SASS Wire Forum

Las Vegas Shooting

Subdeacon Joe

11 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Google The Gun control Act of 1934, $200.00 tax stamp, extensive background check and paper signed by the Sheriff of your county, mayor or chief of police in your city or the county prosecutor! It takes at least 3 months for the process usually more! Since they are not available new anymore you must buy what's out there and they're really, really expensive!!!:o

3 months would be a dream.

Although the government cashes your check as soon as they get it, they take their sweet time processing your paperwork. Currently NFA stamp approvals are taking at very best 9 months and frequently up to 12 months to get anything back from the ATF. This is on suppressors, short-barreled weapons, aows, whatever. I'm sure it's the same time frame for a full auto.

And talk about cost prohibition for most of us, no idea what an M16 is going for but you can expect to spend $25,000 or more for a 1928 Tommy Gun. Full auto is truly a collectors hobby for the wealthy gun collector. 

I think most people have an attorney draft an NFA trust and the trust actually possesses these devices. Therefore you have an additional expense for your attorney to draft the paperwork properly. 

Ain't nothing inexpensive about an NFA hobby. 

Bump fire and Slide Fire devices are more of a gimmick then anything and probably will shortly be legislated and outlawed making possession of one a big fat hairy no no. Although the ATF has ruled these are legal they have been known to reverse their own decisions in short order.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

What happened was truly a tragic scene committed by a nut job with too much money and time on his hands to go see a head shrinker. Now the Media, Politicians, and Gun grabbers will have a field day for a few months....

Those noted above are the States with the most gun deaths each year. Illinois being the highest. Probably close to the number in Vegas in 2 months. How many guns were legally bought in those States? I'd venture a guess NONE... Gangbangers don't fill out a 4473 form. It doesn't take a full auto firearm to cause a LOT of carnage. How many people were killed and maimed when that bozo ran his car into a crowd not too long ago. Are we going to try to ban Auto- Mobiles...not just Auto- Guns. Yeah right...that'll happen.

Actually, Charlie, MA is not one of the states with "the most gun deaths each year".

See the link below for a discussion of the RATE of gun violence (gun deaths per population unit), where MA turned out to be lowest in the Nation (3.13 deaths per 100,000 people) in 2015:

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/blog/2017/01/11/massachusetts-gun-death-rate/

That's a total of 213 deaths by guns in 2015 in MA:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

Far from the problem in IL.

During the same year, Montana had 205 firearms deaths, with a rate of 19.2 deaths per 100,000 people.

LL

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Actually, Charlie, MA is not one of the states with "the most gun deaths each year".

See the link below for a discussion of the RATE of gun violence (gun deaths per population unit), where MA turned out to be lowest in the Nation (3.13 deaths per 100,000 people) in 2015:

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/blog/2017/01/11/massachusetts-gun-death-rate/

That's a total of 213 deaths by guns in 2015 in MA:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

Far from the problem in IL.

During the same year, Montana had 205 firearms deaths, with a rate of 19.2 deaths per 100,000 people.

LL

I stand corrected...thanks for the links.

4 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Thankyou all for answering my question. Gave me a little bit more insight compared to what the moronic news channels give you

That's a low bar.  We could have shrugged our shoulders and been better than the incorrect info you get from them. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

I stand corrected...thanks for the links.

No sweat, Charlie.  Given the amount of mis-information in the press these days (and emanating from the mouths of certain politicians), it is easy to be misled regarding the cause and extent of gun crime.  The national map in the second link has some decent 2015 stats regarding gun deaths in each state - a real eye-opener.  Take a peek at the numbers in CA and TX...makes you wonder why everyone thinks first of IL as a death state.

LL

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

No sweat, Charlie.  Given the amount of mis-information in the press these days (and emanating from the mouths of certain politicians), it is easy to be misled regarding the cause and extent of gun crime.  The national map in the second link has some decent 2015 stats regarding gun deaths in each state - a real eye-opener.  Take a peek at the numbers in CA and TX...makes you wonder why everyone thinks first of IL as a death state.

LL

Look at Wyoming. I imagine at least half of those deaths happen in Absaroke county, at least according to Longmire

15 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

c'mon, Absaroke averages 1 murder a week....;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thank the Lord they have Walt Longmire!

:D

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

I just noticed that the 2017 stats listed were from 2015. It makes me wonder what they are NOW. The news reporters will jump on any bandwagon that brings anti gun to the table again. This last week was Eldorado's State shoot not far from Vegas. 3 friends of mine went there for that shoot. There were 139 people wandering around with 3 types of guns...pistols, rifles and shotguns. NO ONE got shot. The news didn't mention that. OR the hundreds of CAS clubs that shot the same weekend with many hundreds of folks shooting. No one got shot at those as far as I know. No news about these either.

All these gun control zealots (mostly from one un-named party) don't seem to want to discuss the success of very stringent gun laws in Chicago (city and state run by the same un-named party). Vegas was probably an average weekend in Chicago. Strangely left out of the conversation. Oh yeah, I think the President has mentioned it.

JHC

I must admit that I'm a little surprised that the NRA is supporting a review of bump stocks.  And, since I don't have an interest in black rifles, I didn't even know there was such a thing as bump stocks or kits that can turn an AR-15 into an automatic.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/05/nra-calls-for-atf-review-bump-stocks-new-regulations-after-las-vegas-shooting.html

By the way, I also support a review of stocks or kits that go around the spirit of the law.   If one wants an auto firearm, follow auto firearm laws.

If I or the NRA are wrong in your opinion, please share your thoughts.

God bless,

Birdgun

9 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Did he also have explosives?   I heard that on the radio but figure it could be an erroneous report from a station that wonders how he had one gun in the hotel.

They reported that they found Tannerite and Ammonium nitrate in his car. How true that was may never be known. 

19 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I must admit that I'm a little surprised that the NRA is supporting a review of bump stocks.  And, since I don't have an interest in black rifles, I didn't even know there was such a thing as bump stocks or kits that can turn an AR-15 into an automatic.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/05/nra-calls-for-atf-review-bump-stocks-new-regulations-after-las-vegas-shooting.html

By the way, I also support a review of stocks or kits that go around the spirit of the law.   If one wants an auto firearm, follow auto firearm laws.

God bless,

Birdgun

Bump Stock have been around a short while. They are good for the economy as they allow people to expend vast amounts of ammunition is a very short time. Bump stocks also make it easier to over heat said firearms resulting in a shortened life which benefits the firearms manufacturers as they get to sell replacement parts.

Sometimes I wish the firearms industry would quit giving the anti-gun nuts ammunition to attack the second.

I would be curious to know how many people were actually shot versus injured/killed in the mad panic to vacate the area.

12 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I would be curious to know how many people were actually shot versus injured/killed in the mad panic to vacate the area.

I was listening to the news on Tuesday and they had the top cop from Vegas on. He admitted that the injury count included MANY people who tripped and fell, were trampled in the effort to escape, injured themselves trying to climb fences, or even had their hands slammed in doors during the event.  The media has intentionally added these non related injuries to the original count that was labeled "WOUNDED" to inflate the numbers and inflame and agitate those who don't know any better!!!

Of course the mainstream media is saying that. They are anti gun and want everyone to believe that everybody was shot. They have an agenda to fill. Not minimizing any of the injuries sustained during the attack, but that's just what we can expect from the mainstream media.

All injuries can certainly be ascribed to the actions of the shooter. Not all of the injuries are gunshot wounds. 

6 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Ms, Mary, (in my most gentle voice) the press implications is not my main concern.

I know....your main concern IS the injured people, same as mine....just pointing out that there's a lot of folks that will believe any crap the media feeds them...and it won't help our cause....

3 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

I know....your main concern IS the injured people, same as mine....just pointing out that there's a lot of folks that will believe any crap the media feeds them...and it won't help our cause....

You're certainly right about that. I think it safe to say the general populace is nowhere near as discerning as are we.

JHC

4 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

God bless,

Birdgun

I am diametrically opposed to ANY further infringement on our Second Amendment rights!!  The opposition has proved time and time again that if we give them ANY quarter that they will aggressively try for more.  "Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile!!" We have abrogated portions of our birthright in the name of compromise again and again only to find them right back in our faces and demanding further concessions, again in the name of compromise!!

"NO MORE" I say!!  NOT ONE MORE STEP BACKWARD!!!!  They demand a bite of the cake and you give them one. Next, they demand a piece of the cake. Again you accommodate. Now they want half of the cake. Once more you give them what they want, hoping that this will shut them up. "You don't need more than one piece of cake" they tell you and you surrender that much more!!  Finally, they want your last piece of cake and they don't even let you have the crumbs!!!

IT IS MY CAKE!!  I'LL SHARE IT WITH WHOEVER I CHOOSE TO!!  YOU WILL NOT TAKE ONE CRUMB!!

3 hours ago, Calico Mary said:

yes, but the press is implying that all the wounded are suffering from gunshots....not the case at all!!

I did not get that impression. Naturally they are only interviewing the wounded or those who lost friends/family members. But I have also seen them mention injuries incured in the panic.

What I haven’t seen, and maybe I missed it, is exactly how many gunshot wounds were treated at the hospitals. I’m dsure they have that info.

Yes they have that info, and unfortunately the media doesn't want to delve into those nuances, nor does the public want to think about it. It's too complicated to parse the numbers in a soundbite or a headline. From what I've seen/heard, the media is referring to anyone injured as "wounded", which implies by gunshot. 

It matters little to the victims or their families whether they were trampled or shot, it was still the result of a horrific act by a shooter. Still, I'd like to see some stats on how many of those 500 injured were wounded by gunfire or panic. 

57 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Yes they have that info, and unfortunately the media doesn't want to delve into those nuances, nor does the public want to think about it. It's too complicated to parse the numbers in a soundbite or a headline. From what I've seen/heard, the media is referring to anyone injured as "wounded", which implies by gunshot. 

It matters little to the victims or their families whether they were trampled or shot, it was still the result of a horrific act by a shooter. Still, I'd like to see some stats on how many of those 500 injured were wounded by gunfire or panic. 

I suspect it will be a lot. Sustained fire into a huge crowd for over 10 minutes.

4 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Slim (in my gentlest voice), it really doesn't matter to me how a person was killed or wounded, whether by gunfire or panic.  My heart breaks for them either way.  Please forgive me if this analogy is inappropriate, but does it matter how a person was killed or injured on 9-11.  Does it matter if a person was killed in the twin towers by the plane or from jumping out a window?  To me, I don't care a spit how a person was injured or killed.  It was caused by nothing but pure evil.  In the recent Las Vegas carnage, it was with a gun that was used and obviously it matters to some of you fine folks; just not to me. 

I know Birdgun well and he is sincere in his feelings. 

What DOES matter in all of this reporting is the inflated "injury count" as juxtaposed with the "rapid fire" element.  The media purposely combines "wounded" with "the rest of the resulting injuries" without differentiation, to artificially inflate the "perception" of the volume of bullets actually fired!  The greater the perceived number of projectiles sent into the crowd, the more ardent and vehement will likely be the desired outcry they hope to produce!!

1 minute ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I know Birdgun well and he is sincere in his feelings. 

What DOES matter in all of this reporting is the inflated "injury count" as juxtaposed with the "rapid fire" element.  The media purposely combines "wounded" with "the rest of the resulting injuries" without differentiation, to artificially inflate the "perception" of the volume of bullets actually fired!  The greater the perceived number of projectiles sent into the crowd, the more ardent and vehement will likely be the desired outcry they hope to produce!!

I'm sure glad you did not pack your tent.

52 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I'm sure glad you did not pack your tent.

+1

:D

It is Friday the 6th, I will not listen to any more of the news, politicians or any of the other nonsense that is floating around.  What happened defys normal logic..  It was bound to happen though.  The level of unpredictable predatory behavior is escalating for a variety of reasons.  The people committing crimes of mass violence are a extremely small population in our country.  We need to focus on the healing, the shooter is dead.  After seeing how the EMS and Police responded, they are a credit to the industry.  The overall response to help others was seen recently in regions traumatized by weather and now in Las Vegas.  The core population in the US is good, the mean and evil will always exist and always have.  We need to stay strong, put God first and move forward.  Never forget to help a stranger and never forget predators exist along with Satin.  My prayers to all involved.

17 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I am diametrically opposed to ANY further infringement on our Second Amendment rights!!  The opposition has proved time and time again that if we give them ANY quarter that they will aggressively try for more.  "Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile!!" We have abrogated portions of our birthright in the name of compromise again and again only to find them right back in our faces and demanding further concessions, again in the name of compromise!!

"NO MORE" I say!!  NOT ONE MORE STEP BACKWARD!!!!  They demand a bite of the cake and you give them one. Next, they demand a piece of the cake. Again you accommodate. Now they want half of the cake. Once more you give them what they want, hoping that this will shut them up. "You don't need more than one piece of cake" they tell you and you surrender that much more!!  Finally, they want your last piece of cake and they don't even let you have the crumbs!!!

IT IS MY CAKE!!  I'LL SHARE IT WITH WHOEVER I CHOOSE TO!!  YOU WILL NOT TAKE ONE CRUMB!!

There is a good cartoon illustrating this.

There is also a good Penn and Teller skit about this mentality and "sharing the wealth. "

Non sequitur, of sorts, but... 

Fifty lbs of Tannerite in the dude's car?  :huh:

How large a ka-boom would that have made?  Wonder where he was parked...?  :mellow:

Archived