SASS Wire Forum

Time To Fold My Tent??

Blackwater 53393

12 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

If we are going to start down this slippery slope, I don't know if I really want to be a part of it!!   I'll be thinking about it!! 

Blackwater, here is how I see all this..........

Someone who is just here in hopes of getting a little attention by being offended by something so they can make a mountain out of a mole hill, looking for a good time messing with folks and making comments hoping to get a rise out of others will soon fade away when everyone starts ignoring them (such as using the ignore list which I just found).  When they find that no one is reading their posts and their lime light is fading away and the forum is no longer fun for them they will likely leave to get their jollies elsewhere.

SO........let them fold their tents and leave, we'll continue enjoying each others posts, comments, photos and jokes as usual even if we have to be gotten onto now and then by the cat lady! :D

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Folks,

The reason I locked the gun cart thread was more complex than just two complaints. I feared it would evolve into mud slinging and rude comments just like what happened on the "You Have to be Kidding" thread.

I'm not a fan of some PC stuff and am deeply offended by the NFL protests and many political activities in our country today. Discussions about those things tend turn rude. This thread has been more civil than that other thread. Thank you.

We have a wide variety of opinions and political viewpoints among SASS members. Those posting here just happen to  be the vocal majority. At least, I believe they are the majority.  That should not give you a free rein to insult others' views. It was before my time; but, I understand that insulting behavior led to banning political comments.

You can say "the Wire isn't SASS." However, it is our face to the outside world. I'd like to keep it a nice place to visit and have it represent the kindness you encounter at a match.

Regards,

Allie

I am deeply offended by the Wire not allowing me to ignore specific posters.

Thanks, Allie!!

I've always TRIED to keep it civil.  You know me well enough to know that I COULD probably say things that would be insulting to someone and it would likely go right over their heads. I've done it before.

I don't want ANYONE to leave!!  It isn't my intention to offend anyone!!  I WILL NOT, however, allow someone to make an offensive blanket statement about the good friends I have here and just let it pass!!!!

I still may take a pause, looking but not speaking.  I've done that before too!!!  

23 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

...previous text removed solely to conserve space.

I still may take a pause, looking but not speaking.  I've done that before too!!!  

Blackwater:

You aren't the only one that at one time or another felt like packing up and leaving.

59d69c4fd0e5c_Cowboywithsaddle-RESIZED.jpg.6ed3be1adabfcc1877d0171b54555500.jpg

I too left for a time, but was encouraged to come back.

It is hard to resist the SASS WIRE though. :wub:

6 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

If you're talking about the Moderators (only group I know of who cannot be ignored) too bad.

Ms. Allie:

I don't believe there would be anyone in their right mind that would want to ignore you.

59d69dfa92656_Cathidingunderblanket-RESIZED.jpg.dcf6014d428262e2e8f3938ec8f15a99.jpg

* Kitten pic added for points. :P

17 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Maybe it's time for me to get off the Wire, at least for a while.  When folks can't let some thread or idea go because they are offended, they COULD just not read the thread or post any further!!  Some of the things said by people who were "offended" were far more offensive than what they were complaining about in a couple of recent threads!!  I may have said some things that weren't kind, but I meant no offense!!  To be told that my actions were not "The Cowboy Way" after all this time was WORSE than offensive!!  To have a couple of folks (2) dictate what is or isn't acceptable for the entire group is questionable policy.  To be placed under a blanket or painted with that broad brush is MOST offensive!!

DON'T GET ME WRONG!!  I'm NOT questioning the Moderators and the performance of their duties.  They have guidelines that MUST be adhered to!!  They DON'T have a choice!!  I have bitten my tongue on MANY more occasions both figuratively and literally than I care to count!  I HAVE on occasion, questioned the moderators and their actions and have more often commended them, personally, for their efforts!  But I don't remember EVER ruining another participant's shared humor!!  If I thought it wasn't funny I just shrugged and moved on!!!

We've prided ourselves in the past for being somewhat POLITICALLY INCORRECT!  See my signature!!   My upbringing and education forces me to call out those who accuse me of being racist!!  I'M A REBEL!!!  I stand for my right to honor those who fought with honor, regardless of which side they fought on!! Those people fought for a number of reasons, most of those reasons had little or nothing to do with slavery!!  MOST fought for whichever side because they felt it was their DUTY!!!  AND THAT, FOLKS, IS A HIGHER CALLING AND FAR MORE HONORABLE THAN ANYTHING ELSE!!!

If we are going to start down this slippery slope, I don't know if I really want to be a part of it!!   I'll be thinking about it!!

This is the best I've seen on the Wire in quite some time. 100% agree.

I'm Southern by birth, Southern by heritage and Southern by choice. My kin fought in the War, some died. I feel no anomosity toward the North or whoever killed them. They were just doing their duty......same as my kin. I will honor them as I see fit, if it offends someone......tough.

Sun

As a 18 year veteran of the political forum FreeRepublic, I can assure you that some of the biggest flamewars have been Civil War threads.  Folks on either side just can't let go. 

Old family story dating back some 50 years.. 

One of my first cousins was traveling by bus to Alabama.  Two guys were arguing about the Civil War for a long time. Finally they asked my cousin to arbitrate. "Who won the Civil War?", they asked.  Her reply, "Who said it was over?". 

5 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Well I sure hope you take a pause...

.... For the TN State Match coming up.

I'll see you there.

Waimea

17 minutes ago, Waimea said:

Well I sure hope you take a pause...

.... For the TN State Match coming up.

I'll see you there.

Waimea

I'll be there!!  Won't be shooting 'cause I'm still not supposed to be walking. I'm running the Hamilton Dry Goods vendor outfit!!

6 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

If you're talking about the Moderators (only group I know of who cannot be ignored) too bad.

Not at all. I used the ignore function for a couple of names and it does not function.  Guess I'll just have to think for my self rather than let the machines do it.

12 hours ago, Noz said:

Not at all. I used the ignore function for a couple of names and it does not function.  Guess I'll just have to think for my self rather than let the machines do it.

Hmmm! I'm at a loss. I just checked the Member settings on the Admin Control Panel and it should be fully functional.

Maybe try logging out and back in to the forums.

If anyone else is having the same problem, start a thread; so, I can see how widespread the problem is.

14 hours ago, Noz said:

What? Think for yourself? What's this world coming to if people actually have to think for themselves anymore?;)

I suppose you ain't a fan of self-driving automobiles either, are you? :D

Hope to see you at Red Dirt!

22 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I'll be there!!  Won't be shooting 'cause I'm still not supposed to be walking. I'm running the Hamilton Dry Goods vendor outfit!!

Well, shootin' or not, it will be good seein' you again.

I know a certain Lickskillet that will be glad to see you and he ain't shootin' neither. You and he can talk for 15 minutes and get caught up then just stare at each other for the rest of the weekend.:lol:

Or you can do what you two do best, INSTIGATE.:o

Are you bringing your best girl with ya?

Waimea

11 hours ago, Waimea said:

Well, shootin' or not, it will be good seein' you again.

I know a certain Lickskillet that will be glad to see you and he ain't shootin' neither. You and he can talk for 15 minutes and get caught up then just stare at each other for the rest of the weekend.:lol:

Or you can do what you two do best, INSTIGATE.:o

Are you bringing your best girl with ya?

Waimea

Doubtful that Schoolmarm will attend!  Next week is spring FALL break for the local school system and she'll probably spend most of her time with The Bopper, my 9 year old grandson!!

1 minute ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Doubtful that Schoolmarm will attend!  Next week is spring break for the local school system and she'll probably spend most of her time with The Bopper, my 9 year old grandson!!

So you will be unsupervised.

I will be unsupervised.

And Lickskillet is Lickskillet.

:lol:

Could be trouble.

Waimea

On 10/5/2017 at 4:37 AM, Dantankerous said:

Blackwater, YOU and people like you make SASS what it is and who we are. Unique. Honest. Treasured. Alive and well, by God. Respected. Trusted. Honest. (I have shared a posse with you once, several years ago and met you. You are as solid as folks come.) You are cowboy through and through, patriot, and someone people are honored to call their friend.

You leaving would only hurt the SASS family we have here.

I fully agree with your thoughts and above message. If the PC crowd gets its way here however,  lots of like minded folks might be thinking of folding their tent. I agree that the rules and mod's have a place here and the mods do a great job enforcing the rules... But America is being overrun by PC retardation and that don't help things anywhere. 

There will be no tent folding today.  

;)

I second that.  Don't give in.

Join P. O. O. P. (People Offended by Offended People.)   Boston John Doucette founded it many years ago and I was the second member.  Now everyone is #2 because it was easier than keeping books on it.

11 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Doubtful that Schoolmarm will attend!  Next week is spring break for the local school system and she'll probably spend most of her time with The Bopper, my 9 year old grandson!!

Golly Jee Whizz Blackwater,  I new you dance to you own music in your own time zone, but I surely didn't know you folks observed a 'spring' break this time of year.   Over here in E. Tennessee, our kids are on 'Fall' break.

:lol::lol:

..........WIdder

3 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Golly Jee Whizz Blackwater,  I new Kentukians dance to their own music in their own time zone, but I surely didn't know you folks had a 'spring' break.   Down here in Tennessee, our kids are on 'Fall' break.

:lol::lol:

..........WIdder

WELLLLLL It should really be fall break but I've always been perpendicular!! :wacko::wacko:  Yeah!!  It was late in the evening and was watchin' TV and typing!!  But me 'n' Schoolmarm are inhabitants of Tennessee and Wartrace is my other home club!!

BLKWTR,   

I typed in Kentucky and don't know why.  Then quickly posted it and then IMMEDIATELY corrected it before I thought anybody would read it...probably within 30 seconds of posting the original comment.

Anyhow, I quickly corrected it but you still were fast enough to read it and reply.   Shucks, you ain't getting older..... you is just getting faster...

;)

See you soon, my friend.

..........Widder

Blackwater, please don't leave the wire.  Your insight, wisdom, and humor is something that he Wire cannot afford to loose. 

It is a shame that some people think that just because they don't agree with something, they can just play the "it offends me" card.  We as cowboys, and more importantly, as Americans must learn to listen to and tolerate differing opinions.  The blending of backgrounds and opinions is what made this country great, and it is what made the cowboys such a unique and strong group.  It saddens me greatly to see the discord generated by misconceptions over a flag flown by an army of courageous, honorable men. 

My suggestion to those offended by the Stars and Bars is to follow the attitude displayed by John Wayne in his movies.  He displayed understanding, compassion, and respect for the men and women of the Confederacy.  He treated them as he expected to be treated, and was willing to work, and fight alongside of them.  It is a shame that what is being taught about that war and flag is very different from what actually happened.  

Tracker Jack,  AND others of you who have responded to this thread!!  I had no intention of leaving the Wire forums permanently.  As I said, somewhere in all of this, I'd had a really bad day that day and was probably feeling a little sorry for myself.  Then three other posters on the thread that was offered , and subsequently locked, in response to another thread being locked, made blanket statements that I felt had no basis in fact and seemed more emotional and less tolerant than I've come to expect from the good folks here on the S.A.S.S. forums.  I took exception with them and with the intolerance I felt that they had displayed.  I'm coming up on a week where I'll be away from the wire, for the most part anyway, and I'll be attending The Tennessee State Championship March.  This will serve to let the dust settle even more.

Two of those people have since contacted me personally and we've come to an understanding. To one extent or another, we have agreed to disagree AND keep it gentlemanly. The third person hasn't made another post of any kind that I'm aware of since then. His was the most inflammatory and the least genteel of the comments and was totally unacceptable to me given his position in S.A.S.S.!!  

Jack, your suggestion to those offended is a perfect solution. I LIKE IT!! It will work for everyone that's willing to be accepting and tolerant!!

I'm closer to "back on my game" now!!  Thanks, EVERYBODY!!

Thanks Blackwater, I remember shooting with you at Gunsmoke.  Had a very difficult first day.  Lots of fumbles, stumbles and such; I was not feeling very good about myself, and as a result was having a hard time helping my wife through her first big match.  You took the time to help her out, and with a good dose of humor got me straightened out.  I will forever be grateful for your kindness that weekend.  I just wanted you to know that you have made a big difference in the people you meet throughout the SASS world.

20 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

On 10/5/2017 at 7:37 AM, Dantankerous said:

Join P. O. O. P.

OK, I screwed this up.  What I want to know is how to join P.O.O.P.

Blackwater, Please stay with us on the Wire. I think it is great to know your Family's history and honor it. My Great Grand Father Carpenter and Great Uncle were both Officers in Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. They are buried in a small cemetery in Covington. VA, deep in the SW corner of the State. I was raised in Mississippi, but when I was in the 12th grade, my Father took me and my whole Family to Covington to visit that cemetery. I remember all the Southern, Confederates buried there had a small. metal emblem attached to the tombstone that had the letters "CSA". I have been back there twice in the last 40 years. I want to go once more before I die if possible.

My Grandmother Carpenter, Daughter of Lt Samuel Carpenter, always told me , "it was not a Civil War. as that is when a group of people try to over throw the Government. The Confedrates did not want to over throw the Union government; they wanted to form their own."  She also told me it was "the war of Northern aggression".

However, I know a lot of folks may find this offensive; frankly, (to quote Rhett Butler) I don't give a Damn!

But that was then and this is now, and the price both sides paid was truly horrific.

Cheers,  Hoss C. 

Yup, the South was trying to leave the union.

Only funny thing as a student of history, the "War of Norther Aggression" was started by a Southern attack on a Norther Fort - After the North volunteered to leave in a day or so.  But the Southern leader just could not contain himself.  Now the most likely would have started somewhere at some point, but that is the way id did start.

A very sad war, where we lost many of our rights and hundreds of thousands of lives.  Largely, but not solely,  because of the "right" to own other people. 

There is so much to learn from each other,  but unfortunately a few are robbing us the opportunity.  Many of the great shooters do not want to be on the wire due to the insults and garbage replies.  I guess one man, or women's, garbage is another's treasure. Too bad!!!!

Archived