SASS Wire Forum

Henry Big Boy- Your Input

CurlyDrew42

Howdy, I have a couple of questions. 1.When does the 66 or 73 have a advantage over other rifles? 2. How many of you have tried a Henry?

Answer to 1 only when there is more then one shoot on a target and how good you are with rifle. 2. From reading this form and others not many Just  from some who say this guy tried it and didn't work. First it could of been shooter error or ammo.

I have a Henry Big Boy 41 mag that I have been shooting at several matches this year and have had no problem with it and done very well with it and it shoots as fast as a Marlin 94 that everyone is recommending. A Henry is only different from a  Marlin 94 is the bolt and how it loads. I have shoot all types of rifles at sass matches and the Henry works just as good. I mainly bought this rifle  cause I am a 41 mag fan and want to try it out and besides I have several rifles  in 41 mag that I use matches. so give it a try. Yes Ace of hearts is correct on the parts.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a friend who called me a gun snob becuz I kept telling not to get a Henry Big Boy. But he wasn't going to compete and it hit me like a ton of bricks!  He liked the looks. I ignore everyone who tells me not to compete with my large lever Winchester 92's. Again as other people have stated, first decide if you want I be competitive and then how much you can afford. If not being competitive and only being able to afford a Big Boy or just wanting it then go and buy it. No one says you can never get a Marlin, Uberti or anything else later. Have fun that is all that matters. 

2 hours ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

What is it about the HBB that precludes running it fast?  Does it start misfeeding ammo, or not extract spent rounds,  or is the linkage such that it resists being worked fast?   I’m trying to get a sense here of just what it is that keeps the HBB from being a top competitor. 

The Henry Big Boy action is very similar to a Marlin Action in it's operation.

The Henry uses the same main hammer spring and the same ejector as the Marlin. No other parts are interchangeable.

Henry has added a transfer bar between the hammer and firing pin and its carrier operates in an entirely different manner.

Like the Marlin timing of the action is critical and it is almost impossible to adjust. Cartridge length is extremely critical if operating fast and varies wildly from gun to gun.

Unless you have a lot of time on your hands and can handle the frustration of time and error testing.

You will find that 357 cases loaded at maximum length will give you the least trouble.

I just noticed there is a Henry Big Boy in 45 for sale in the classifieds.

2 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers, SASS# 25439 said:

I had a friend who called me a gun snob becuz I kept telling not to get a Henry Big Boy. But he wasn't going to compete and it hit me like a ton of bricks!  He liked the looks. I ignore everyone who tells me not to compete with my large lever Winchester 92's. Again as other people have stated, first decide if you want I be competitive and then how much you can afford. If not being competitive and only being able to afford a Big Boy or just wanting it then go and buy it. No one says you can never get a Marlin, Uberti or anything else later. Have fun that is all that matters. 

I'm trying not to derail this thread, but I do have to ask about the large loop lever 92's. I have been thinking of getting one, especially since I have been watching way too many John Wayne movies lately. Is the big loop lever really that bad? I have one on my marlin 95 and love it, but I don't compete with the 95 very often these days. I think a big loop lever in 44-40 from Winchester would be pretty cool, and the carbine currently only comes with the big loop. I would think it would go well with this USFA I recently acquired:

d3sTdqB.jpg

Just now, Redwood Kid said:

Is the big loop lever really that bad?

Great question!  Since it is one of the features I like,  because I have cave man hands.

2 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

The Henry uses the same main hammer spring and the same ejector as the Marlin. No other parts are interchangeable.

Henry has added a transfer bar between the hammer and firing pin and its carrier operates in an entirely different manner.

Like the Marlin timing of the action is critical and it is almost impossible to adjust. Cartridge length is extremely critical if operating fast and varies wildly from gun to gun.

Unless you have a lot of time on your hands and can handle the frustration of time and error testing.

You will find that 357 cases loaded at maximum length will give you the least trouble.

Thanks!   That is a most informative response, and I learned something new today.   Much appreciated. 

5 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Unless you have a lot of time on your hands and can handle the frustration of time and error testing, look to another type of rifle.

The "John Wayne" levers will slow you down, no denying, but I have never been competitive in my shooting.  I loved going around heeled, looking like the Duke and shooting his style weapons except my other pistol I usually carry on a cross draw holster is a buntlines (12" barrel) model. Now the longest you ever saw the Duke shoot was a 7.5 but I just love buntlines too!  Lots of smiles when I shoot and I usually end up in last place in my category as well. 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Your shop'n list keeps grow'n

The instructor in my pistols class said that every gun goes into the safe pregnant.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Your shop'n list keeps grow'n like a weed.......:lol:

OLG

Hahaha...That's for sure...I need to win the lotto:lol:

I had a Henry big boy when I shot my first SASS match in November , 2012. It jammed with 8 in the rifle. Then, pretty much everybody shooting clued me in that the big boy is great for hunting, but can't take the speed for CAS. I bought a 73 soon after & switched to 38's. Still have the big boy in the safe. Beautiful rifle.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Almost tempted to pick up a Henry just to see if they are as "bad" as everyone says they are...;)

I did ,

as stated in a earlier post .

I took a new out of the box 44 mag to a shoot .

Shot a clean match with NO hangups .

I did not buy the rifle for SASS .

But I did need to see for myself .

NO were near  as bad as all the bashers say.

Just Not a fast rifle and never will be.

But not everyone is here for speed .

A lot of Cowboys  have a hang up with Henry over there clams to BTH

and saying they was SASS approved before they really was .

Just sayin 

Rooster 

8 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Why do you say that? 250 grain big lube bullet is all I shoot out of my pistols.

You're in the minority on that. Many SASS shooters started with .45 Colt full load cartridges in pistols (and rifle), but soon wanted to reduce the recoil. A 250 gr produces recoil that is uncomfortable to many cowboys and tends to be hard on my Open Tops. That's why the .45 Cowboy Special was developed. Still others switched to .38 Special because it's a better cartridge for lower recoil loads than .45 Colt and is more economical. Missouri Bullet sells a .38 125gr bullet for $32 a box of 500 while the .45 250 gr bullet sells for $51 a box of 500. That adds up.  I also shoot BP and the cost is even higher.

My 2 cents, nothing more.

6 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

You're in the minority on that. Many SASS shooters started with .45 Colt full load cartridges in pistols (and rifle), but soon wanted to reduce the recoil. A 250 gr produces recoil that is uncomfortable to many cowboys and tends to be hard on my Open Tops. That's why the .45 Cowboy Special was developed. Still others switched to .38 Special because it's a better cartridge for lower recoil loads than .45 Colt and is more economical. Missouri Bullet sells a .38 125gr bullet for $32 a box of 500 while the .45 250 gr bullet sells for $51 a box of 500. That adds up.  I also shoot BP and the cost is even higher.

My 2 cents, nothing more.

I shoot BP as well, the full 45 colt case full of goex 2fg. I shoot my colts gunfighter and don't feel the recoil is bad at all. I have small hands and short thumbs so the recoil actually aids in reaching the hammers. I'm not one of the fast shooters either though. I get costs, but when I get to the point where I'm costing out each bullet,  especially considering $1500 per colt and $1000 for each rifle, it'll be time for me to find a new hobby. 

Just now, Redwood Kid said:

I shoot BP as well, the full 45 colt case full of goex 2fg. I shoot my colts gunfighter and don't feel the recoil is bad at all. I have small hands and short thumbs so the recoil actually aids in reaching the hammers. I'm not one of the fast shooters either though. I get costs, but when I get to the point where I'm costing out each bullet,  especially considering $1500 per colt and $1000 for each rifle, it'll be time for me to find a new hobby. 

What's cool about this game is there are so many ways to have fun in our own way. Good on ya! :)

Sounds like you’re leaning towards the Marlin in 45.......yet accepting that the HBB in 45 will do what you want.

So you can get the HBB, and still have fun, while starting to save for that 2nd set of guns you’ll be getting next year.

I know of almost no one (there may be one or two) who stayed exclusively with the first set of guns they started with.  There is always something that triggers your lust for another gun or set of guns.  I personally can't shoot Rugers for beans.  Went thru 6 different sets with every conceivable modification.  Sprayed bullets.  That doesn't mean Rugers are bad guns.  Just means "I" don't/can't shoot them well.  Since I don't like them, I no longer try shooting Rugers.  For similar reasons, I don't bad mouth the Henry Big Boy.  I don't like it.  Doesn't mean it's bad.  I had one for a while just to look inside and play with it.  It ran very well when not "pressed."  Not gonna win many contests for speed. Run within it's limitations it ran very well.

I don't think it fair when the majority of the criticism is bases on second or third hand opinion.  Some have had problems with the gun because they choose to load ammunition the gun doesn't like.  Just like some folks complain about toggle link rifles 'cause the won't run their favorite Semi-Wadcutters.  Many '92s are picky about overall length or won't run until the cartridge guides are adjusted.  Doesn't make them bad rifles.  Lots of Marlins, new and old, won't run hard out of the box.  Need help.  Don't be so quick to write a rifle off just cause you see someone else have trouble with it.  Try running a Toggle Link rifle hard with the OEM springs in it.  I'l run the popcorn concession.  If there were an availability of after-market parts for the Big Boy, would be as easy as a Marlin to make it run fast. 

39 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I know of almost no one (there may be one or two) who stayed exclusively with the first set of guns they started with.  There is always something that triggers your lust for another gun or set of guns.  I personally can't shoot Rugers for beans.  Went thru 6 different sets with every conceivable modification.  Sprayed bullets.  That doesn't mean Rugers are bad guns.  Just means "I" don't/can't shoot them well.  Since I don't like them, I no longer try shooting Rugers.  For similar reasons, I don't bad mouth the Henry Big Boy.  I don't like it.  Doesn't mean it's bad.  I had one for a while just to look inside and play with it.  It ran very well when not "pressed."  Not gonna win many contests for speed. Run within it's limitations it ran very well.

I don't think it fair when the majority of the criticism is bases on second or third hand opinion.  Some have had problems with the gun because they choose to load ammunition the gun doesn't like.  Just like some folks complain about toggle link rifles 'cause the won't run their favorite Semi-Wadcutters.  Many '92s are picky about overall length or won't run until the cartridge guides are adjusted.  Doesn't make them bad rifles.  Lots of Marlins, new and old, won't run hard out of the box.  Need help.  Don't be so quick to write a rifle off just cause you see someone else have trouble with it.  Try running a Toggle Link rifle hard with the OEM springs in it.  I'l run the popcorn concession.  If there were an availability of after-market parts for the Big Boy, would be as easy as a Marlin to make it run fast. 

Coffinmaker:

I believe you hit the NAIL on the HEAD* with those statements. :wub:

*pardon the pun.:P

59d655825d5fb_CoffinmakerLOGO-RESIZED.jpg.aa8135166b2008f129f17474c1d8f065.jpg

I have three Winchester/Mirokus in different calibers and models all are really nice and good shooters I even have an early .357 without the tang safety and rebounding hammer but I have to say that I get a lot less worried about dinging up one of my Rossi's since they are a lot less expensive. 

If you get the Nate Kiowa Jones video for the Rossi 92 and follow it carefully they are not hard to work on..a 92, the video and one of Nate Kiowa Jones' spring kits and a little time and you have a nice rifle at a pretty reasonable cost.  If the goofy safety bothers you he even has a little button kit you can install to replace the safety and it is a drop in part.  Steve is also a very nice fellow and if you have any issues he is a big help.  I have three of them and the only thing I have found is that the 38/.357's run better with .357 cases.  If am I really careful about OAL and bullet profile on 38's they run ok but have found that the prices difference between the brass is not that much so I tend to go that way

I have two Henry rifles and they are nice to shoot and very accurate but as others have said they are not really good for CAS..and I have to admit I am not a fan of the tube loading magazine other than for .22

I'd also add that whatEVER rifle you go with...get another one as a backup. Don't have to be the same model or caliber (but it makes things easier). I learned that the hard way when the loading gate on my '66 broke. I now flip back and forth between that and a Rossi 92, depending on my mood.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:57 PM, Boomstick Bruce said:

im surprised no one brought up the 92... i shoot a rossi 92 and am doing quite well with it. From what i have learned from the guys that have been around a long time, the 92 was the gun to have before short stoke kits for the 73 became legal and that 95% of all the SASS shooters couldn't out run a well tuned 92 anyway... im pretty sure even at my young age, i wont be outrunning my 92 any time soon..

they are built like tanks and dont jam or malfunction... at the WV showdown, just on my posse alone i saw five 73's jam up or malfunction in one form or another... i've never heard of a 92 breaking... just dont run 38spl in one chambered for 357... i shoot 45colt...

I started with a 92 and started having stove pipes.  I switched to another 92 and it also started stove piping.  I had a Marlin CB, but elected to start shooting my Uberti 73.

No more stove pipes.  Now I kick out live rounds.

45 minutes ago, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

No more stove pipes.  Now I kick out live rounds.

Pull the trigger faster ... :P

Archived