SASS Wire Forum

ported 44 special

Trigger Mike

charter arms makes a 44 special revolver short barrel probably 2 inches that is ported .  will a port help the recoil on that type of pistol?  I know earlier some mentioned a port does not help the 45 acp in a 1911.  It does not seem to be needed in a 9mm like S & W puts in their shield pistol.  

It will also likely cause momentary loss of sight picture in low or no light situations

Howdy,

This would be a try before you buy situatin in SPADES.

WHY, you ask....

Well those ports are darn close to yer face.

And there could be some real unpleasant flash comin right back.

Ive shot some of these and have NO desire to own one.

Now if I was in a real bind and it was life or death, sure Id shoot one. Five times even.

And I know someone is loggin on to tell me it aint all dat bad.

So try before you buy or what ever.

If I had a dollar for all the 44s that were returned for a loss after less than one box shot.

I bet that would buy at least a nice new Honda.  At least.

Best

CR

Yes it does help.

But it will also blind you if you ever have to shoot it in the dark .

Just sayin

Rooster 

local toy store has one and i always thought a compensated pistol might be neat seeing the flash come out the top, but that flash could burn if fired just as it cleared the holster or be awful bright in the dark.  I guess I was just looking for something  i could trade my S & W model 66 for.

Years ago I agreed to give my son a 44M revolver for him graduating from paramedic school.  He didn't want a SA revolver; so, the choice was a S&W model 29 or a Taurus Raging Bull.  I went to an indoor a gun store that has an indoor range, bought a box of full house hunting loads, rented both guns & shot the box.  While the muzzle blast was greater with the compensated Raging Bull my wrist didn't hurt like it did with the uncompensated model 29.  I am sure the recoil force was less but it is not obvious to me.   Both guns hammered my joints from wrist through shoulder; which, I don't find as objectionable as the muzzle rise that twists my wrist.

I've fired several ported handguns of various calibers.  I find it reduces muzzle rise, which makes things easier on the wrist.  I've never noticed any increased muzzle flash or noise, at least nothing that overrode the reduced muzzle rise.

If the pistola is fired from retention position -- if it's held in close instead of being shoved out toward the target -- you stand to inherit blast up under your spectacles.
It's a very, VERY unpleasant sensation.
If it's a competition pistol,in all likelihood, that will not be a problem.
I was impressed with the twin firehorns from a compensated .357 SIG on an indoor range.

Shot a 2" ported .32Mag several years ago at dusk.  It threw a fireball out the ports that was about the size of a basketball while using 98gr Federal .32 mags.  There was no hope for a quick, accurate follow up shot since I couldn't see squat for several seconds.

If a .32 will do that, what's a .44 Special gonna look like?

Shooting it from a retention position is gonna mean taking a face full like Linn pointed out.  I can't speak for you, but I just got the length of my goatee about where I want it and I don't like the smell of burning hair- especially when the burning hair in question is still attached to my face.

I carry a 3" 5 shot .44 Special (a DAO version of the Rossi 720) and have been for almost 20 years and I just don't see the need for ports.

12 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I carry a 3" 5 shot .44 Special (a DAO version of the Rossi 720) and have been for almost 20 years and I just don't see the need for ports.

That is the key point right there.  The ported guns I've shot have been in calibers between 9mm and 44mag.  While they make the gun more pleasant to shoot, I've also shot the same type guns without ports and they're still quite manageable.  I'll also add that all my shooting of ported guns has been leisurely plinking or target work.  No up-close-and-personal stuff where a vertical flame might singe my personage.

As for the 5-shot 44 specials made by various manufacturers, I WANT ONE, ported or not!  I've tried a few and loved every one.  One of my great gun buying regrets is not pouncing on a S&W 696 when they first came out. 

Taurus made a great five shot revolver several years ago.  Most were stainless. Most were ported.  I have nothing against a ported pistol for recreational use, but for situations where the chips are down, I don't want that muzzle flash redirected up into my line of sight.  

I wanted the Taurus 450 because it was .45 Colt and I finally found one that wasn't ported.  The guy who owned it apologized for the lack of porting and said he'd talked to his gunsmith about having it done. I assured him that the lack of porting was a top selling point to me and gladly and quickly made the deal.  Even with hot loaded ammo, it shoots smoothly and I have no problem with muzzle rise.  It was worth the wait!!

My .44 was a Charter Bulldog and it rode in the inside breast pocket of my uniform jacket.

It was a backup pistol for my belt revolver.

Shot well, perfectly controllable, not ported.

Like the wise sages who've posted previously, I can most heartily recommend the short blocky .44 as a hideout persuader!

Archived