SASS Wire Forum

What do y'all think about this bump stock business?

Capt. James H. Callahan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't own one, not interested in one, but I dislike anti-firearm legislation.  Bump stocks may be very difficult to defend in light of recent events.  Others have suggested going along with an anti-bump stock law in exchange for approval of a pro-gun law, like allowing suppressors without taxation or national concealed carry...Bump stocks might be an effective bargaining chip on other (more important?) issues.

I know people who have installed them on .22 ARs and they are fun to shoot. But, would it have really made a difference if this guy or anybody else is shooting a fraction of a second faster? Surely less accurate and requires more reloads - so most likely less people hit and than a straight up semi-auto. 

17 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I don't own one, not interested in one, but I dislike anti-firearm legislation.  Bump stocks may be very difficult to defend in light of recent events.  Others have suggested going along with an anti-bump stock law in exchange for approval of a pro-gun law, like allowing suppressors without taxation or national concealed carry...Bump stocks might be an effective bargaining chip on other (more important?) issues.

I couldn't have said it much better.  Really struggling with this issue, and that began even before Las Vegas.

This was honestly the first I've heard of such a devise. Then again I'm not much into modern sporting rifles. Even then. I would hate for the anti's to get one more piece of legislation passed but at the same time, that might be a small sacrifice for something much more important like what J-Bar said.

Apparently you can get a similar effect using a simple rubber band.   I don't own one or intent to buy one, but I don't favor giving the gun grabbers even a fraction of an inch.

What happens when someone trains to USE THEIR FINGER FASTER on the trigger?

Ban fingers? Muscle memory? Training? Exercising?

Amazing how it is the bump stock here that is being vilified instead of the shooter and his malevolent actions.

4 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Amazing how it is the bump stock here that is being vilified instead of the shooter and his malevolent actions.

Hun, there are those that will never blame the human, as it distracts from their true objective...and also requires an amount of personal responsibility, not something they wish to  have required of anyone....

35 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

Hun, there are those that will never blame the human, as it distracts from their true objective...and also requires an amount of personal responsibility, not something they wish to  have required of anyone....

Oh, I know this. Sad but true. I used to be married to someone who fit that description. Turned into it along the way. I never could figger that one.  Doggone, THAT was miserable. Not MY problem anymore though. :o:D

Personal accountability sure ain't fer everyone!

Howdy,

Don't got one.

Never shot one.

Never touched one.

Never even seen one (other than on the majik talkin pitcher box).

But NOT one inch. Not one.

Or legalize silencers and outlaw the bump things.....

Will those work on a 10/22????

Burning 50 rounds in a couple seconds would sure warp a barrel.

And warp my wallet tooooooooo.

Best

CR

ps-sunday- I chatted with a fella who actually had one and shot it.

He said he had to hold it just right to get the thing to work.

And it wasted ammo just as fast as you can imagine.

A 20 round mag was gone in a blink.

Word was 700 rounds a minute.... So 20 might take a second or so?

And he said it usually jammed once each mag....

I never saw one.

cr

4 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

OH HELL NO!!  This is a place where NO compromise is acceptable!!  The edge of the slippery slope is RIGHT HERE!!  We're fighting to get BACK portions of our rights that have been wrongly sacrificed in the past and you suggest taking a step, (A LARGE STEP) backwards?? OH HELL NO!!

Compromise is what you do when a group is trying to decide where to go to dinner or what show to see!!  It is NOT what you do when your rights are being threatened!!  We should be campaigning like the LGBT folks and BLM for the rights we are guaranteed by the Constitution!!  Maybe not with the violence and the lies that some of them spew, but with just as much fervor and twice as vigorously!! 

The NRA just threw its weight into the issue:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/05/nra-calls-for-atf-review-bump-stocks-new-regulations-after-las-vegas-shooting.html

NOW!!  See there??  Me and the NRA disagree on this one!!  I'll spend more money to support SAF!!  In the long run, we SHOULD be able to purchase and own ANY hand held weapon that the military can have!!   THAT was the original intent of the Second Amendment!!

6 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

NOW!!  See there??  Me and the NRA disagree on this one!!  I'll spend more money to support SAF!!  In the long run, we SHOULD be able to purchase and own ANY hand held weapon that the military can have!!   THAT was the original intent of the Second Amendment!!

And to carry that firearm,  if we choose to do so. ;)

OLG

21 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

OH HELL NO!!  This is a place where NO compromise is acceptable!!  The edge of the slippery slope is RIGHT HERE!!  We're fighting to get BACK portions of our rights that have been wrongly sacrificed in the past and you suggest taking a step, (A LARGE STEP) backwards?? OH HELL NO!!

Compromise is what you do when a group is trying to decide where to go to dinner or what show to see!!  It is NOT what you do when your rights are being threatened!!  We should be campaigning like the LGBT folks and BLM for the rights we a guaranteed by the Constitution!!  Maybe not with the violence and the lies that some of them spew, but with just as much fervor and twice as vigorously!! 

I lean that way myself. I've been an NRA member for some 42 years, a Golden Eagle for some 25 years. Sure hate to take a step down that slippery slope. I wonder how much of this is rhetoric on our side. Debate and review is one thing, support is yet another.

My 2 cents,

JHC

I'm for banning Stupidity, Ignorance and Bureaucratic Manipulation...

Perhaps we can make a deal. We can let them ban useless devices if we can ban useless people. 

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but if the NRA doesn't work with congress to pass legislation we can live with we will eventually get legislation that we can't live with

4 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I couldn't have said it much better.  Really struggling with this issue, and that began even before Las Vegas.

me too

this business of paddock using the "NRA Gun of the Year" is un-cool.

I was in the shop a few hours ago to get the sight on my new Ruger 22/45 adjusted and some youngster -- a store employee goes dancin' thru the place waving one of these DDM4 V7s

I love guns and I love to shoot.   Cowboy Action;   Sporting Clays -- that sort of thing.    But if we are really promoting a sport here -- what sort of public image do we present ?

VM2B0836X-r600.jpg.3198dfc71680da8bb61c53bce2f5d7f5.jpg

at this difficult time my little friend Mitsi -- is always here for me :)

57 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but if the NRA doesn't work with congress to pass legislation we can live with we will eventually get legislation that we can't live with

Hopefully not in the foreseeable future.  Every time something like this happens the handwringers come out in force that we have have to do SOMETHING!!!!! Well, not really. Something that accomplishes nothing.......still accomplishes nothing other than advance the enemy's agenda. No flame intended, just my thoughts on the matter.

JHC

3 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Hopefully not in the foreseeable future.  Every time something like this happens the handwringers come out in force that we have have to do SOMETHING!!!!! Well, not really. Something that accomplishes nothing.......still accomplishes nothing other than advance the enemy's agenda. No flame intended, just my thoughts on the matter.

JHC

And your thoughts are valid

Please let me clarify;

I agree with Blackwater and the others who do not want to outlaw bump stocks, or anything else.  In my first post I said I don't like anti-gun legislation.  I hope the anti-gunners never get another victory.

Sometimes I don't get what I want.  If it comes to pass that bump stocks are going to be outlawed, I just want the antis to give up something too.

Blackwater, I hope you get your wish. 

5 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Left will never honor any such “agreement”  I’m livid with the NRA for caving. 

I like the idea that we should consider what people can do rather than fuss over ban this and ban that.   Ban doesn't work: there's always a way around the ban.

Back to people

one comment that I remember from early-on analysis was the question: why was there no anti-sniper team deployed as part of security for this event?

Good for the NRA.  Take the high road and support not just the letter of the law, but also the spirit of the law.  If one wants an automatic rifle, comply with the letter and the spirit of the law.  If you disagree with the law; work to have it changed.  I believe gun rights supporters have a superior position over the anti-gun rights supporters so long as we support the laws in truth and spirit.

30 minutes ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

I like the idea that we should consider what people can do rather than fuss over ban this and ban that.   Ban doesn't work: there's always a way around the ban.

Back to people

one comment that I remember from early-on analysis was the question: why was there no anti-sniper team deployed as part of security for this event?

Previously really very little reason to have anti sniper teams deployed for a country music concert. Now, that event in Las Vegas might change  things.

37 minutes ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

Back to people

I suppose it's simple logistics. Any LEO organization has limited resources. Such a team would stay VERY busy in LV!! Not saying it isn't a good idea, but some taxpayer still has to pay for it at the expense of some other endeavor. I suspect we may see more such teams in the future. About the only defense against something like this it would seem. Random thoughts from my saddle.

JHC

seems the report I'm remembering stated that in LV the promoter was required to hire 1 off-duty officer per 1-thousand expected attendees.   may as well hire the anti-sniper teams as well

how to they handle this in Israel ?    Those guys know what they're doing:    they have to.

what if the perp had obtained an M-60?

I dont own one and dont have no use for one .

They have been around for years .

Banning a stock dont solve anything.

Banning guns dont solve anything.

People kill with bombs and trucks and many things .

I have no use for one but I will fight for the rights to own one .

Just sayin 

Rooster

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I suspect we're about to see a major push to ban semi-autos altogether.  Australia did...

Article

You're in a California state of mind, don't worry the rest of the country won't go for it!:lol:

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

You're in a California state of mind, don't worry the rest of the country won't go for it!:lol:

A ban on semis has already been mentioned.

Archived