SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Old Army Nipples

Chief Rick

Just acquired a pair of ROA's - no boxes/papers/accessories.

The nipples have a vent hole - would these be aftermarket SliXshot nipples or possibly another manufacturer?

Yes Slix Nipples 

11 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

All nipples have a vent hole.  Otherwise the gun would not fire.

Larsen,

When I say vent holes, I mean as illustrated below.

SlixShotNipples.jpg

2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Appreciate the replies.

I need a nipple wrench and would rather buy the correct one the first time.

I like my Ted Cash ratcheting nipple wrench. 

BTW Ruger has pdf copies of manuals for both blued and Stainless ROAs on its website.  Also, drop by your local Wally World after muzzleloader season and you can buy accessories at a discount.

2 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I like my Ted Cash ratcheting nipple wrench. 

So do I.  I bought one for my possibles bag for range use, and one for my cleaning kit at home.  Never hurts to have a spare!  :D

15 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Yes

I think most of us are intelligent enough to know that a nipple has to have a hole in both ends to act as a channel for the spark to reach the powder charge. I also think most of us know that Chief Rick's question did not concern the fire channel.  He was asking about a vent hole in the side of the nipple that allows compressed air to escape when gun is fired.

I thought your response was in inappropriate to someone who was trying to learn something about our sport.

Lucky

5 hours ago, Lucky R. K. said:

I think most of us are intelligent enough to know that a nipple has to have a hole in both ends to act as a channel for the spark to reach the powder charge. I also think most of us know that Chief Rick's question did not concern the fire channel.  He was asking about a vent hole in the side of the nipple that allows compressed air to escape when gun is fired.

I thought your response was in inappropriate to someone who was trying to learn something about our sport.

Lucky

You made a whole bunch of assumptions.  When dealing with an imprecise question you have to start with the basics.

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

You made a whole bunch of assumptions.  When dealing with an imprecise question you have to start with the basics.

This is why I stopped coming to this board.

Maybe when dealing with an "imprecise question" one should choose not waste their time responding.

Archived