SASS Wire Forum

Henry Big Boy- Your Input

CurlyDrew42

Yes or No?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad, do they just stink?

Right now my next choice is a Uberti 1873 Short Rifle .45LC w/20" Octagon barrel.

2 minutes ago, CurlyDrew42 said:

Right now my next choice is a Uberti 1873 Short Rifle .45LC w/20" Octagon barrel.

Now that will work ......

I recall you guys telling me about the JM Marlin 94. let me check gunbroker for average $$

edit- Finding them in .44 mag is easy but i am not finding them in .45LC

Looking at Buds and at GunBroker, other good places to look?

6 minutes ago, CurlyDrew42 said:

I recall you guys telling me about the JM Marlin 94. let me check gunbroker for average $$

edit- Finding them in .44 mag is easy but i am not finding them in .45LC

Looking at Buds and at GunBroker, other good places to look?

Sent you a PM

Local CAS Gunsmith may still have one.

As much as I love my Marlins, I'm reluctant to recommend one in 45 Colt.  The one I have has a large chamber that results in a lot of blow-by with cowboy loads.  There are lots of 73s in 45 Colt at local gun shops around here.  

You folks are the best!

Let's get more specific here.  I started SASS with a Henry Big Boy in 45.  LOVED it!  Smooooooth as glass right out of the box and I'm one of those odd folks who think they look cool.  Also built right here in the USA by a company with fantastic customer service.  But that's where the positives end.  If you want to be truly competitive the Big Boy won't cut it.  It simply can't be made to run fast enough to win in SASS.

What's best?  Check out what the champions around the country are using.  '73s and Marlins rule the day. 

im surprised no one brought up the 92... i shoot a rossi 92 and am doing quite well with it. From what i have learned from the guys that have been around a long time, the 92 was the gun to have before short stoke kits for the 73 became legal and that 95% of all the SASS shooters couldn't out run a well tuned 92 anyway... im pretty sure even at my young age, i wont be outrunning my 92 any time soon..

they are built like tanks and dont jam or malfunction... at the WV showdown, just on my posse alone i saw five 73's jam up or malfunction in one form or another... i've never heard of a 92 breaking... just dont run 38spl in one chambered for 357... i shoot 45colt...

those screw knives arent made for 92's...

And, unless you are just set on 45Colt, then you might take a hard look at the 44-40 cartridge in the '73.  I have the Uberti short rifle, octagon barrel in 44-40 and it has to be the cleanest shooting rifle of them all!

I'm new in the Winchester 73 world but decided on Winchester Miroku over a Uberti.  In our area, many of the 73 shooters have changed to the Winchester Miroku and all say they are a better rifle than Uberti.  Many will say there are more aftermarket parts available for the Uberti and can be short stroked easier.  But the Winchester Miroku owners I talk with are fine with it right out of the box.  Some say it's difficult to get parts for the Miroku but I was able to get a replacement main spring with just one phone call and a credit card number.  The Winchester Miroku was in short supply and hard to get but I think that has changed also.

12 minutes ago, Deadeye George said:

And, unless you are just set on 45Colt

Mostly just to make hand loading easier.

Nothing wrong with the Big Boy if you like the rifle .

And you except its limitations.

Just dont buy one and expect to make it to the Winners Circle.

Im not a fast shooter and never will be .

I took a New Stock Big boy from the box to the Cowboy Shoot to just see for myself .

I run a clean match with NO malfunctions .

Just sayin 

Rooster 

There is one guy at our club that shoots a Big Boy.  He only shoots at our club and not regularly.  He doesn't seem to have any problem with it. 

One thing I notice is that it looks awkward to load at the loading table having a tube to pull instead of a side gate.  Our loading tables have no backs or walls to complicate loading but many ranges have the loading tables walled in. 

To answer the OP question the Henry big boy is not a really good choice for the SASS game.

It is a well made, very accurate, smooth out of the box rifle that is exceptional in target shooting applications and while I have not personally hunted with one I am told they are excellent field guns. Its design does not lend itself to shooting very fast (3 seconds or less from the table) but when operated slowly and smoothly they have a very nice feel.

Compare to a Marlin 94 or Uberti '73 which both have a plethora (always wanted to use that word in a sentence:P) of go fast parts available now and the Miroku '73 is rapidly gaining a steadfast following as well with more parts all the time. The toggle link design is very simple to understand and work on and lends itself well to operating quickly and the Marlins have been outstanding for years, particularly the JM branded versions.

The '92 was king of the hill for quite a while until the marlin mechanics figured out their firearm and what made it run well then the short strokes for the '73 versions came along and literally changed the game. Nothing wrong with a '92 that a little tinkering won't fix just a bit more involved with more parts that have to work together well to stay at the top of the heap. As others have said most won't outrun a '92 but why not go with a Ferrari if you can afford it? The big advantage to the '92 is the strength of the action, I believe that it is offered in 454 casull which the marlins and '73 (by any maker) are not and I am sure someone will confirm or correct that.

Of course all is subjective so get what you like, that you prefer the looks of, or that just catches your eye with one of those "Gotta get me one of those" moments. Can't go wrong with any of the rifles available if they are what you want (and who cares what others want or like)

For me I shoot Uberti '73s in several calibers and configurations and occasionally a Marlin Cowboy Comp.

Have fun!!! Be SAFE and if I forgot to say it Have fun!!!

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

rossi 92

They are well within my price point but I have heard that the ejector spring can be a problem,  Did you find you had to do a lot of tuning?

One of my good friends has one.  he shot targets with it, did a little hunting with it and it was fine for that.  Then he  became infected with the CAS bug.  he now owns a Marlin and sold the Henry.  It is not made for the use of CAS.

11 minutes ago, CurlyDrew42 said:

They are well within my price point but I have heard that the ejector spring can be a problem,  Did you find you had to do a lot of tuning?

Every gun used in this game at one time or another will have problems. No way around that.

Take a look at an exploded view of a '92 and see if you want to tackle the complete tear down of that rifle. JMB was a genius for sure.

He also must have loved puzzles....:lol:

OLG

21 minutes ago, CurlyDrew42 said:

There are 47 Marlin 1894s in 45 Colt listed on Gunbroker right now.   There is one Remlin NIB carbine round barrel in 45 Colt listed for buy now for $478.88.   There has been a lot of bad news about the Remlin rifles.  You may luck out.  I think they have been running rebates on them.   You may check out the big sporting goods outfits to see if they are running a special on them with fall hunting season coming up.

33 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

47 Marlin 1894

With the coveted JM stamp?

1 hour ago, CurlyDrew42 said:

I bought the "Steve's gunz" spring kit and video. Much improved over what the gun was from the factory. For half the price I have a rifle that's as smooth if not smoother than the Chiappa 92. Look at York Guns website for a good deal on the rifle.

15 minutes ago, CurlyDrew42 said:

With the coveted JM stamp?

No,  not for $488.   Maybe twice that much or more for a JM Marlin. 

I did check and there is a nice looking JM Cowboy Limited 45 Colt listed for buy now of $850. 

1 hour ago, CurlyDrew42 said:

You can get a spring kit, instructional video, and other parts from Nate Kiowa Jones' web site www.StevesGunz.com.

I have 4 in .38/.357 and all 4 run flawlessly after the action job.

Archived