SASS Wire Forum

What do y'all think about this bump stock business?

Capt. James H. Callahan

See my comment 

in the other thread about these stocks.

37 minutes ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

Incidents like this are the norm.

I respectfully disagree with that statement.  They are far from being the norm.  We aren't talking about a dozen a year in a town of 20,000.  Leaving inter-gang violence out of the count, we are talking a couple of incidents a year in a continent-wide nation of ~320,000,000 citizens.  A nation with maybe 100,000,000 gun owners.  The reason, other than the shear madness of it, that they make such an impact is because they are not the norm.

We have, stretching the numbers a bit, call it 130,000 injuries and deaths per year by means of firearm.  That's all causes - criminal, negligent, suicide, and justifiable.  130,000.  If we make the false assumption that each one of those is a solitary act by a different individual, we have roughly 13/100 of 1% of all gun owners who harm themselves or others with firearms.  

"Gun violence" doesn't make the top ten on the CDC list of causes of death.  Mass shootings barely make a statistical blip on a chart.  

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting Read:

Common Threads in Mass Murders

Excerpt

According to the Citizens Commission on Human Rights International, “At least 36 school shootings and/or school-related acts of violence have been committed by those taking or withdrawing from psychiatric drugs resulting in 172 wounded and 80 killed (in other school shootings, information about their drug use was never made public—neither confirming or refuting if they were under the influence of prescribed drugs).”

Dan Roberts of AmmoLand has compiled the following partial list:

15 hours ago, Tennessee Stud said:

Hey Capt... I think you already have me on... "ban".   It's OK... whatever I did... I probly deserved it,  Trust me... I don't hold it again ya.

But for everbody else... since the '70's... I've seen bump-stocks on a buncha weapons.  AR-15's... AK-47's... AK-74's... etc.  They're easy-like... springed-stock... coat-hanger wrapped 'round the trigger... and loose shoulder grip and a willingness to get pummeled by the kick-back.

Hell... they used it in Angola... long ago.

It's hard to outlaw that.  Better... to monitor and council mental illness... and them religious fanatics.    It's just sick... and makes me sicker than I am right now... 'bout them folks that died needlessly.

Just SAD.... PERIOD.

adr

No, I don't have you or ANYONE on the SASS wire blocked or anyway restricted. Facebook is another matter.

JHC

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

See my comment 

in the other thread about these stocks.

I respectfully disagree with that statement.  They are far from being the norm.  We aren't talking about a dozen a year in a town of 20,000.  Leaving inter-gang violence out of the count, we are talking a couple of incidents a year in a continent-wide nation of ~320,000,000 citizens.  A nation with maybe 100,000,000 gun owners.  The reason, other than the shear madness of it, that they make such an impact is because they are not the norm.

We have, stretching the numbers a bit, call it 130,000 injuries and deaths per year by means of firearm.  That's all causes - criminal, negligent, suicide, and justifiable.  130,000.  If we make the false assumption that each one of those is a solitary act by a different individual, we have roughly 13/100 of 1% of all gun owners who harm themselves or others with firearms.  

"Gun violence" doesn't make the top ten on the CDC list of causes of death.  Mass shootings barely make a statistical blip on a chart.  

You are absolutely correct Joe,

mass shootings, statistically, are a tiny blip when taken into the larger 'gun violence' picture. Also remember the left likes to include suicide in those numbers to inflate them, much as they classify 21 year old gang memebers as 'teenagers' or whatever. Its the old potomac two-step.

But these mass shootings, as small a stastic as they are, ARE the new norm unfortunately. That they happen more frequently I attribute that to the mainstream media pumping up the volume so to speak. Regardless, they are happeming and other than instituting extreme security measures, roadblock checkpoints and the like, are difficult to prevent.

Can we counter them? Sure can. Had more of the officers at that concert been equipped with rifles WITH THEM, they could have. Of course there are issues with the angle of fire and the shooter's position inside the room but rounds coming back his way might just have changed the equation and saved some lives.

Quite honestly, if you were going to have an event designed to be the 'perfect storm' and trigger legislation to restrict firearms, this was it. I just don't believe in the conspiracy thing but it doesn't matter as the other side is going to make as much of this as they can.

2 hours ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

But these mass shootings, as small a stastic as they are, ARE the new norm unfortunately. That they happen more frequently I attribute that to the mainstream media pumping up the volume so to speak.

Increasing?  Yes.  But I still can't agree that they are "the norm."  That they are so rare as to grab so much attention argues that they are not the norm, but quite unusual.

I get what you're saying Joe.

When we was kids it was different, yes? You just didn't have students walking in with a gun and lighting up their classmates. Charles Whitman. Remember that Marine? Back then that was unusual. Attacks on police officers are becoming more common. Violent attacks. Just last week three of the officers working in the jail I used to work in here were violently assaulted and I can tell you violent assaults there are way up. Its like society today seems to accept these violent attacks. I sure don't.

Back to the incident. I didn't used to worry about things like this but I do now. I carry everywhere. I'm no longer comfortable with my little five shot or a seven shot semi-auto. I carry my full size service gun with two reloads on me and that ain't the only gun. I also carry a GSW kit on me, tourniquet, quikclot and a trauma bandage. Fits in the big cargo pocket with room to spare. I always have my first responder gear in the truck. (always have, actually)

Is the chance for me, in my daily travels as a retired LEO to become involved in a violent assault less or more likely today than it was twenty years ago? I would say more likely.

I practice avoidance. I do not go to political rallies, the state fair and other places where there is an increased threat these days. Mostly because I do not like crowds. I live in the big city by choice. In the future I will probably eventually find the property up north we want and might, someday move there but probably not full time. Cimarron and I like the big city. We like the stuff we like close by; doctors, shooting range we go to weekly, stores, family, friends. When we moved to this house 20 years ago we picked it because it was close to two of my favorite gun stores one of which I work sorta full time. (long story, not going there, LOL) fire stations on three sides and a level one trauma center two miles away and our favorite shopping close by. Neither of us are getting any younger and that trauma center right handy has already paid off if you know what I mean. I make use of the ham radio store, gun stores, army surplus store and all them others that I like but my wallet does not harhar!

When we go out we pay a lot more attention to the things around us than we used to. Cimarron carries too. Full size 1911 mostly. And more, LOL. It pains me to say this is the new normal but it is Joe, at least from where I sit.

22 hours ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

When we go out we pay a lot more attention to the things around us than we used to. Cimarron carries too. Full size 1911 mostly. And more, LOL. It pains me to say this is the new normal but it is Joe, at least from where I sit.

I figured that was about where you were coming from, Don.  Basically, you are more situationally aware than you were 10 years ago.  I think we are quibbling about mass shootings being "the norm" or just more common than, say, in the early '60s.  Also, the possibility of encountering "ordinary" street violence being higher than it was 20 years ago.  

Being in CA, especially here in Sonoma County, I really don't have the option of carrying.  Our Lord High Sheriff doesn't think that ordinary stinking, irredeemable, DEPLORABLE, free-loading, cave-dwelling bitter clingers in Podunk deserve to be able to exercise our civil rights.  I'm sure that colors my perception of things.

ADDED:

DEPLORABLE!  I left out DEPLORABLE!  How could I do that?

You don't think much of your local sheriff, do ya', Joe??  :lol:

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

In general he does a good job.  But he follows the usual coastal CA political point of view on firearms.   

That description of the Common Man is a string of comments by Reid, Clinton, Brown, Obama, and Eshoo

16 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I don't think much of'em either!:lol:

I'm old school. A town like Harmonville minus Denton Baxter and friends like Boss Spearman and Charlie Waite would suit me just fine. I have very little use for a sheriff who denies others their civil rights when he himself (and a good bunch of his deputies I'd wager) wouldn't like it if the shoe was on the other foot.

I worked for Sheriff Joe for twenty four years. Even though he wasn't quite a republican before he ran, he was very pro-gun. This new guy, sheriff #5 for me I'm not so sure of. I'll be nice; technically he's still my boss since I kept my reserve status when I retired. Neither are that type like your sheriff so I'm happy. Mostly.

Joe,

I have learned through experience that 'stuff' can happen to anyone anywhere. Almost forty year ago, fresh out of the Army I used to stop at my bank after work (midnight) to deposit my check in the ATM. One night I see some dude hanging around trying to be 'invisible' on the other side of tue bushes. I do my business anyway and when this guy just bolts around the corner and comes at me I draw my pistol. It was like Scotty beamed him up just poof, he was gone! That wasn't the only incident but for me, they are few and very far between. (work is a different story, LOL) Couple a months ago I get acosted in the Walmart parking lot by some homeless guy waving a 2x4 and demanding money. I'm not sure which ran him off faster, my giggling or the pistol I drew. I don't exactly look like a mark according to these two crazy friends I got. One says I need a warning label, the other says I don't need one cuz anybody can see I'm just plain trouble. Two by four guy was probably a bit off bubble I'm guessing.

Anyway, some of the stuff I carry on a daily basis probably ain't legal where you're at, LOL. I prefer AR's but I'm rather fond of an AK pistol I have. It's got a 12" barrel and a full length gas system. With the krink muzzle booster it runs just fine. But its noisy. I call'er my get-away-from-me gun. I wasn't going to put one of those braces on it but I got one specifically so I could shoot it on my local indoor range. (got to have sights and a stock) I liked it so much, better than running it with a two point sling like I did them H&K PDW's I just left it. Of course now I gotta get me a new case because the tennis racket bag I got is too short now, LOL.

Today our local paper had an interview with the owner of Sun Devil Machining. Builds AR's and such. It was a pretty positive piece. Took the reporter to the range, showed them the difference between full auto, semi and bump stock. Even the reporter seemed convinced that those things suck. Why bother?

1 hour ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

Joe,

I have learned through experience that 'stuff' can happen to anyone anywhere.

I've been blessed to not have had "stuff" happen.  Maybe it's my size, or the way I carry myself.  Or just that I don't go to "bad" areas.  The closest I came was in high school when, after a football game(not as a player), a guy that I sort of knew - didn't like, but knew - asked if he could take a close look at the thermos I was carrying.  My ride showed up and I asked for it back, he said "I think I'll keep it."  I just stepped up and twisted it out of his hands.  "HEY! I was just joking!"  I guess I scared him because I didn't cringe from him even though he had a minor reputation as a thug.  I had a rep as a quiet geek.

1 hour ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

Today our local paper had an interview with the owner of Sun Devil Machining.

Can you post a link, please?

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I've been blessed to not have had "stuff" happen.  Maybe it's my size, or the way I carry myself.  Or just that I don't go to "bad" areas.  The closest I came was in high school when, after a football game(not as a player), a guy that I sort of knew - didn't like, but knew - asked if he could take a close look at the thermos I was carrying.  My ride showed up and I asked for it back, he said "I think I'll keep it."  I just stepped up and twisted it out of his hands.  "HEY! I was just joking!"  I guess I scared him because I didn't cringe from him even though he had a minor reputation as a thug.  I had a rep as a quiet geek.

Can you post a link, please?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/10/07/heres-difference-bump-stock-makes-when-firing-rifle/742818001/

Archived