SASS Wire Forum

Coffee Maker

Subdeacon Joe

Went to make a pot of coffee after dinner.   Amount five minutes after I hit the start button I realized I wasn't hearing it working.   Checked it.  Light was in, both it would dim and then brighten, then dim.   

Out to get a new one.

At least I didn't find out tomorrow morning. 

9 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Hmmm, sounds like you were not prepared for every emergency.

I could have gone with our French press, both on a work day it's a pain in the butt to make enough for me, my bride, and for what I take to work. 

Please cut the cord off the old unit before you throw it away.

Spent a number of years as national counsel to an appliance manufacturer.  Can't count how many times folks who tried to do their own repairs, or others who tried to resurrect old, damaged units, ended up with fires.  Modern $40 plastic appliances are not made to last forever.  

LL

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Ahhh, so if SHTF and you have fire you COULD have made coffee and SURVIVED.  B)

As long as I have a heat source, water, an empty #3 can, water, and coffee, I can make coffee.

52 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Cut the cord near the unit and discard the parts separately.

Ahhh, and it probably has an urn made for it, discard that separately also.  Now the unit has been drawn and quartered thirded.

Got the same brand, so it uses the same urn.  Now we have a spare.

Better yet.  Depending on the length of service of a failed unit I seldom buy the same model of something.

we had a company that would replace anything they sold if it failed within a year.  I think I went through half a dozen coffe grinders but only because the replacements were free.  I'd never buy the same model again.

this is certainly a Most Serious Discussion.    I hate to think how many coffee makers we've gone through over the years.    I like the stainless percolator but the temp sensors on em go bad.    they could be made so as to be easily replaced and save us a bunch of bright stainless -- but :(

so we just run Mr. Coffee.   last couple times I got 'em on sale -- Meiijjer had a pallet load of em both times, recently.     those things are so messy though -- compared with a stainless percolator

at one point I even bought one of the old time blue enamel ware percolators that you put on the stove.    but it ended up as a prop at our Cowboy Shoot.    sadly they don't use props anymore :(

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Why dispose of the pot, and an even bigger why, why dispose of it separately?

If I were to see a coffee maker and it's matching carafe, only missing a cord I would be tempted to fix the problem and make it all work.  Then I would possibly be a victim of a failed unit needing the services of a fine barrister like Loopy to recover damages.

however, I know that many coffee makers have custom carafes and not seeing the carafe nearby I would pass on trying to repair the unit.

as for discarding the carafe, I might hold onto it for a little while to see if it fits the replacement.  That is only likely if the replacement is a Bunn though.

Grew up with mom boiling water in coffee pot, then throwing in the grounds. Then we used a strainer as the coffee was poured in a cup. Later she used a percolator on the stove, then an electric percolator. When I got married, we bought a drip Mr. Coffee, but never tasted good. After a couple weeks we bought a percolator and still have it and use it daily. Have friends that buy and use still drip coffee makers and need replacement every now and then. Talked several into buying percolators, they say the taste is better and non have had to purchase replacement because they quit.

Don't care for any of this modern stuff, nor Starbucks stuff and their gimmicks. Give me a good cup of black coffee to start my mornings.  MT

My aunt had what I guess was a type of percolator; pot on the bottom, large glass reservoir that sat on top, with a tube down into the pot - operated on a vacuum principle, heating water in bottom pot, rising thru glass tube into top container with grounds; cut the heat, water cools, and returns to lower pot via tube, which also screened out the grounds.

She used it until she died in the late 1990's.  Swore by it.   I have no opinion; I don't drink coffee.

LL

siphon coffee maker.jpg

Some years ago we spent a week at at eco-cottage (Newspeak for a cabin in the woods) on Antigua. We had seen pics of the place, it was pretty bare bones. Solar power only, lights but no high amp appliances. Being a good prepper and former backpacker, I took my old backpacking coffee maker, cheap aluminum percolator (without the guts) and a Melita cone and filters, and our own coffee. Sure 'nuff, saved the day (and the week). The outside "kitchen" had nothing more than a 2 burner propane camp stove. Still had good coffee every morning!

JHC

14 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Some years ago we spent a week at at eco-cottage (Newspeak for a cabin in the woods) on Antigua. We had seen pics of the place, it was pretty bare bones. Solar power only, lights but no high amp appliances. Being a good prepper and former backpacker, I took my old backpacking coffee maker, cheap aluminum percolator (without the guts) and a Melita cone and filters, and our own coffee. Sure 'nuff, saved the day (and the week). The outside "kitchen" had nothing more than a 2 burner propane camp stove. Still had good coffee every morning!

JHC

Some times old school has all the answers. 

Howdy,

Press type coffee maker now available in Stainless steel.

I once made coffee in the dark of night deep in the Upper Pennsula woods.

At home I grind beans as used....on a trip just grind before takeoff.

Don't fergit a timer but a watch will do fine.

One burner camp stove, water various  extras.

Cant miss.

Best

CR

8 hours ago, grenadier said:

Kettle, grinder and French press is all I need.

That's my preferred method if we just want about a cup-and-a-half each.  For more, I use the Mr. Coffee.  And, in the morning, the press is just too much of a hassle.   I have two 10 to 12 ox. cups in the morning, Lisa has about the same.  I also take a 12 travel cup with me to work and sometimes a 16 oz. vacuum flask (Thermos bottle).  

I admire all the purists making coffee, but when I stagger into the kitchen in the AM, it's all I can do to load the ground coffee into the basket, fill the water reservoir and press the button for the first cup or two of heart starter.

42 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I admire all the purists making coffee, but when I stagger into the kitchen in the AM, it's all I can do to load the ground coffee into the basket, fill the water reservoir and press the button for the first cup or two of heart starter.

Set the cup out the night before?

That would require planning sir. Something I gave up on once I retired. That along with problem solving is something I no longer do unless somebody throws a lot of money at me in consultation fees.

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Yep.  That's why I use a programmable coffee maker.  Set it up at 2200, hit Delay Start, and the first cup is ready just after 0400.   Have plenty for myself, the wife, and for me to take to work.  Not having to make 3 batches in the french press.

Well, for all of the options when someone makes coffee, I'll stay with Folgers and my Bunn coffee maker. I have the filter in the basket and that's in the coffee maker. A full pot of water next to it. When I get up, I pour the water in, go get the paper 2 steps out of the front door and by the time I turn on the TV and lamp next to my chair, the coffee is ready. We "had" a Mr. Coffee, even with a timer set it's slow as cold maple syrup to make a pot unless you program it for 2 hours early.

58 minutes ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

Well, for all of the options when someone makes coffee, I'll stay with Folgers and my Bunn coffee maker. I have the filter in the basket and that's in the coffee maker. A full pot of water next to it. When I get up, I pour the water in, go get the paper 2 steps out of the front door and by the time I turn on the TV and lamp next to my chair, the coffee is ready. We "had" a Mr. Coffee, even with a timer set it's slow as cold maple syrup to make a pot unless you program it for 2 hours early.

Do you clean the reservoir once in a while?

40 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Do you clean the reservoir once in a while?

Oh yeah...we run CLR though it twice a month. We go through 4 or 5 pots a day...well I go through 4 or 5 pots  a day. The "boss" only drinks 1 or 2 cups a day. It works great and is NOT toxic.

Do you open it up and scrub the pan?

i ran the "coffee club" for a software organization for a couple years.  The company bought the Bunns, but each group did its own thing for supplies.

(topic sidetrack:  I came in one morning early - normal for me - and caught a security guard cleaning out our money box. It was 1990 and, to this day, I can remember all the details as I reported them.  In our plant there were more than 50 coffee kitchens each for at least 50 programmers, almost all with cups or boxes for money. My kitchen had gross revenue around $400 per month. We were losing almost 100 to this thief.)

Archived