SASS Wire Forum

Small pistol primer.

Attica Jack  #23953

Today, I was almost out of ammo, and started to load about 600 pieces of 44 mag. with a 200gr. bullet, using my Dillon Square Deal press.  Everything was going fine, after about 300 rds. I had a primer that was difficult to seat, the powder dropped, the bullet loaded and crimped.  Upon inspection, the primer was just into the primer pocket.  I pulled the bullet, saved the powder and removed the primer.   It turned out that the 44 mag. brass had a small pistol primer, this is the second time this year this has happened to me.  First we deal with 45acp. with small primers and now 44mag. brass.  Has any one else run into this with 44 mag. brass?    Thanks   Attica Jack

Great, now some company is loading non-toxic primers in .44 Mags too.  Would be a LOT better for us reloaders for the component makers to figure out how to make a working Large primer that is non-lead-based.

Good luck, GJ

Google is your friend (or is it??????? <_< )

Here's one maybe?:  https://frangiblebullets.com/44-Magnum-185gr.-Flat-point-Box-of-50.html

Says non-toxic, but it doesn't look like small pistol in the picture.

Never heard of a staked-in primer on a .44 mag.  Let's find out what headstamp is on the brass that AJ has.

Also, have not heard of anyone making a non-toxic primer that is large diameter. 

So the picture is perhaps a prototype they worked up that is not "non-toxic" before they got a batch of brass made that has small primer pockets,  or they are labeling their product as non-toxic when it isn't.  Fishy either way.

Good luck, GJ

13 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Google is your friend (or is it??????? <_< )

Here's one maybe?:  https://frangiblebullets.com/44-Magnum-185gr.-Flat-point-Box-of-50.html

Says non-toxic, but it doesn't look like small pistol in the picture.

The 'non-toxic' deal with them is the bullet.

https://www.iccammo.com/collections/pistol/products/44-rem-mag-185-grain-frangible-flat-point-training

Clearly states 'standard primer'. ;)

Looks like they use Starline brass also.

OLG

24 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The 'non-toxic' deal with them is the bullet.

https://www.iccammo.com/collections/pistol/products/44-rem-mag-185-grain-frangible-flat-point-training

Clearly states 'standard primer'. ;)

Looks like they use Starline brass also.

OLG

Okay well obviously the link I posted had incorrect info since it said "International Cartridge Flat Point training and hunting 44 Magnum ammunition with a non-toxic primer. "

3 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Okay well obviously the link I posted had incorrect info since it said "International Cartridge Flat Point training and hunting 44 Magnum ammunition with a non-toxic primer. "

That why it's best to check the link out, whenever you can. ;)

OLG

35 minutes ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

The primer is gone...found 2 more when I finished up my reloading this morning.

That is the most ambiguous sit-rep I've ever seen.  :o  Sorry for being blunt.

Pick one of these two:

The face of the primer punched out while decapping, but the ring around the pocket  broke off and remained stuck in pocket, making it impossible to seat a new primer

or

Primer got completely removed by the decapping process, and the pocket really is a small primer diameter.

Good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

The primer was completely removed.  I just wondered if any one else had come across small pistol primers in a 44 mag. brass case.

Never seen a SP .44 cal handgun case in my 50+ yrs of reloading.

Please-Lets see a picture!

OLG

7 hours ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

Don't know how to post a photo.....I have tried and failed.

AJ,

Save te photo to your computer.

Come back to this thread and clivk in the reply to this topic window.

when the window opens At the bottom left there is a picture of a paperclip. Click on the link "choose files"

A new window will open. navigate to where you saved the picture. and select it. Once the picture is loaded you will see it below where you are typing.

Click submit post

OK, you guys were right.  The primer face punched out but the primer rim stayed in.  I dug the offending brass out of the trash, and looked at it under a microscope...and ta da the dismembered primer was still in the case.  I tried to pry it out, no joy there, so I drilled it out, it was really stuck.  Then I threw it away.   I did find some HRTRS brass that a large primer pocket, the primer would start to seat, but that was as far as it went.............those went into the trash too.

I wondered how you got a large primer to seat in a small primer case.

1 hour ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

OK, you guys were right.  The primer face punched out but the primer rim stayed in.  I dug the offending brass out of the trash, and looked at it under a microscope...and ta da the dismembered primer was still in the case.  I tried to pry it out, no joy there, so I drilled it out, it was really stuck.  Then I threw it away.   I did find some HRTRS brass that a large primer pocket, the primer would start to seat, but that was as far as it went.............those went into the trash too.

Attica jack,

There are actually 44 mag cases in the wild with small primer pockets vice large.

Here is the link

Hornady also makes and sells 45-70 rounds that have shorter than standard length cases. It is their Leverolution ammo line. Got a few a while back in some range brass and they sure caused issues. 

Archived