR-15 type rifles can be easily converted into something like an automatic "assault rifle."  Hard to explain to my non-gun owning friends now that they, and me, have found out how easy skirting around the automatic firearms laws are.  Folks, we should have been policing ourselves.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Morning Reading

 

Vegas killer led 'secret life' that made him lots of money Motive still a mystery but sheriff gives 1 whopper clue

 

Common Threads in Mass Murders

 

excerpt

 

Quote

Overwhelming evidence points to the signal largest common factor in all of these incidents and it is the fact that all of the perpetrators were either actively taking powerful psychotropic drugs or had been at some point in the immediate past before they committed their crimes.

It is the use of psychotropic drugs such as antidepressants that ties so many of these horrific events together. In case after case the perpetrators were either taking them or they had been taking them recently. Anyone who has ever tried to kick a drug habbit knows the depths of depression that can bring.

 

Share this post


Link to post

This for me wasn't so hard to consider, owning FA firearms for several decades. All the people that I know that own FA weapons are responsible shooters, collectors. They have gone through a very extensive background check and need a stamp for them. Owning one also means that when transported out of state, paperwork is required. Owning means responsibility comes with it also knowing the restriction to owning one. As to the "bump stock", I have seen irresponsible people at ranges, spraying a clip with no intend of any form for accuracy, Amateurs, show-offs are my readings on them.

There are only so many FA firearms available to the public, and everyone that is transferable have been accounted for. There are more, but these are restricted to be transferred only between dealer to dealer, and police departments FA to other Departments or Class 3 dealers. These cannot be sold to the public.

Bump Stocks in my opinion,  once approved, should have been classified and restricted same as FA. Like I said, I seen too many that truly do not know how to handle a weapon with the BS, that shows responsibility, and possible safely done. MT

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

As to the "bump stock", I have seen irresponsible people at ranges, spraying a clip with no intend of any form for accuracy, Amateurs, show-offs are my readings on them.

 

I like your analysis here.   It's an on-going issue at the 2 clubs I belong to.   IMHO ( for whatever that's worth ) Hollywood and Video Games are a contributing factor to this urge to light em up on Rock & Roll.  ("I wanna be like Rambo")   If that's recreational shooting there's folks more than just me who think it's un-cool.    There's probably a time and place for it;    those interested should check for ranges that promote such activities.

 

I have on the shelf a book entitled _Stop Teaching our Kids to Kill_ by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman and Gloria DeGaetano.     This deals with the relationship between hollywood entertainment and violence in society.    I suspect the drug issue is also relevant.

 

I think we need to do what we can to re-focus the problem of violence to Situation Control.

 

Situations are going to occur;    how we respond is key.

 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

First of all, I did not know a semi-auto rifle could be so easily modified to give auto performance.  But goodness, do the liberal gun grabbers now have an "issue changer" dropped into their laps to ban all semi-automatic "assault rifles."   They know now that semi-auto AR-15 type rifles can be easily converted into something like an automatic "assault rifle."  Hard to explain to my non-gun owning friends now that they, and me, have found out how easy skirting around the automatic firearms laws are.  Folks, we should have been policing ourselves.

 

 

 

The liberal gun grabbers have known for years about "bump stocks"!!  The furor over them was loud and clear back in 2010 when the administration that held control at the time allowed the BATF to pass on any restrictions. It was a subtle win for our side!!  I remember this!!  My son demonstrated the other day how easy you can mimic this technique WITHOUT even purchasing a "bump stock".  A little practice was all that was required.  

 

As to how to explain anything to "my non-gun owning friends", I've found that most of them will ignore your explanation and most likely make their decisions on an emotional level anyway!!!

 

This will likely become another "compromise" issue that the opposition has NO INTENTION of compromising on, so let's just not give them the chance!!!

Share this post


Link to post

I don't own one, don't want one, never heard of one before this. IMO, bump stocks and any other mechanism that converts a firearm into a full auto, should come under the same regs as the Firearms Act of 1934.  Will that prevent someone from illegally converting a gun into a full auto? No, of course not. Does the law prohibiting murder, robbery or other crimes actually prevent someone from committing those crimes?  No, of course not. But certainly adding certain devices to the category of the NFA 1934 might help prevent someone who shouldn't have that capability from doing so legally!  Had this perp lived, he probably could not have been charged with anything to do with the bump stock, because, under current law, he could have obtained them legally.

 

Could we be facing the "slippery slope"?  Yes, but perhaps the slippery slope is better than having us shoved over the cliff by the anti's!  We'll just have to see what
"The 535+1" do. :(

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I don't own one, don't want one, never heard of one before this. IMO, bump stocks and any other mechanism that converts a firearm into a full auto, should come under the same regs as the Firearms Act of 1934.  Will that prevent someone from illegally converting a gun into a full auto? No, of course not. Does the law prohibiting murder, robbery or other crimes actually prevent someone from committing those crimes?  No, of course not. But certainly adding certain devices to the category of the NFA 1934 might help prevent someone who shouldn't have that capability from doing so legally!  Had this perp lived, he probably could not have been charged with anything to do with the bump stock, because, under current law, he could have obtained them legally.

 

Could we be facing the "slippery slope"?  Yes, but perhaps the slippery slope is better than having us shoved over the cliff by the anti's!  We'll just have to see what
"The 535+1" do. :(

 

Even if they had been an NFA item NOTHING prior to his actions Sunday night would have precluded him from legally purchasing anything currently on the NFA list.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Never having owned a so called "bump stock" before I watched a few YouTube videos and IMHO without to much work a reasonably skilled individual could craft one rather easily. Testing it without the neighbors complaining might be a problem. Does anyone out there believe that the anti gun folks will be happy with just a bump stock ban? I read the NRA's statement and I'm not sure that's what they want either.

Share this post


Link to post

The modern tacti-cool weaponry doesn't appeal to me personally other than as long time model builder and kit basher there is something interesting about the AR15 fad.  But you can customize any long gun if you take the time to learn to do it right.  I think the bump stocks are a work around, probably not a good idea.  Do I think people need to be able to buy mil spec weapons?  Not really.  Would I stop them from doing it?  Probably not.  I admit I have zero reason to ever own or fire a .50 BMG, but I would really like to.  The key words in the 2nd, to me, were always "well regulated".  I don't mind regulations, I am a fairly law abiding person.  Granted I prefer a modern weapon made within modern tolerances for self defense but that weapon doesn't fall into the spray and pray category.  But if someone said, "Hey Drew, I have this original Browning machine gun for sale!" I would have to seriously consider if I needed to own a fully automatic weapon.  I wouldn't mind seeing some of the regulation applied to hand guns applied to the sale and purchase of long guns.  I bought two 6 shooters on the same day so the ATF got a little beep out of their computer and my name was flagged for buying two pistols on the same day.  I could have bought a shot gun two deer rifles and a mini 14 and there would be no beep. (not that I find that purchase excessive at all)  I almost hate going to gun shows because of all the shiny awesome things i can find there that I believe really need to come home and live in my house.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

As to how to explain anything to "my non-gun owning friends", I've found that most of them will ignore your explanation and most likely make their decisions on an emotional level anyway!!!

 

Yeah, I gotta admit my social circle has been all a flutter with cries of "CHANGE ALL THE GUN LAWS!"  When I ask what laws that person would like to change they generally can't quote any existing gun laws for their state much less federal regulations.  I am no expert, not even close, but when my wife and I decided to be gun owners we went out, took safety courses with NRA instructors (generally I am not fond of the NRA but they do offer the best instruction, and they offer liability insurance for gun owners I just don't dig their politics) We researched local and federal gun laws.  So you open a discussion with said friends, find out what they know, point them to accurate info when you can.  They say thank you, I appreciate your providing this information, I will take this into account.  Then they run in circles screaming, "CHANGE ALL THE GUN LAWS!"  I ask myself why I just put that effort in.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

A ban on semis has already been mentioned.

 

Yea for the millionth time!!! Ain't gonna happen!

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Never having owned a so called "bump stock" before I watched a few YouTube videos and IMHO without to much work a reasonably skilled individual could craft one rather easily. Testing it without the neighbors complaining might be a problem. Does anyone out there believe that the anti gun folks will be happy with just a bump stock ban? I read the NRA's statement and I'm not sure that's what they want either.

 

So I am not the only one that didn't see their statement as supporting a ban but rather asking the ATF to clarify their ruling.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

 

So I am not the only one that didn't see their statement as supporting a ban but rather asking the ATF to clarify their ruling.

 

 

 

Might even be a political move on part of the NRA. They've asked for a discussion. Simply doing so shuts some of the anti-NRA dialogue immediately down if the NRA is spearheading what the left thinks it wants.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CurlyDrew42 said:

The modern tacti-cool weaponry doesn't appeal to me personally other than as long time model builder and kit basher there is something interesting about the AR15 fad.  But you can customize any long gun if you take the time to learn to do it right.  I think the bump stocks are a work around, probably not a good idea.  Do I think people need to be able to buy mil spec weapons?  Not really.  Would I stop them from doing it?  Probably not.  I admit I have zero reason to ever own or fire a .50 BMG, but I would really like to.  The key words in the 2nd, to me, were always "well regulated".  I don't mind regulations, I am a fairly law abiding person.  Granted I prefer a modern weapon made within modern tolerances for self defense but that weapon doesn't fall into the spray and pray category.  But if someone said, "Hey Drew, I have this original Browning machine gun for sale!" I would have to seriously consider if I needed to own a fully automatic weapon.  I wouldn't mind seeing some of the regulation applied to hand guns applied to the sale and purchase of long guns.  I bought two 6 shooters on the same day so the ATF got a little beep out of their computer and my name was flagged for buying two pistols on the same day.  I could have bought a shot gun two deer rifles and a mini 14 and there would be no beep. (not that I find that purchase excessive at all)  I almost hate going to gun shows because of all the shiny awesome things i can find there that I believe really need to come home and live in my house.

 

You make several statements that give me great concern. Why shouldn't a person be able to buy mil-spec weapons? What makes a mil-spec firearm so dangerous that an ordinary citizen cannot be trusted with one? You do realize that the Colt Single Action Army is a mil-spec firearm as are most of the firearm designs used in SASS. The reason the AR-15 is so popular is because it is mil-spec firearm. That mil-spec is responsible for all the interchangeability that allows owners to customize the basic rifle to suit their particular needs.

 

Take any regulation you are "OK" with and apply it to any of the other articles in the bill of rights. Would you still be Ok with it? Should you have to obtain a background check to speak in public or join an internet forum? The spoken and written word has caused more harm to people than all the weapons manufactured since the dawn of man.

 

While it is true that no other country experiences firearm related events like the one that happened Sunday night. This country doesn't experience the other forms of violence that has permeated the rest of the world. A firearm is a tool when a person decides to commit an evil act he or she will use the tools available to them. Had Paddock used the 50 lbs of high explosive that he had in his car and detonated it in the middle of the concert the resulting carnage would have been much much greater. 

 

So you bought two pistols in one day. In some states it takes MONTHS to legally acquire just one of the firearms we use in SASS because apathetic gun owners are OK with some regulation.  Criminals on the other hand can acquire them virtually at will and no law or amount of "well regulated" restrictions will ever change that. 

 

I am asking your these questions for the same reason you take all your anti-gun friends to task when they run in circles screaming that we should change all the gun laws yet have no clue what laws they are talking about.

 

 

The single most dangerous, abused, and at the same time the most precious right we have in the country is the right to vote.

Maybe it is about high time we apply some common sense laws to prevent people from voting without doing their due diligence.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

 

You make several statements that give me great concern. Why shouldn't a person be able to buy mil-spec weapons? What makes a mil-spec firearm so dangerous that an ordinary citizen cannot be trusted with one? You do realize that the Colt Single Action Army is a mil-spec firearm as are most of the firearm designs used in SASS. The reason the AR-15 is so popular is because it is mil-spec firearm. That mil-spec is responsible for all the interchangeability that allows owners to customize the basic rifle to suit their particular needs.

 

Take any regulation you are "OK" with and apply it to any of the other articles in the bill of rights. Would you still be Ok with it? Should you have to obtain a background check to speak in public or join an internet forum? The spoken and written word has caused more harm to people than all the weapons manufactured since the dawn of man.

 

While it is true that no other country experiences firearm related events like the one that happened Sunday night. This country doesn't experience the other forms of violence that has permeated the rest of the world. A firearm is a tool when a person decides to commit an evil act he or she will use the tools available to them. Had Paddock used the 50 lbs of high explosive that he had in his car and detonated it in the middle of the concert the resulting carnage would have been much much greater. 

 

So you bought two pistols in one day. In some states it takes MONTHS to legally acquire just one of the firearms we use in SASS because apathetic gun owners are OK with some regulation.  Criminals on the other hand can acquire them virtually at will and no law or amount of "well regulated" restrictions will ever change that. 

 

I am asking your these questions for the same reason you take all your anti-gun friends to task when they run in circles screaming that we should change all the gun laws yet have no clue what laws they are talking about.

 

 

The single most dangerous, abused, and at the same time the most precious right we have in the country is the right to vote.

Maybe it is about high time we apply some common sense laws to prevent people from voting without doing their due diligence.

I could/would have said more, but keeping my fingers off the keyboard. Rather would go the face to face further discussion. You did good. MT

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Why shouldn't a person be able to buy mil-spec weapons?

 

I mean modern mil spec stuff.  And more exactly stuff designed specifically for the modern ground war.  It's a personal opinion.  I don't really mind that people can buy them or that they do own them.  I just think it's a little over kill, no pun intended.  As a child of the 80s there is a part of me that really wants an Uzi with a suppressor and a folding stock.  Since I am not king of the world my opinion doesn't really matter much and since I would not vote to suspend them at this time it's sort of moot.

 

5 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Take any regulation you are "OK" with and apply it to any of the other articles in the bill of rights.

You might be surprised at how many built in regulations we have in the amendments when you really analyze them.  Freedom of speech doesn't cover nearly as many things as people seems to think it does, just as an example. My personal ideas of regulation are pretty moderate. I think firearms should be like cars.  Training, licensing, Insurance, renewal.  Now everyone I know who is a responsible gun owner, including myself, already meet some of these criteria.

 

14 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

While it is true that no other country experiences firearm related events like the one that happened Sunday night.

Notice, I am not blaming Sunday on lack of regulation or gun laws in general.  If someone wants to commit a violent act they are going to commit a violent act doesn't matter if they use a gun or a claw hammer or a good sized rock.  Personally i think that SP could have caused way more damage with a high powered hunting rifle some good optics and a suppressor.  He could have taken those bomb makings dump an emulsion of paraffin and carpenters nails around it Ted Bundy style and set it off in the parking area of the concert.  His body count would have been much higher.  As it is that much explosive in the parking structure of the hotel would have caused significant damage to the building.  I am not arguing your point at all.  I am not arguing any of your points actually.

 

21 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

apply some common sense laws

 

Unfortunately common sense is in precious short supply.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

 

So I am not the only one that didn't see their statement as supporting a ban but rather asking the ATF to clarify their ruling.

 

 

That's my interpretation.

Share this post


Link to post

The 'gun' is just a 'tool'-The person IS the weapon.

I have fired several AR's with the BS. If you keep clean, works pretty well, just not my 'thing'. They are fun with a .22 AR!

I have also fired many FA/select fire weapons and own a .50 BMG Mac Bros rifle.

I would love to own a full auto, won't happen while I'm in PRK. I will not give up my 50 BMG bolt gun.

Folks that think the NRA is correct here, really need to look back in NRA's history a bit.

OLG

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

own a .50 BMG Mac Bros rifle

 

So jealous . . .

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, CurlyDrew42 said:

 

I mean modern mil spec stuff.  And more exactly stuff designed specifically for the modern ground war.  It's a personal opinion.  I don't really mind that people can buy them or that they do own them.  I just think it's a little over kill, no pun intended.  As a child of the 80s there is a part of me that really wants an Uzi with a suppressor and a folding stock.  Since I am not king of the world my opinion doesn't really matter much and since I would not vote to suspend them at this time it's sort of moot.

 

 

You do realize that the AR design is over 60 years old. How old does it have to be before is is no longer considered modern? It happens to be a good design that has withstood the test of time.

 

Just because you don't want one doesn't mean you shouldn't fight for the rights of others to own one if they want to. This is the problem in the PRoK and other states. If every gun owner would actually defend the Second Amendment States like California, New York and others wouldn't be the leaders in ignorant anti-gun laws that do absolutely nothing to curb violence. They only punish law abiding people such as yourself.

 

Once they circumvent the 2nd they will focus on something else. It is a good bet that the First Amendment is next under the guise of eliminating "Hate Speech"  After that maybe it will be whether or not you can buy a certain type of automobile or how many TVs you can own. I have no doubt that once they get their foot in the door nothing is off limits. Do Gooders just cannot help themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You do realize that the AR design is over 60 years old. How old does it have to be before is is no longer considered modern? It happens to be a good design that has withstood the test of time.

Yup and it IS a good design.  Like I said I find it interesting even if it is not my taste, it very much appeals to the tool using monkey part of my brain that likes to tweak and customize things.  And i wouldn't stop anyone from having one, even if i think they are unnecessary, which means I would not vote to limit the ability to buy or own them based on their tacti-cool appeal.  If you let legislation like that go through it sets a precedent.  I get it.  Quit trying to convince me of something I already believe :)

 

We will have to agree to disagree about hate speech.  That falls under clear and present danger for me.  I am very much in the punch a nazi in the face at every opportunity faction.

indiana-jones-punching-a-nazi.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Suggested reading

 

What about Event Security?

 

Excerpt

 

Quote

You would not think that a country-music festival would require the same kind of security planning as a meeting of the WTO ministers, and maybe it doesn’t — but, increasingly, it requires something of the kind. That is not intended as a criticism of the organizers of the Las Vegas concert or of the authorities in Las Vegas; the usual standard in commercial law is that parties such as concert organizers or landlords have a responsibility to protect their customers from criminal acts that are “reasonably predictable.”

 

this is one of the most sensible articles I've read on this: it suggests an effective approach to the issue.    there are elements of the so called "left" which would love to dis-arm America and they love specious arguments for their cause.    While we all see through their crap it may be helpful to advocate to offer a response that has a good change of being effective.

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, CurlyDrew42 said:

 

indiana-jones-punching-a-nazi.jpg

 

Great movie!

 

Wholeheartedly agree on Nazi punching IN DA FACE! !!!!

 

Inglorious Basterds on the other hand is a great Nazi killing movie. (WWII fantasy movie, fer them of you what don't know.;))

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

What about Event Security?

 

There was a fella interviewed on NPR, former federal type to became a big time security consultant in Vegas.  He pulled no punches and straight said that you would never get the big hotels to up security even to the point of installing metal detectors.  Too much of a lo$$ for them.

 

Now as someone who used to work concert security, that job pays crap.  You do it to get free shows and the excuse to rough up drunks on a regular basis.  Most concert security is unarmed.  The insurance for a company to have armed guards is stupidly expensive and the training on top of that isn't cheap either.  The guys who do armed security are usually bonded and they pay that off over a period of time and they cost a lot of money to have at your event.  When I started that gig my boss told me, if you hear gun fire, hide under something.

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:08 AM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Have mixed emotions about this. Don't have one myself, not sure if they should remain legal, but sure hate to see the anti's get their foot in the door. Thoughts?

JHC

 

 

Hey Capt... I think you already have me on... "ban".   It's OK... whatever I did... I probly deserved it,  Trust me... I don't hold it again ya.

 

But for everbody else... since the '70's... I've seen bump-stocks on a buncha weapons.  AR-15's... AK-47's... AK-74's... etc.  They're easy-like... springed-stock... coat-hanger wrapped 'round the trigger... and loose shoulder grip and a willingness to get pummeled by the kick-back.

 

Hell... they used it in Angola... long ago.

 

It's hard to outlaw that.  Better... to monitor and council mental illness... and them religious fanatics.    It's just sick... and makes me sicker than I am right now... 'bout them folks that died needlessly.

 

Just SAD.... PERIOD.

 

adr

 

Share this post


Link to post

I'd rather have a Jerry Miculek! :lol::lol::lol:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

NYC uses counter sniper teams for the NYE party in Times Square. 

 

Lot's of security there. 

 

It CAN be done.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, CurlyDrew42 said:

 

We will have to agree to disagree about hate speech.  That falls under clear and present danger for me.  I am very much in the punch a nazi in the face at every opportunity faction.

 

Playing the Devil's advocate here, your "punch a NAZI in the face" statement is DEFINITELY hate speech!!:lol: While I can't disagree with the sentiment, it IS by definition, "hate speech"!

 

I find myself biting my tongue more often these days to avoid what would be called "Hate Speech" in dealing with some people and situations.  This again is a product of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!  In many cases, certain groups are criticized for "hate speech" while others are allowed free rein and are able to say even the most inflammatory things with impunity.

 

(Allie or Pat may get me for this, but.............) I've created a new group to belong to for those instances where someone really needs a good "Dog Cussin' " and you're the only one there to provide the needed performance!  The American Select Society Helping Others Less Enlightened is that new organization.  Our slogan is the same as my signature!  Members have mistletoe attached to their shirt tails!!  ;)  :rolleyes:

 

Curly!  You said in an earlier post that you saw firearms the same way you see cars, (paraphrasing).  Firearms and the right to self defense are a right granted by our creator and guaranteed by the Constitution while cars and driving are a privilege we enjoy under county, city, state, and federal law.  I recognize the "state's" right to regulate driving and motor vehicles, (I don't always agree with their point of view) but I oppose any and all attempts to regulate my possession and acquisition of whatever weapon I want or need for the defense of myself, my family and friends, my property, and my freedom.  You are free to disagree.

 

ADDITION!!  Curly!!  You should come to the Southeast and enjoy the hospitality we're famous for!!  We don't generally bite and we fix the best food you'll ever taste!!  We shoot year 'round and we throw the dangdest parties!!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

DEFINITELY hate speech!!:lol: While I can't disagree with the sentiment, it IS by definition, "hate speech"!

I dunno, I have punched several people I didn't hate.

Share this post


Link to post

Some good discussions here. Just to add to my previous post, and again, my views. As to the BS, NRA, and FAs. Back when Thompsons came out, there were no restrictions to civilian purchasing, Thompson even had ads showing how a rancher could protect his livestock against ravaging wolves with a Thompson. But during the 20s, and early 30s with prohibition and rise in gangster who used the FAs, Thompsons, BARs against each other and Law enforcement, many innocent people were also in their cross fire, one reason for the ban on sales to civilians, yet, still with thorough background checks and fees, in a way they weren't totally banned, but were available to responsible civilians. But with the BS, I never had any interest in owning one, but felt that sooner or later they would be used in committing a crime, or same as bombing, using vehicles, a terrorists, foreign or home grown would use one in a crowd, or event to commit carnage.

What happened in Las Vegas, has now added fodder to those that want to take away our firearms, and or want to have the 2nd amendment removed, of which has been brought up. As to talk and writing that the NRA is abandoning us, no their not, but they also see what allowing the BS to be available without restrictions, may cause further harm to our 2nd amendment. Rather then condemn, support those that fight for our rights and liberty's.

Every time there has been shootings, the news reporters first words are "automatic" firearm, "assault rifle", misleading the general public to believe that FA were used and adding fodder to having total ban on all firearms.

Rather then condemning, lets support, and let NRA know that restriction would be the route on BSs, and that may very well be their stand, which I support.

As to bans, and what the government can restrict to individuals and make it illegal to have or possess, does anyone remember or heard of "executive order 6102"?  Today, we would laugh, back when it was passed, it was serious and people went to jail and prison. MT 

Just adding- One must remember those that preach gun control, live in gated fortresses and have gun carrying guards to protect them. When criminals confront us, our family, or our home, what happens or do you do during the 15 to 30 minutes while we wait for help to arrive if your defenseless? Remember, only law abiding people follow the laws. Removing all firearms, will never disarm those that wish to commit harm, no matter what, or how many laws are passed. Even some of the firearm laws on the book, are never enforced against the criminals when caught.

Share this post


Link to post

As a guy who spent his entire adult life in government service/cop I tend to look at things differently. Back when I was working that job, I worked major sporting events, concerts, rallies and the like. Up until now the threat was never great enough to deploy counter-snipers, tactical teams for response etc.

 

It is now.

 

It makes no difference if the shooter was ISIS or democrat, pink or blue or just some vanilla whitebread cupcake with an attitude. Incidents like this are the norm. If he hadn't used a gun he would have used a truck or something.

 

The days of concerts ignoring and failing to adaquately cover the tall building overlooking the venue and hiring only low rent rent-a-mall-cop security are over. I doubt we'll see TSA type security at hotels but I'd be willing to bet you'll see more 'tactical operators' of one sort or another. But not much. A good friend I used to work for retired and went full time with his security company. People, according to him are not willing to pay for such security. And they won't.

 

I must have gotten eleventy-jillion calls at the shop the last few days about bump fire stocks. These bozos don't even know what they are but they want one because...because.

 

The average misinformation on the 'news' is astounding. "Turns your rifle into a machine gun". That's rich. They make a semi-auto belt fed copy of the FN SAW. Eight grand a pop and readily available so why didn't richie-rich boy have one of those? LOL

 

I don't agree with the NRA's stance. ATF says these stocks are legal and by definition don't turn a semi-auto into a machine gun. What they did was inadvertently open the door for review of any device that 'increases the firepower' 'allows greater rates of fire' and entices Congress to make up laws addressing that.

 

Legislation to ban any trigger that is light or can be lightened. Yeah, they have already proposed that. As time goes on even those moderate republicans who have jumped on the bandwagon, like one of my own senators are gonna realize that this is the third rail. No I'm not in favor of trading this for that. I don't care about the hearing protection act or national reciprocity to trade them for this because that just opens the door to these bullies. (bullies being the people who jump at chances like this to further their own agenda) I learned as a kid there's only one sure way of fixing bullies; you bloody their nose and boot'em in the jewels, figuratively speaking in this case, they'll go away.

 

I'm not trading my liberty for safety, no thank you. The days of compromising are OVER because we all know they'll always come back for more and more and more until there's nothing left.

Share this post


Link to post
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.