SASS Wire Forum

Help your Match Directors..

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

the title pretty much says it all,,,  Match Directors get tired too,,, they can't and shouldn't have to do it all...  arrive a lil early and give a hand putting on finishing touches,,  stay behind after shooting and help tear down and put things away,,,  

I know lots of clubs have plenty of help,,, but pay attention to your club,,,  after all,,, if just a few are doing it all,,, what's going to happen if they get burnt out and quit...?

15 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

the title pretty much says it all,,,  Match Directors get tired too,,, they can't and shouldn't have to do it all...  arrive a lil early and give a hand putting on finishing touches,,  stay behind after shooting and help tear down and put things away,,,  

I know lots of clubs have plenty of help,,, but pay attention to your club,,,  after all,,, if just a few are doing it all,,, what's going to happen if they get burnt out and quit...?

+ 1000 For MD, as well as support team !!

LSL

Cheyenne, you are so very correct. MDs across the country are carrying a heavy load. Without them our wonderful game would die. Even the most enthusiastic and dedicated person gets worn down after a while. Nothing will rejuvenate that person more than others coming forward to help carry the load. The future of Cowboy Action Shooting lays directly in the lap of our local clubs. If they die, the game dies, regardless of what happens to the organization of SASS. It is our local clubs that will dictate the future. Club members need to pitch in and help with the task of making their local clubs work. Just a little help will go a long way.

Snakebite

I would like to add to that and say help the local club!  The MD is just one player among many that have to come together to create a good match.

At Doc Holliday's Immortals there are no stages to shoot without the Rainmaker writing them.  

There's no website without Marauder paying the fees out of his own pocket and keeping it updated.  

There's no scoring without Shootin Sharyn, Sheryl, and Marauder working the keyboard.

There's no steel to shoot without Chili Pepper Jack, Pale Ale Rider and Georgia Slayer slinging steel on Fridays.

There's no side match without Pale Ale or Pig Iron Lane stepping up and running it.

There's no food to eat for lunch without Rebecca's home cooking.

At then end of the day the range would be a mess and we would never get out of there if it weren't for regular DHI members who hang around and sling steel after a long match.

Yeah I get to stand up in front of everybody and look good (it's a gift, just ask Purdy Boy), but without our team we wouldn't have a club.

Now, if anyone really wants to help, the club could sure use a golf cart to haul steel.;)

All clubs need support from their membership. Not just on match day. Most clubs have work days to build, repair, or spruce up the range. please try to go when you can. Work days can be a lot of fun, especially when there are a bunch of folks there to pitch in. 

On match days, there are about a million things to get done. not just writing stages and setting steel, but putting out water, blankets, flags, counter stick, spraying wasps, putting  TP in the outhouse, checking for snakes in the outhouse, getting the timers,  looking for fresh batteries for the timers, collecting money, setting posses, the list goes on. For the shooters that just show up 5 minutes before the match, it would be helpful if you got there a few minutes early to help out. Ands stayed a few minutes after to help put up.

I will admit that it is nice to go visiting at another club and just shoot and do normal posse chores every once in a while, and not worry about running the match. but I do try to help put out and pick up after.

I've been thinking of this very topic. What would happen if people showed up for a match and NOTHING was set up. They would be put into groups and had to write a couple of scenarios, set up the targets, paint them, get out the carpets, flags, air horns, help with registration. Be a part of everything so they know just how much work goes into setting up a match., How many would stay and help and how many would leave. Just curious.

LF

Archived