SASS Wire Forum

what do you use to cook over wood?

Trigger Mike

Right now I have a metal grate that slides down a pole by the fire to cook burgers etc on and even a skillet to sit on for eggs and such but its hard bending over a hole in the ground when you get past 40.  The TV show "Y'all Eat Yet" sells a complete set up with metal fire pit and pole for the hangers etc for 1000 which is more than I want to spend.  I'm looking for something in between yet off the ground so I don't end up leaning my head over the fire and half my body like i do now.

I used a grate similar to this and a  spit.

I'd clear an ares of grass etc, and dig a small trench a little shorter than the spit,  about 12" wide and 5 or 6 " deep.  

Dirt from the trench went along one side of it to make a kind of bench to put coals on for either skillets or dutch oven.

The post for the grill went towards one corner of the trench so I could swing it on and off the fire.  Most often it got used to set the coffee pot on to keep the coffee warm.

Kettles and such got hung at various heights depending on what was in them.

One end of the tench was pretty much strictly for feeding in wood to generate coals on which to cook, and hanging a bucket for heating wash water.

As the wood burned down into coals, the coals got moved to the middle and other end for the actual cooking.  You don't want to cook over a big flaming fire.

43 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I have that grate with the pole.  it does ok, i want a Spit like that and that is a decent price for it.  

It works very well.  I spent a couple of years cooking for the reenacting unit I was in with the rig I described.  The biggest thing is to know how to order your fire, how to keep adding fresh fuel so you have a continuing supply of coals without having a roaring fire going.

If ya know any Buck skinners, or any one who does rondezvous.............ask them, they'll know which way to point you, matter of fact, check with Dixie Gunworks!! I'll bet they'll have some thing, Track of the Wolf would be a good bet too!

Yup, I used to camp in a tipi.........

Knarley

Down here in Tennessee… we cook Carp… over wood.

Yep… it’s good, too. 

After ya catch a big’un… first thang that ya do is dress the gill-sucker out fer cookin’…

Then… ya get a platter made of wood… put the Carp up on it…. sprinkle them required Cajun and other seasonin’s all over it… and put the whole thang in a pre-heated oven… ‘bout 400°… farahfacetheight.

Cook that delicious piece of meat for ‘bout 45 minutes.

Then… you pull that fine eatable out the oven… throw out the dam fish into hog pen… and then eat the wood.  Umm… umm!  Fine eatin’…

ts

Howdy,

I have cooked with charcoal for some time.

The Char-Griller folks have some grills that can be used with charcoal

and wood to get a mixed flavor.

Some of their designs have the fire on a drawer that slides out for tending.

I bet this could be done with wood instead of charcoal.

I modified my char-griller a little and I just saw that some of my changes

are on the new ones right there a Lowes.

I sent my reworks in to the char-griller folks a couple years back....

I bet I could whip up a spit. Might make a nice little winter project.

Also  some of their designs come right apart for cleaning or repair if needed.

One of the smaller grilles is about $70.

Best

CR

16 hours ago, Tennessee Stud said:

Down here in Tennessee… we cook Carp… over wood.

Yep… it’s good, too. 

After ya catch a big’un… first thang that ya do is dress the gill-sucker out fer cookin’…

Then… ya get a platter made of wood… put the Carp up on it…. sprinkle them required Cajun and other seasonin’s all over it… and put the whole thang in a pre-heated oven… ‘bout 400°… farahfacetheight.

Cook that delicious piece of meat for ‘bout 45 minutes.

Then… you pull that fine eatable out the oven… throw out the dam fish into hog pen… and then eat the wood.  Umm… umm!  Fine eatin’…

ts

I like that.  My dad taught me a similar carp recipe that I can't always relate to people when in mixed company, so I'm stealing this one.  Dad's recipe involved balls of dirt.  But it wasn't dirt.  Bull dirt, you might say. 

5 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I like that.  My dad taught me a similar carp recipe that I can't always relate to people when in mixed company, so I'm stealing this one.  Dad's recipe involved balls of dirt.  But it wasn't dirt.  Bull dirt, you might say. 

I know the one you are recollectin'... that's the one ya tell with other men 'round the campfire.  it's a good'un, too.

ts

I usually drag that heavy black  cast iron with me , but IF cooking over wood.  Small  expanded metal grates with folding legs are available everywhere plus light and simple.      GW

Archived