SASS Wire Forum

dead horse time.....wads for lite AA reloads ?

Throckmorton,23149

I"ve accumulated enough Featherlite hulls to begin reloading them.   7/8 oz using x no. of grains of Red Dot.

the Claybuster wads say waa12L replacement, but they are not correct for this. The crimps pooch way out. 

What wads are you all using for AA  FL hulls ?

I use the Claybuster gray wads. For 7/8, CB-0178-12 and haven't had any grief with AA hulls, also use 'em in STS hulls.

3 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I use the Claybuster gray wads. For 7/8, CB-0178-12 and haven't had any grief with AA hulls, also use 'em in STS hulls.

This works great for 7/8 oz loads.

1 hour ago, Throckmorton,23149 said:

I"ve accumulated enough Featherlite hulls to begin reloading them.   7/8 oz using x no. of grains of Red Dot.

the Claybuster wads say waa12L replacement, but they are not correct for this. The crimps pooch way out. 

What wads are you all using for AA  FL hulls ?

First, Are you 100% sure you are dropping the correct powder and shot charges? Don't just rely on the bushing charts.

Have you verified your scales with a calibration weight?

If all the above checks out, be sure you are using enough pressure to properly seat the wads. The new AA hulls have a lip inside that can catch the base of the wad and prevent it from seating fully. I load on a MEC 600 jr and a 76 series Grabber. Both machines have the wad seating pressure as set as high as I can and still get the wads into the hull. If I watch the pressure indicator I can usually see a little jump as the base of the wad moves past the internal lip of the hull. 

What press are you loading on? If it's a MEC, there is an obscure adjustment to the rammer tube in which the engraved lines (above the wad pressure indicator) should be set to a different count for 7/8 than for 1-1/8 oz. wads. MEC has a YouTube video on what number to set it at. I'll Google it and edit it here:

Church Key

Using a Lee LoadAll, so wad pressure is by feel, which is usually not a problem. I'll try it again today, only loaded the one and it was not right at all. 

have you used this machine before?

asking because the setting for pre-crimp, crimp and final overall sizing (that's what a MEC has) can be adjusted.

Know tiny adjustments on these can mean big changes at the shell end of things

keep us informed

FYI another gray ClayBuster wad user for my light loads

Archived