SASS Wire Forum

diabetic friendly source for emergency food

Trigger Mike

Good question.   You made me do a little digging around.   There don't seem to be a lot of freeze dried full meals out there that are diabetic friendly. 

some helpful links, but do more research on what they say:

http://www.survivopedia.com/survival-foods-to-stockpile-for-diabetics/

https://rationalpreparedness.blogspot.com/2013/07/assembling-freeze-dried-and-emergency.html

https://www.defeatdiabetes.org/diabetes-disaster-kit/

My suggestion based mostly on my WAG would be to stock up on freeze dried meats and freeze dried vegetables rather than packaged meals. For example:

http://shop.honeyville.com/products/freeze-dried-food-storage/freeze-dried-meats.html

http://shop.honeyville.com/products/freeze-dried-food-storage/freeze-dried-vegetables.html

http://www.wisefoodstorage.com/60-serving-gourmet-freeze-dry-meat-supply.html

(that one also have freeze dried vegetables, freeze dried eggs, and freeze dried milk)

One more:  http://www.augasonfarms.com/Freeze-Dried-Meats   Which also has vegetarian meat substitutes, along with butter, eggs, milk, and vegetables.

Another thing to consider - WATER!  Invest in some water storage containers along with a good, high volume water purification system.    Stock up on bleach, too.  

Not a food ,per se, but it would get you by for a while, and certainly a good supplement. 2% carbohydrate, 40% protein, no added sugar. . My daughter and I love it, not so gritty as some and way better tasting. I have been drinking it for lunch the last 2 months and have lost 6 lbs also. Had to knock off the sandwiches and other items I was eating in an effort to lower my triglycerides, which my Doc says are too high. 

https://www.amazon.com/American-Natural-Superfood-Protein-Powder/dp/B072J8W93D/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1504626361&sr=8-1&keywords=american+natural+superfood+protein+powder

Warden Calloway, I've thought about the squirrel angle and have a Chiappa 22 magnum Little Badger that folds into a bag BUT if a serious hurricane hits here a lot of squirrels may be already taken out by the storm.  i live near a swamp so the places I would hunt might be flooded.  just want a plan B in case plan A fails.

7 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Warden Calloway, I've thought about the squirrel angle and have a Chiappa 22 magnum Little Badger that folds into a bag BUT if a serious hurricane hits here a lot of squirrels may be already taken out by the storm.  i live near a swamp so the places I would hunt might be flooded.  just want a plan B in case plan A fails.

There will be all manner of critters seeking higher ground. You would just have to widen your menu depending on how hungry you get.  Lewis and Clark discovered dog was mighty tasty after eating their moccasins. 

9 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

There will be all manner of critters seeking higher ground. You would just have to widen your menu depending on how hungry you get.  Lewis and Clark discovered dog was mighty tasty after eating their moccasins. 

Dog does taste good...Of course I found out I ate dog eat AFTER eating it.

The following non-traditional food or game animals taste good:

Snakes

Monkey

Frog

Muskrat

Opossum

Alligator

Henway

Ostrich

Turtle

Lizard

Seagull

Dog

Horse

I am sure there are many others but I can vouch for these.

Also, for what you are needing go with canned goods. 

Tuna

Chicken

Ham

Sardines / Kippers

Peanut Butter - as Dave mentioned

Veggies - worried about salt? Drink more water and drink the veggie juice from the can.

What about complex carbs too, like; wild rice and whole grains,?

Treat? Dark chocolate.

Just some ideas.

I always take a supply of jerky along to Boy Scout camp against the days the chow hall menu is heavy carb-loaded.

And Pat... has anyone asked yet what a henway is?  :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Dog does taste good...Of course I found out I ate dog eat AFTER eating it.

The following non-traditional food or game animals taste good:

Snakes

Monkey

Frog

Muskrat

Opossum

Alligator

Henway

Ostrich

Turtle

Lizard

Seagull

Dog

Horse

I am sure there are many others but I can vouch for these.

Also, for what you are needing go with canned goods. 

Tuna

Chicken

Ham

Sardines / Kippers

Peanut Butter - as Dave mentioned

Veggies - worried about salt? Drink more water and drink the veggie juice from the can.

What about complex carbs too, like; wild rice and whole grains,?

Treat? Dark chocolate.

Just some ideas.

What?

Huh?

Wha....

I just hope I am never hungry enough to have to eat my 22 lb cat. ( Right Alllie Moe?)  Although he might be a feast!

If'n the US gets to that point ( thanks obama) I'll just, well, never mind... it ain't gonna be purdy....

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

What?

Huh?

Wha....

I just hope I am never hungry enough to have to eat my 22 lb cat. ( Right Alllie Moe?)  Although he might be a feast!

If'n the US gets to that point ( thanks obama) I'll just, well, never mind... it ain't gonna be purdy....

Yeah,  in the last 100-150 years we've went from a society that was substantial small farm and therefore self sufficient (now they call it off the grid) to where a vast majority of the population is dependent on industrial farming and supply chain bringing everything to the mass urban centers.  Break the supply chain and panic will set in within hours.  Stores will be cleaned out.  Then looting.  Then... 

Water..   If you are dependent on public utilities,  drinking water will run out before your bread molds.  If you have any warning,  you can fill up containers for drinking.  Fill up tub for other uses - like flushing a stool. 

Warden

We as  a society, a fully industrialized, first world, advanced, modern society have lost touch in many ways with how good we "have it". You are correct, clean drinking water is something we take for granted. There are many places in the world that will not have clean drinking water for another 50 to 100 years if ever. The water in our toilets is cleaner than drinking water available in many places. 

But back to the OP's question...

I have found at least one decent organic fruit bar that is fairly low in sugar. I'll try to locate that and post the name. Also, the EPIC brand protein bars are great sources of a healthy snack that are pretty taste w/o any high carb and sugar content.

There are a number of ways to preserve eggs for long-term storage.  Sealing them in water glass is one.  I think the key is to get eggs that have not been washed.   Washing the eggs actually remove a natural coating that preserve them. 

https://www.lehmans.com/product/water-glass-liquid-sodium-silicate/

Nuts are also a great source of low sugar, low carbohydrate protein. Although high in natural fats, their benefit is they fight your bad cholesterol levels.

I am not diabetic. Yet. I can feel my blood sugar levels dropping and have to head that off. It's especially bad if I don't eat enough protein for breakfast. Always on my gun cart at every match I will have mixed nuts, organic energy bars, and beef jerky. Nibbling on the high protein foods as well as drinking enough water keeps blood sugar levels and energy levels perfectly regulated.

7 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

What?

Huh?

Wha....

Nope...nothing that pees ammonia could be good to eat, I'm sure. :D

I will try pretty much any meat but most of the ones on my list were not harvested by me. Also, when I was in the Navy traveling around the world I tried different meats that are outside the American norm.

Also, I grew up "country" so we ate things most wouldn't like muskrat, 'possum and turtle, to name a couple. Not often,  but every great once in a while. Snapping turtle stew is great!

Years ago I had the opportunity to eat some Southern Louisiana dish that had turtle feet in it. I just couldn't quite get past the idea that there were turtle feet floating in the stew or soup or whatever it was. Little baby octopuses in it as well. The whole thing struck me as odd. I ate corn bread instead.

Now, when human beings get hungry enough they will eat anything. I hope I never get to the point of starvation when turtle feet, or mountain oysters, or cats and dogs appeal to me. I'm pretty sure if it gets to that point we as a nation are going to have bigger problems than what to watch on Netflix that evening.

I have eaten crawfish, alligator, and some interesting Chinese cuisine that I can't begin to pronounce. It was just okay. I'd prefer my meat be called beef and comes from a real cow. Occasional seafood is okay as long as it doesn't have tentacles and is fresh. My cardiologist advocates chicken and I certainly don't disagree as chicken, when fried correctly is quite yummy.

:D

we don't have monkeys around here though my children may act like monkeys from time to time, but I'm hoping not to have to eat them to survive, kinda defeats the purpose.  Mama's too sour to eat and I'm too tough to eat (plus no one can catch me) .  I ate horse in spain once but we don't have horses.  we have 3 dogs though so maybe them if we run out of chickens .  

i also need to figure out how to protect them, last year they refused to go into their coop and they broke the door to the laying boxes so i guess we will have to see.  

Archived