SASS Wire Forum

New Doc Holliday movie

Alas, Kilmer will remain the quintessential Doc in my mind forever. ;)

I choose to remember Kilmer AND Dennis Quaid!  The combination of the two is probably nearest to the actual attitude and comportment of Holiday!  Dennis Quaid's Doc Holiday was the only redeeming portion of the sorry Costner movie!!

I read both books by Mary Doria Russell and they're fantastic reads! She lives in Lyndhurst about 7-8 miles from me! I can hardly wait for this movie!!! I suggest you give Jeremy Renner a break until you see it! He might do a great job!!;)

25 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

He might do a great job!!

Yeah....when I first heard that Val Kilmer was playing Doc, all I could envision was the puffed up moron from Top Gun.....never expected the absolutely stunning performance he gave.

And Quaid was prime in his own interpretation.

Renner will have to reach down deep to equal either one of those.

LL

39 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I suggest you give Jeremy Renner a break until you see it! He might do a great job!!;)

Okay, I'll give him a break.  

I supposed it'll have to be like hearing that the Coen Brothers wanted to do True Grit with Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, and some unknown little snot named Hailee Steinfeld.  I laughed my butt off at the audacity of thinking somebody could re-make the classic.

I ate my words after watching the movie, especially the little snot who nailed Mattie Ross.

The movie  hasn't been named yet...but I will reserve judgment until I see it.

Val Kilmer IS Doc Holiday, to me, so he will have to be stellar to surpass Val's performance. Quaid was great in the role as well.

Too bad they couldn't get Trace Adkins for the role.  He would have been

Aw, Man...I am not sure what happened. I was typing a while ago and something hit me and knocked me senseless. I was told it was a plethora of virtual bricks and rocks...

Renner is a good actor. I am guessing he will portray Doc quite well.

If you want to see Renner in a western go back and watch The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. He can do a western.  

Kilmer and Quaid's roles were both very good. Renner should not try to fill their boots however, but try and fill Doc's.  Same as Jeff Bridges did not want to revisit John Wayne in True Grit, but honor the Charles Portis' Rooster Cogburn character.

Nothing against Jeremy Renner. I like him as an actor and I am sure he will do a fine job. I will certainly plan on seeing the movie. I suspect I will still picture Val Kilmer anytime I think "Doc Holliday" though.

Heck, one of my favorite scenes in 'The Age of Ultron' has Renner:

Renner is a fine actor.  I hope he looks tubercular like Quaid did.  The real John Holliday was a physical wreck when the gunfight at the O K Corral went down.  

Glad to see another western of course.  Here's hoping it respects history.

Like many folks, I really liked Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday but I am really looking forward to what Mr. Renner brings to the role.

The books this movie will be based on were excellent. Holliday is my favorite Old West character, and I’m very excited to see this movie. The biggest question in my mind is how accurate they’ll try and be, but considering the subject matter I would imagine they’ll put some effort into it. 

Archived