SASS Wire Forum

.22 rimfire problems...

Chili Ron

Howdy,

For many years Ive used .22 rimfire ammo.

Many makes of ammo, many guns. 

Just lately I hear some folks are having trouble with 22s not fitting into

their 22 guns.

I shrugged it off until it happened to ME.

I contacted the company and they are sending me stuff so I can send them

the remaining ammo.

Im just wondering if others are having problems with .22s not fitting into guns???

Im not trying to bad mouth the mfg, they are doing what I would do in this situation.

Best

CR

"Could you be anymore specific?"  Sure hope he is.........:lol:

Details would be good here. :huh:

What do you mean 'not fitting'? Like it will not enter the chamber?? Or it doesn chamber all the way or WHAT?

What gun is this?

OLG

Hey Chili.

I won't ask about the brand.

But Slater and I shoot our .22's nearly every Sunday afternoon back out on the farm.   Hundreds of rounds each time.

Anyhow, we haven't experience any issues with the brands we use.    Mostly, its CCI and FEDERAL.

We do shoot some Winchester and Aguila with no problems.   And I put a couple hundred rounds of the BROWNING .22  1435 fps stuff thru my Marlin model 60 with no problems.

Our guns:  Super modified Ruger 10/22's,  factory 10/22's, Marlin model 60's, Browning Buckmarks,  Browning 1911-22, and even a S&W M&P Compact.

Hope you find the culprit and keep us informed.

..........Widder

i have yet to have an issue with 'loading' any 22cal ammo , but ...i have had far more dud rounds with recent purchase ammo than my older stored and childhood ammo , i blame high production automated equipment but am glad the product is on the shelves again , i love my 22s - have a bunch - appreciate that the crunch is over , wish the prices would go back to normal but know that this will never again be so , 

Howdy,

Not fitting as the rounds wont go into the cylinder of a Ruger Bearcat.

I took the cylinder out of the Bearcat and tried loading rounds.

Most rounds went in just about to the brass case and stopped.

Out of about 40 rounds three went in all the way.

I did try one in a 10/22, it stopped hard with about 2/3 of the case

not chambered.

I had to hit the cleaning rod real hard to get the round back out.

Im glad I didn't start with the semi autos.

Ive seen reloads that did this but its a FIRST for .22 lr.

Is it clear what 'not fit' means?

And yes all other .22 ammo has fit just fine.

MY question is, 'Have others been having this problem?'

And if so with what ammo?

Best

CR

44 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

MY question is, 'Have others been having this problem?'

And if so with what ammo?

Best

CR

Chili,

I mentioned the ammo Slater and I have been using.  In particular, here is a better list:

CCI:   Blazer, Standard Velocity, 'QUIET',  Mini-Mag RN,  Mini-Mag HP,  Green Label, Stinger,  Velocitor.

FEDERAL:  white box bulk,  black box bulk,  red box bulk (which is coated HP),  HV Match,  Target, Gold Medal target.

REMINGTON:  bulk Bucket

WINCHESTER:  red box 100 pack (coated HP),   M-22.

and all kinds of the Aguila stuff.

..........Widder

I've never run into this, and probably shoot around 1000 .22's a month.  But I restrict my ammo selection to Federal and CCI as they feed reliably in our Rugers. 

I'm really curious about which brand and model of ammo you're finding this with. 

Is it too obvious to ask if you have looked at the insides of the throats of the cylinder real well?  And maybe brushed out any lead and fouling recently?  Probably the first thing you did, I'm sure.

You could put a mic or caliper on the OD of bullet ahead of the case mouth.  Compare it to other brands that are functioning well.   Should be about 0.222 or .223 OD at the fattest part of the exposed bullet.  Anything over .223 would be suspect.  Those could have been caused by factory misadjustment of the seater die, or the knurling tool, when the bullet was being swaged and sized.

Good luck, GJ

Howdy,

Winchester 45 grain .22.  Brand new ammo

Again, the company is sending shipping labels to get

a look at this.

As to the Bearcat all other ammo just drops in.

And I scrubbed the cylinder even tho other ammo fit easy.

I heard that browning .22s were a problem as well.

Best

CR

Howdy,

I bought a cheap box of .22s at Farm and Fleete and tried to put

em in the Bearcat.  They dropped right in with NO pushing whatever needed.

Any way if you aren't having problems, good for you.

Winchester will get these and can see whats up.

I only have a vague idea of where my calipers are.

Work on garage takes priority over digging for tools.

That light at the end of the tunnel is called winter.

I might or might not hear any sort of explanation....

Certain lots of Winchester power point are excellent in my

favorite 10/22 superchief.

Best

CR

i shoot a lot of 22's have the same problems with the winchester that is in the black boxes of 250rds other brands ok  the little bear cat is a tight machinged weapon.sent the original one back they sent me a new one. problem solved. but the ammo problem is still there. i have close to a thousand rounds of that stuff. i shoot all brands mostly federal and remington

Howdy,

Its outside of my post but tight specs generally result in accuracy.

The ammo needs to be made to correct spec.

Changing the cylinder seems counterproductive.

Ive heard some folks go to great expense to get 1911s tight.

Best

CR

One of our buckaroos at the SC match this weekend had been having a lot of misfires with Federal 22s.  A range (indoor) owner in town threw away a couple hundred CCI 22s this past week - wouldn't fire in SW MP 22 or the new Ruger Mark IV...they chambered...didn't fire. 

Haven't heard anything like this before - Federal does own CCI...???

Well, I must be living right because I went back out on the farm again this afternoon and fired off numerous rounds by numerous manufacturers.........and they all went back on first strike.

Of course, this was with semi auto rifles and not pistols.     BUT, I have had similar success with my Buckmarks,  Browning 1911-22, and S&W  M&P compact .22

Just for the record, I have been shooting both older stuff and new stuff.   The newer stuff had been purchased earlier this summer and as recent as 1 week ago from Walmart.

..........Widder

Living right???  I think maybe just LUCKY! :P

On 10/1/2017 at 1:32 PM, Scarlett said:

One of our buckaroos at the SC match this weekend had been having a lot of misfires with Federal 22s.  A range (indoor) owner in town threw away a couple hundred CCI 22s this past week - wouldn't fire in SW MP 22 or the new Ruger Mark IV...they chambered...didn't fire. 

Haven't heard anything like this before - Federal does own CCI...???

Yep, .22 ammo has had a lot of quality control issues for the last 15 years.   The problem you cite comes from not getting the primer compound spun completely around the rim in the cases.  I've carefully pulled slugs from .22s that failed to fire, and the firing pin dent was at one of the spots where the priming compound was missing.   

It's a common problem.  Cheap bulk .22, especially from Winchester and Remington, have been the "usual suspects" in the past.   It's sad to hear that Federal / CCI family of .22s may also be letting down their quality control.  

Yes, Federal, CCI, Estate, Alliant powder, Bushnell, Redfield, Tasco, Simmons, RCBS, Speer, Bell Sports, Savage/Stevens Arms, are all Alliant Techsystems companies under a spinoff company that Alliant set up named Vista Outdoors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vista_Outdoor

I tend to buy only the target lines of .22 ammo anymore, even if it is twice the price.  I hate a click instead of a pop.  Federal Match (711B) and Hi-Velocity Match (719) have just about always worked well.  711B being the standard velocity version.    CCI Pistol and Rifle match also.  I don't trust ANY Winchester.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks for the insight, Garrison Joe!  I will share this!

Hugs,

Scarlett

I had problems with a brick of Aguila. Rounds would not chamber in my S+W revolver or my Ruger 22-45. They would not fit in the magazine of the Ruger. I had another brick of Aguila and they worked just fine. Neither gun has had a problem with other brands including Remington, CCI, Winchester and Blazer. My neighbors Henry chambers and fires the Aguila just fine. They must have had a problem with 1 lot. I did not contact the company. They worked fine in the Henry so we worked a trade for a box of Federal.

Had a problem with some Winchester 22 Mag. recently.   

New box of 50.  Two of the first three out of the box failed to go bang.  I unloaded the gun and started examining the rounds.  I noticed a few of the rounds still in the box, the bullet had been pushed back into the case.   With not much effort,  you could easily push the bullet into the case 'til the front of it was flush with the case mouth.  

... brick of Aguila.  They would not fit in the magazine of the Ruger.  (model 22-45)

And THOSE were too long (OAL), most likely  Bad sign when ammo won't fit in a popular size magazine.

Good luck, GJ

Archived