SASS Wire Forum

"Stopping Power" Debate Settled

Subdeacon Joe

Most excellent.

Every round has its exceptions to the rule and there will be examples of the best case and worst case scenarios in all handgun data research. 

This chart, although meant somewhat tongue-in-cheek, does provide excellent guidance. :D

It's like real estate!!  It ALL depends on three things!  Location, location, and finally, LOCATION!!!!  ;)  <_<  ;)

I have heard some interesting "gun counter" conversations but Blackwater's comment reminded me of a guy that worked at B&B sales in CA. Whenever the subject of "one shot stops" came up and someone would aske "What's best of ammo 'A' or ammo 'B'?" he would say "I don't know. You can try shooting a bad guy once and do your own study". That usually stopped the direction of the conversation into Mall Ninja territory. :lol:

A one stop shot from a handgun would be MUCH more probable if said handgun was this one:

BFR.jpg

44 Magnum shot once .

Outcome = DEAD !

Just sayin

Rooster 

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Is that a BFR in 45-70?

I believe it is. 

I stole the pic from the web... not my BFR. Not that I don't want one though...

Oh, I know how this one is going to go, will throw the correct post #1 chart off the chart, so here it is.

My very first homicide I worked was a 200# fellow that was shot from around 30 yards with a 22 one shot. D.R.T. (Dead Rite There) Hollow point kinda ripped up the heart a bit and a few other internal pieces as it bounced around inside him.

My opinion is, what every you have in your hand at the time of need, will have to do the job.

----

In high school I witnessed a 64 Buick hit almost head on with a VW beetle.

One of those 50 and 60 types.

The impact was just off center and the Buick lost.

The Buick had run up and over the drive side front tire of the Beetle causing teh Buick to roll over on it's top and slide down the road.

Buick drive needed medical help.

VW people (2) got out and walked to the sidewalk and sat down and waited for the police to show up.

So the point is the same, point of impact is more important than the size of the projectile.

Then there was the NYC cop that killed a Polar Bear with one shot from his .38 Special.  It happened a number of years back when a kid fell in with the Polar bear at the NYC zoo.  Poor bear.  I don't recall if he used a hollow point or LRN.  

I don't want to get shot any where with any gun.

Some of my favorite sayings:  Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting several times.  and  Ammunition is cheap.  Life is priceless.

Angus

Then there was the story of the Alaskan Indian woman who was chased up a food platform by a Kodiak (premium-sized griz).  All she had was a Colt's Woodsman .22rf.  It was getting dark and the bear was shaking the platform something fierce.  Afraid he would knock the platform down, she pointed the Woodsman down into the darkness and fired!  There was a commotion followed by dead silence.  When morning came, she looked down to see the brown dead as a doornail!  The bullet had hit the bear in the eye and penetrated to the brain.  See?  That makes a .22rf a bear stopper, right?  :huh: :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

My opinion is, what every you have in your hand at the time of need, will have to do the job.

----

In high school I witnessed a 64 Buick hit almost head on with a VW beetle.

One of those 50 and 60 types.

The impact was just off center and the Buick lost.

The Buick had run up and over the drive side front tire of the Beetle causing teh Buick to roll over on it's top and slide down the road.

Buick drive needed medical help.

VW people (2) got out and walked to the sidewalk and sat down and waited for the police to show up.

So the point is the same, point of impact is more important than the size of the projectile.

I feel bad 'cause I'm laughing so hard at this one.  Yep, shot placement is everything in bullets and cars.

3 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

44 Magnum shot once .

Outcome = DEAD !

Just sayin

Rooster 

Don't buy into that mythology.  More have probably survived being shot with the .44 Remington magnum than have died from it!!

2 hours ago, Smoken D said:

Oh, I know how this one is going to go, will throw the correct post #1 chart off the chart, so here it is.

My very first homicide I worked was a 200# fellow that was shot from around 30 yards with a 22 one shot. D.R.T. (Dead Rite There) Hollow point kinda ripped up the heart a bit and a few other internal pieces as it bounced around inside him.

You can find quite a few instances of one-shot-stops with a .22.

You can find quite a few instances of multiple hits with a .45ACP, .44Mag, etc. with the victim surviving.   As has been said several times in several ways on this thread, 

shot placement

shot placement

shot placement.

41 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Don't buy into that mythology.  More have probably survived being shot with the .44 Remington magnum than have died from it!!

Oh, I dunno... I saw a moose shot one time with a .44 Mangle-em that died instantly.  But that was to finish the job that a .300 Weatherby DIDN'T do!  :rolleyes:

Archived