SASS Wire Forum

Arkansas Stone Set

Come On Christmas

I find most of my larger stones at large woodworkers shops.  The selection is so much better and I can see what I'm getting.  I really like Arkansas oil stones, but have a few India and carborundums for rough work.

Brownell's will have the right small stones for smoothing actions (knife edge, true square, round, etc).    And Cratex tips for polishing.  Yes, they will not be bargain basement priced, But with care they last a long time. 

Good luck, GJ

Cool thanks fellers.

here be the impetus of the project. A little wordy, but appears to be good information.

http://www.time-slice.com/mohave.gambler/favorites/Remington/58_Rem_tuning/58_Rem_tuning.htm

The devil made me buy this on a Sunday.  I paid the buy now rather than let it slip away.  The frame and trigger guard are chrome.

Give me some more tips iffn' you can.

Crayfish

IMG_4162.PNG

Doubt the frame is chrome.  It's almost always nickel when a firearm is plated.   Be careful with copper-removing solvents on nickel plated guns.  A less than perfect plating job leaves holes for the bore solvent to get in to the underlying copper plate layer, dissolving and bubbling the copper which then shows as corrosion spots in the nickel plate.      And it continues to get worse.  Use CLP or something that has NO ammonia (avoid Hoppe's 9 and other copper removers).

Good luck, GJ  

48 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Doubt the frame is chrome.  It's almost always nickel when a firearm is plated.   Be careful with copper-removing solvents on nickel plated guns.  A less than perfect plating job leaves holes for the bore solvent to get in to the underlying copper plate layer, dissolving and bubbling the copper which then shows as corrosion spots in the nickel plate.      And it continues to get worse.  Use CLP or something that has NO ammonia (avoid Hoppe's 9 and other copper removers).

Good luck, GJ  

Duh, your right Joe it's nickel.  I'm not excited about it am I?

Eww look.  The Remington will look boss aside my nickel Stoeger.

IMG_4164.PNG

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

You're going to be the king of bling.  Shiny all the way to the finish line!

Good luck, GJ

Now if I was only quicker?

Archived