SASS Wire Forum

S&W 617 Ejector Sticks

Brooklyn Slim

I'm shooting my S&W 617, using a speed loader between "stages", sort of an action shoot.  After the second set, the rounds become difficult to eject, and after the fourth I need to tap the ejector with a hammer in order to empty the cylinder.  Shooting variety of ammo with same result.

I loaded the spent brass back into the cylinder to check for fit, thinking they expanded during firing, but they inserted easily.  The ejector moves freely when the cylinder is empty, and does not appear to be bent.

Was going to get a Ruger GP100, but after rooting around various blogs, it seems some Rugers has a similar issue, although a number of people indicated they did not have the problem with either a Ruger or the 617.  

Any suggestions on what the problem might be, or how to correct?  617 is a nice firearm, and a good shooter.

Appreciate any help.

B Slim

Tried running a swab through the cylinders with a touch of Ballistol.  worked for one set, then problem repeated.  Fully cleaned cylinders when at home before going to range.  Problem persists.  

Would the cylinders be overheating due to "rapid" repeated firing,?

The cylinders look shiny with no visible burs or machining tool marks.  I'll try polishing with fine abrasive wet/dry paper and oil.  Read some "how to" articles, but there doesn't seem to be honing tools for .22 caliber.

Assume I only need to polish to depth os brass, not entire cylinder length?

Thanks for the input.

B Slim

DO NOT USE WET/DRY SANDPAPER FOR THIS!

Take a 22-25cal 'mop' and put some Flitz Polish on it.

Put 'mop' in drill motor. At a medium rpm, work mop back and forth for about 30 seconds in each chamber.

Clean cyl thoroughly and test fire.

If you can hold the cyl in your hand after 'rapid' fire, it ain't hot.

I had to do this to my S&W K-22, to fix the same issue you are having.

OLG

Is it FRITZ or FLITZ?  Been getting returns for Flitz when searching for Fritz.

Flitz Polish is available locally at Advance Auto, but haven't found anything for Fritz Polish

Thanks for warning about wet/dry sandpaper.  Just got some, and glad I checked here before going to work on the cylinder.

B Slim

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

DO NOT USE WET/DRY SANDPAPER FOR THIS!

Take a 22-25cal 'mop' and put some Fritz Polish on it.

Put 'mop' in drill motor. At a medium rpm, work mop back and forth for about 30 seconds in each chamber.

Clean cyl thoroughly and test fire.

If you can hold the cyl in your hand after 'rapid' fire, it ain't hot.

I had to do this to my S&W K-22, to fix the same issue you are having.

OLG

I like this plan of OLG. ^

The problem sounds like a carbon buildup right at the case mouth and after numerous firing, the carbon has built up enough to create stickiness.   This strictly a thought.  BUT,  I have experience similar stickiness in a previous 617 I had and even a couple .22 Single action revolvers.

..........Widder

5 hours ago, Brooklyn Slim said:

Would the cylinders be overheating due to "rapid" repeated firing,?

That would be my guess, but I wouldn't think that would happen to a modern gun like yours or a ruger. 

I have 2 older 22 revolvers (H&R and Iver Johnson) that do the same thing.  After a couple of cylinders worth I can't budge the empties at all until the cylinder cools down.  So I assume it's a heating / expansion problem.  The only fixes I've come up with are keeping some compressed air handy, finding lower power ammo, or just not shooting it.  The compressed air worked a little bit (until the can was empty) and I haven't tried the second idea yet.  But i'm going to pay attention to the thread and see if you come up with another solution. 

My thanks to OLG for his advice.

Got some Flitz Polish, and used my dremmel (battery model) to polish each cylinder chamber.  Went to range this AM and put 250 rounds, various brands (CCI Mini Mag, Winchester X, etc., no Thunderbolt), through my 617.  The last load ejected as smooth as the first load.  What a pleasure!

Shot and reloaded (speedbeez speed loader) fast as I could, which isn't fast, to see if heat might be an issue.

Again, my gratitude to OLG for taking the time to help.

B Slim

I had the same problem with my 617. After doing some research I called S&W and talked to them about the problem.

They had me send the gun in to see if it was indeed tight chambers. They had the gun a couple of weeks and sent it back to me

with a new cylinder,

Works great now. No charge. They are a great company.

By the way mine is a ten shot.

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yeah, that OLG ain't just another pretty face, ya know...

Well, I agreed with OLG, plus..... I know how to spell 'Flitz'............ :lol::lol:

..........Widder

Archived