SASS Wire Forum

Remembering a SIMPLER TIME

Blackwater 53393

I was straightening up around the gun room and found this!!  :rolleyes: B) :lol:

IMG_2540.jpg

Sad that it is such a far cry from what we have now!!

this has the potential for a good thread. as i understand it there's still a few "traditional" shoots around here-abouts.  i may have to look into it.  Hidden Valley shoots Sunday.   I plan to shoot that day; if so it'll be only my 2d match since 2012.    but Hidden Valley has turned into a total speed shoot.     I'm told "That's what the customers want".

reflecting though,    this is an Old Topic.   what to the lawyers say -- "stare decisis".

Yep...

IMG_0204.JPG

A lot has changed, a lot has not. The coolest thing is, this is still the most fantastic group of people to have fun with and this sport really hasn't changed all that much. At least in my opinion.

One thing that definitely remains consistent...the Wire! If I had a dollar for every time I heard the words "dead horse"? Man, I would have some of the nicest guns and gear, yessssirrreee! :D

We shot across a card table(3 ft), charcoal briquets on throwers, a squirrel at 20 yds and pigs and sheep at 40. Times were much slower but it still was enough fun to get me hooked!

1 hour ago, Noz said:

When I started I shot Modern.

Yep!! A.45 convertible Blackhawk that Hatfield had given me for my birthday, a 7.5 inch Blackhawk I borrowed from my dad, a genuine Winchester '94 that Schoolmarm had given me for one or another anniversary, and one of those old Norinco #99 doubles that felt like it was full of sand!!:lol:

I didn't even have an alias at that first match!  B)B)

my first match -- at Hastings "Double Barrel Gang" -- I had and old 3-screw .41 Blackhawk,   a Ruger/Vaquero .44, and a Marlin 8-shot .44 carbine.   I had to buy a Stoeger SxS and some leather to put my rig together.

in those days we often shot reactive targets that would go into motion, once hit.   or a variety of moving targets of various schemes.    one of my favorites was the Buckboard wagon Midnight Desperado had at Warsaw.   it was mounted on coil springs.    if you were careful -- it didn't bounce too much while you were trying to shoot

Ya'know?  Used to be you got one of these booktlets every year with your renewal!  My original one from 2003 got ruined in a rainstorm riding in my gun cart!

Can you imagine the expense of sending out today's rulebook with every renewal and new sign-up?? :o:o :lol:

Somewhere is mine from 1996.  This thread got me to thinking about the original four categories.  Yup, only 4, and based totally on your guns and shooting style.  No gender, costume, or age-based categories.

If memory serves (and that function has been slipping of late) I think we had...

Modern: pistols with adjustable sights so Blackhawks could be used.

Traditional: fixed sight pistols that were shot with both hands.

Duelist: fixed sight pistols shot with one hand.

Black Powder: fixed sight guns burning the Sacred Incense.  I think cartridge and C&B fell into this category.

But I also recall a special category for C&B shooters.  Anybody recall when that came out?  

I definitely remember my two favorite stages...

The first had a pistol speed dump.  You flung open an "outhouse" door and emptied both pistols into a mannequin while he sat on the 'loo at point blank range.  More than once the Black Powder shooters set him on fire.

The second was a simple 4' piece of heavy hemp rope tossed about 8' down range.  Using every gun at your disposal, with unlimited reloads, you had to move the "snake" to a line about 20' further away.  Your time was your time when the snake crossed the 2nd line.

I still have mine in my cart. I wish those glory days were back The days when it was more about having fun then seeing how fast you can empty a gun at a garbage can size target so close that you can spit on it 

My favorite stage was probably the one where you had to shoot from 3 different positions and had to shoot 32 targets in a certain order but you could any combination of guns.

I did the whole thing with my Stoeger. Man that was COOL

It really hasn't changed that much.  I get home from a match and immediately check my email to see how I did!  Bless the club secretaries who post scores within 24 hours.  I'm competing with myself and I want to see which one of me won!!      :D

11 hours ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

my first match -- at Hastings "Double Barrel Gang" -- I had and old 3-screw .41 Blackhawk,   a Ruger/Vaquero .44, and a Marlin 8-shot .44 carbine.   I had to buy a Stoeger SxS and some leather to put my rig together.

in those days we often shot reactive targets that would go into motion, once hit.   or a variety of moving targets of various schemes.    one of my favorites was the Buckboard wagon Midnight Desperado had at Warsaw.   it was mounted on coil springs.    if you were careful -- it didn't bounce too much while you were trying to shoot

If you happened to have given your pards a hard time before the buckboard stage it could really get a movin! Usually it was MT Hart's boot on the back...... Miss that old wagon

Lots of things that have all but vanished from the game. Some good. Some bad.  

What are some things that you miss?

What are some that you dont?

Recalling my first shoot... December '95.  Used a borrowed .45 Winchester '94, my own Stevens 5100 that I'd bought back in 1970, and my .45  Blackhawk.  Don't recall if we were using two revolvers yet.  But if we were my second would have been  a .44 1860 cap 'n' ball replica.

Coulda timed me with a Baby Ben wind-up alarm clock.  ^_^

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:51 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

It really hasn't changed that much.  I get home from a match and immediately check my email to see how I did!  Bless the club secretaries who post scores within 24 hours.  I'm competing with myself and I want to see which one of me won!!      :D

Yep, and I cant wait to better myself the next time!:)

When I started right at 20 years ago, it was all about having fun. Seems like the fun factor died out a long time ago and it became all about speed. The speed demons didn't like doing all the goofy stuff we once did that made it so much fun.

My 2 cents,

JHC

55 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

When I started right at 20 years ago, it was all about having fun. Seems like the fun factor died out a long time ago and it became all about speed. The speed demons didn't like doing all the goofy stuff we once did that made it so much fun.

My 2 cents,

JHC

YUP! <_<

OLG

On September 17, 2017 at 9:51 AM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

My 2 cents,

JHC

That two cents is worth about forty bucks in my mind!!

A couple weeks ago I was cleaning up and organizing my reloading room and found my SASS handbooks from 2002, 2004 & 2006. The small brown ones like in your first pic.

Scout

This is my 20th year as well and I do miss some of the things we used to do. Like throwing a tomahawk or dynamite at a target, roping a bull,spinning a roulette wheel to see what targets we shot, or didn't shoot. Was a lot of fun, but when the sport had a huge growth spurt, there were too many shooters that something had to go. That's when it became a speed contest.Maybe someday we can go back to the old style shoots we all enjoyed.

16 minutes ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

This is my 20th year as well and I do miss some of the things we used to do. Like throwing a tomahawk or dynamite at a target, roping a bull,spinning a roulette wheel to see what targets we shot, or didn't shoot. Was a lot of fun, but when the sport had a huge groth spurt, there were too many shooters that something had to go. That's when it became a speed contest.Maybe someday we can go back to the old style shoots we all enjoyed.

Pretty hard to do once the cat's out of the bag.  Michael Bane had a write up on his web site which point was that the best in any sport determine its direction.  Total time=speed.

Archived