SASS Wire Forum

38 Brass

Come On Christmas

I acquired some 38 special brass that has ring score marks on them.

This just means it's been run through an automatic, right?

Okay for my 1866 lever gun?

Crayfish

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Really need to see a picture or 2.

Very few .38 Special autos out there.:huh:

My S&W 52 leaves no case marks.

OLH

You know how to make a fellow jealous.

There is brass that has a line around it , also brass that have a cannelure around it. Perhaps this is what you have. It is something in the manufacturing , generally has to do with bullet seating , holding them in place.  Someone more articulate than I may be along to explain.

I doubt seriously if it was caused by firing.

Rex :D

1 hour ago, Crayfish 57929 said:

Okay for my 1866 leve

32 minutes ago, Shotgun Clay said:

You know how to make a fellow jealous.

r gun?

Crayfish

IMG_4140.JPG

IMG_4141.JPG

I'll go  out on a limb and say they are more for decoration than any thing. Some have them, some don't.

Yeah, please don't take away my Man Card.  I bought em cheap oft Etsy.  

They dirty.  I can fix that.

What caught my eye wuz they are nickle brass.  The lady, selling them for crafting, said they was Winchester from the 60's They got Western on the bottom of them.  I remember Winchester Western Shotgun shells?  I think.

Does that mean I gotta use Winchester primers?  I didna think of that.

500 I have now.

The Great Crayfish

3 hours ago, Crayfish 57929 said:

Okay for my 1866 lever gun?

Crayfish

Huh... Crayfish? 

Is that anythang like a crawfish?  Really lIke the alias, my friend... but I just need to understand it.

If so... you do know that's just a small, fresh-water, lobster, don't ya?  An arthropod... just like a scorpion. 

But them crawfish boiled up with cajun and vegis... onions... and other spicy-stuff.... you can't beat it.  Good eatin's.

Just askin'... friend. 

ts

1 hour ago, Crayfish 57929 said:

Yeah, please don't take away my Man Card.  I bought em cheap oft Etsy.  

They dirty.  I can fix that.

What caught my eye wuz they are nickle brass.  The lady, selling them for crafting, said they was Winchester from the 60's They got Western on the bottom of them.  I remember Winchester Western Shotgun shells?  I think.

Does that mean I gotta use Winchester primers?  I didna think of that.

500 I have now.

The Great Crayfish

Do you have any reloading manuals for reference?:huh:

.38 Special uses small pistol primers, and that is all you need. 

You chose, what brand you want........

Before you start reloading-I strongly urge you to find a tutor.

OLG

Crayfish, those cases come from the factory with the cannelure, not from being fired in an auto loader. I would not use the nickle or cannelured cases in a rifle. Nickle is famous for vertical cracks and potential stove pipes. I've had them separate at the ring and seen it happen in other rifles. They are a pain to remove from the rifle chamber if they split horizontally and can make for a bad day at the range. Use them in the pistols only. 

Crayfish, the lines, as you call them, are cannelures. They are put in the brass to keep the bullets at the right level in the automated loading processes that some ammo makers utilize. Often the cannelure looks like more of a line after the cartridge has been fired but my guess is that this is not "once fired" brass but brass that has been reloaded many times.

As Assassin said, I wouldn't fire it in a rifle. If the brass separates in the chamber it's a bear to get out.

Hey Rat... I think he means well... don't mean nothin' by it.

He kinda reminds me... of me... but I don't hate him.  He just needs to be guided... proper like.

Hope you remember my early days... I was stomped... Flint Westwood... Gunny Sackett.... etc.

All bunches of 'em... good men.

Just give him a private talkin' to.  Although i am not... he will be good. 

He don't know no better.   

ts

Assassin's words help more than the OP ... I for one would hate to have to extract a broke off round from the chamber of my '73 rifle!
I'm familiar with nickle's tendency to split, more so than brass, and the Assassin's kind warning just might have saved me grief in future!

Many thanks for that heads-up!

Crayfish, one more rude instigating post from you and I will delete your posts and ask the Administrator to block your account. 

You came on here asking a question and it seems you have decided to have some fun  instigating trouble. This is one Mod that won't play games with you or anyone else that wishes to violate the Wire Guidelines. I recommend you read them in FAQ before proceeding further.

OLG, I hid your posts as well due to the quotes involved.

Crayfish, if you wish to discuss this or you need clarification you can PM me. As of now your questions has been answered and I am locking this thread. 

Archived