SASS Wire Forum

Unloading then reloading good S/G primers?

Dusty Sometimes

I loaded 2 boxes of AA's black powder S/G shells that the crimp came out very bad and the shells are too short and unusable. So I'll need to unload them to salvage the lead shot to load into a new batch of shells. 

Can I deprime these shells, capture the good primers and reload the primers or will the depriming pin damage the primers, or just throw away the 50 primers. Of course I'd test a few first as blanks.

Thoughts? 

DS

Yes, you can deprime and reuse the primers.

Yep, I do it, carefully pushing out primer with my shotshell press.   If I have primers with a sealed cup (varnish or paper wad over the flash hole) and I damage the seal while decapping, then I toss that primer.   The seal keeps fine powder like WST or Competition from sifting down into the cup of the primer and perhaps altering how the primer fires.  If the factory thought it was good to seal the cup, then I respect that.

But I've never had a "twice loaded" shotshell primer fail to fire.

Good luck, GJ

I was experimenting with some AA's shells that I cut the crimp off,  the last 1/4", so I could roll crimp in my lateral press. Then I thought I'd see what would happen if instead of roll crimping, I put a cardboard overshot card on and half way crimp the shell close, over the card instead of full crimping it.  Just did it to experiment, and I got pointy, cut down shorty 12g shells.  But I think these are illegal. I think they have to either be roll crimped or fully crimped and not half crimped with a pointy tip. 

DS

Archived