SASS Wire Forum

WWII Wehrmacht Transportation

Subdeacon Joe

Bicycles were used by European armies for nearly the entirety of the 20th century. The Swiss Army still uses them to some extent but until 2007 they had entire units mounted on bicycles. You can move man with a lot more equipment quicker on a bicycle than you can on foot.

The Germans used lots of horses all the way through WW2. Field artillery, supply, medical etc contained lots of horseflesh. I dear friend of mine was in Normandy and he said to me once he couldn't believe at how many dead horses were everywhere. 

11 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

i wish i could see how the rifle was mounted on the bicycle.  it'd come in handy hunting or fishing

Mostly slung over the shoulders, heavier firearms MG42 etc. were strapped to the crossbar. Somewhere I have pictures, if I find them, I'll post them. The Soldiers manual showed this also, how to use the bicycle and transport equipment on it . MT

Despite the Panzers and the Lightning War, the Heer relied on horse drawn artillery and wagons throughout the war for transpot and supply lines. No Red Ball Express for them. If they'd had the manufacturing capacity of the US, it would have been a different story. 

14 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

It does look like a antitank rifle and thought it looked more like a PzB39.  MT

pzb39_anti_tank_rifle_.jpg

Yup. PzB39 with the stock folded.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:54 AM, Okiepan said:

image.jpeg

Yeah... the Germans plugged their horses ears... and sometimes... shot off of 'em.  Dam... look at them horses.  They sure look... capable.  Fine animals... all.

I got several pics... would post 'em... but I quit photorbucketretards.  Don't know what else to do.

ts

1 hour ago, Tennessee Stud said:

I got several pics... would post 'em... but I quit photorbucketretards.  Don't know what else to do.

Just right click and select "Copy image" then paste it here.  Works for me, anyway.

I recall seeing a pic of Charlie Cong using bikes to haul freight down the Ho Chi Minh trail.
They were not ridden, just balanced.

Sometimes not even rubber on the rims.

1 hour ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

I recall seeing a pic of Charlie Cong using bikes to haul freight down the Ho Chi Minh trail.
They were not ridden, just balanced.

Sometimes not even rubber on the rims.

Hundreds of tons of supplies were brought down the trail on bicycles. We found over 200 of them at an NVA base when we went into Cambodia. Wasn't able to bring mine back though.

NVABike.jpg

Archived