SASS Wire Forum

Texican Rangers Sharp Shooter category at Shindig 2017

July Smith

Had a great time at Shindig last weekend shooting in their new category called, "sharp shooter."  You use your main match rifle to engage the red Cody Dixon targets in a 10 shot pattern and then you shoot the rifle targets with your revolvers.  Big thanks to A.D. Texaz and all other match organizers that made Shindig and the new category possible!

The stage in the video allowed you to shoot the falling shotgun targets if your revolvers didn't have enough "oomph" to knock them over.  No need to hit them with a shotgun after shooting them with the 45s.

https://youtu.be/t9D1hEYWRIs

Fort Parker has been offering Sharpshooter for 2-3 years. I enjoy the category. I may not be able to "run and gun" but I can "amble and aim"!  I like having to actually aim instead of just seeing who can cycle a gun the fastest.  Fort Parker SS rifle targets are not Cody Dixon distance as they do not have the depth to allow it, more like 30 yds or so. but smallish targets.  One potential problem is not hearing the hit on the targets at distance. spotters really need to be on their toes.  I understand the THSS is also offering Sharpshooter  now. I hope this category takes off.

14 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I like having to actually aim instead of just seeing who can cycle a gun the fastest.

Same here!  While I have the utmost respect for the shooters that can run their guns that fast.  I personally really enjoyed the challenge and semi-realism that sharpshooter added. 

At Paradise Pass we shoot our version of Sharpshooter. Five or six targets spaced from 90 to 300 yards. All targets are 16 inch disc plates and the 300 yarder is a full size steel buffalo. You can shoot it with any big bore rifle caliber, .30-30 and up, be it a single or lever. Only three shooters have ever cleaned it. Jonny Rebel, my daughter Kaya, and me.

If you need targets that really ring get those disc plates from a local farmer. Even a .22 at 200 yards can be heard well.

Hey Mr. Smith, why don't you come up and join us at Fort Parker the 3rd weekend in Oct.   That will be our annual Defend Old Fort Parker match for all the smokeless shooters, and the Southwest Territorial Shootout for all the black powder shooters.  Applications are on the Old Fort Parker Patriots website.

Kow Katcher 

5 hours ago, Kow Katcher SASS 53134 said:

Hey Mr. Smith, why don't you come up and join us at Fort Parker the 3rd weekend in Oct.   That will be our annual Defend Old Fort Parker match for all the smokeless shooters, and the Southwest Territorial Shootout for all the black powder shooters.  Applications are on the Old Fort Parker Patriots website.

Kow Katcher 

I appreciate the invite, unfortunately, Texas is just too big sometimes.  Fort Parker is about 6hrs one way from my location.

July, didja notice that out of seventy-something shooters at Shindig, 20 were signed up for SharpShooter!  I think that clearly shows the support for it, so it will be a regular category for the upcoming year.

10 hours ago, July Smith said:

I appreciate the invite, unfortunately, Texas is just too big sometimes.  Fort Parker is about 6hrs one way from my location.

Me too, but going! An added bonus is the bread pudding at The Drilling Rig restaurant! 

Shooting long range from the blockhouse is quite an experience 

Archived