SASS Wire Forum

Thank you to the Sand Creek Raiders / First Match Report

Roger Ball

I'd like to offer an overdue THANK YOU to the awesome members of the Sand Creek Raiders for hosting myself and my wife for their 8/27 monthly match! Everyone we met, especially our fellow members on Posse One, were incredibly welcoming and generous to us rambling passers-by. We loved meeting everyone and sharing fun banter. The props and stage designs were fun, and the range was top-tier. But, those are nothing without the people. It was my wife's first match, and she has heard me talk plenty about the fantastic community our game has. Well, your club proved no exception, and was a great place for her to shoot for the first time. Again, we are very thankful to the new friends we made that day, and hope to see some of you again down the trail. Thank you!

More detail, for those inclined:

My wife and I were passing through the central Colorado area that weekend as part of a cross-country move to San Diego, and after looking up local clubs on the SASS homepage, I found out the SCR would be shooting that Sunday. I emailed their contact, Sweetwater Bill, notifying him that we would be in the area and requesting to join the party, and he quickly responded with the generosity this community is known for- not only were we welcome to join, but there would be guns and ammo available should we need it. Well, I had my guns and ammo in the car, but we did need to borrow a cart, which the club was happy to provide. As Sweetwater Bill pulled up on match day, he instantly noticed our out-of-place sedan with Florida plates, and stopped to say hello. Noting that we intended to share leather, he offered his own personal stash for my wife to pick from, and she happily found something that fit her. During the match, plenty of pards offered advice to my wife as a new shooter, all very polite and relevant, and offered words of encouragement to calm the nerves before a stage. Nobody was the least bit overbearing or rude. Folks were quick to take a spotting stick from me so I could help my wife load up, and generous with praise for how well she was doing. After the stages, everyone helped tear down, and the work was done in seconds. Once we were all through, my wife went to return the leather to Sweetwater Bill, and he answered with the biggest surprise of the day- 'keep it!' It was such a generous offering, especially since the belt and holsters were his own hand-tooled production. It can be extremely tough to let something like that go, especially to someone just met, who might never pass through again. That generosity and example of the Cowboy Way is not lost on us! So, thanks again.

As for some other details on my wife's first match:

Simply put, she did a great job! Pardon the bragging, but I'm proud. :wub: I've only been shooting CAS about 1.5 years, so I haven't seen too many new shooters, but I am very proud of this one. She's currently going by LT Hot Rock (105888), as a nod to the stone they worshiped during her tour on a submarine (i.e., the reactor core). I was lucky enough to get her to spend a day of our road trip shooting, let alone get up early, drive just over an hour in the wrong direction (east), and head out to a field in the middle of nowhere. But, once we were there, I thought I was safe with getting her to stay- and then we walked up to the first stage. There was not one, but TWO Texas Stars! I thought I was going to have to hide the car keys! What a tough stage for an experienced shooter, let alone someone shooting her very first stage! Well, LT had little issue with it, and survived the stage, clean. If that's not a way to build confidence, I don't know what is! She had very few issues with the guns all day, even though she was a first-time handler of each type of firearm. She wasn't doing the typical lean-away from the long guns, nor did she have any trouble learning to use her weak-hand thumb to work the pistol hammer. Our shotgun kept jumping open between shots, but it did that to me too a couple of times, so I don't think it was her fault. After it happened once, she was able to recognize it, and with a quick pointer from the TO, was able to quickly remedy the situation thereafter. She's a quick learner and was probably motivated most by the desire to get me to shut up about loading and handling instructions :lol:. Another stage called for at least six shotgun rounds, and had a giant clay pigeon version of the Texas Star, with one shot required to release a weight and make it spin. I don't know what they call that device, but it was even bigger, faster, and harder, and she finished it in eight shots. She stayed clean through the first three stages, and only recorded three total misses on two of the remaining stages. I'd say three misses and no P's is a pretty dang good first match! One of the most rewarding moments was when a fellow shooter asked how long she'd been shooting, and she could proudly reply that was her first time doing CAS! Shooting well was quite a reward for her, but as we know, 'come for the shooting, stay for the people' is the adage. It was the experiences I mentioned above- the awesome folks, fun conversation, respectful and useful tips, nonstop support and encouragement, etc, that made the day for her. And, she will always have a holster rig for us both to remember her first match, Sweetwater Bill, and the Sand Creek Raiders!

If you're still reading, thanks. I thought about submitting a blog of our cowboy experiences on our road trip to the Chronicle, as they seem to encourage submissions, but I realized I likely don't have enough pictures...oops. Maybe I'll share a bit in the saloon- visiting Longhunter's shop in Amarillo, riding horseback along the Palo Duro Canyon listening to tales of old Comanche raids, Colorado mining towns, watching leather tooling and western hat shopping in Williams, AZ- it was a good trip.

Wow!

Really enjoyed reading this and glad to hear your wife's first sortie into CAS was such a great experience for her.  One of the many great things about CAS is how well it can be shared and enjoyed by couples and families.  With you being a Navy Pilot and your wife a submariner, perhaps CAS will help you both get over your aversion to dry, solid, ground. :lol:

We all missed you at the Va State match this weekend. :(  Our newest shooting family; Kid Doster, Jawbreaker, and Sharp Shooting Cassie were there and they really enjoyed the experience.  Their 14yr old daughter even got to shoot in her first Top Gun Shootoff.

It would be great if you would send a copy of your post to Missouri Marshal to forward on to the family, there a many that would enjoy reading it that will not find it here.

btw;  with your wife doing so well at her very first shoot, you might want to be keeping an eye out for that dress you'll sporting at some upcoming match. ;) :lol:

It is really nice to here from you Mr. Chantilly and that your wife finally shot her first match is awesome. You will be missed around here. Being a relatively new shooter yourself, this trip allows  you to see how wonderful the SASS family really is and what endeared it to me so fast. California has more CAS shooters than any other state in the U.S. and it looks like they are going to acquire another good one, and from what I read, about to acquire two. 

Your Pard: Major BS Walker

Howdy Chantilly,

Great post.  Sorry I missed your last match at Pungo before you transferred.   We'll miss you.    Sure wish Lt Hot Rock could have shot her first match with us.  I would have loved to meet her.  Please stay in contact with your FIRST Cowboy Family here in Virginia.  I hope you still have my email address.  From my Navy side, Fair Winds and Following Seas  my friend.  Happy Trails.

Missouri Marshal

Cody, BS, and Missouri Marshal- That's great news about Kid Doster, Jawbreaker, and Sharp Shooting Cassie! They have been progressing quickly and it's good to hear that's continuing. And yes, the thought of wearing that dress has already occurred to me- I don't know that I'll be taking that bet any time soon! :lol: But, we're very much looking forward to shooting in CA. I've looked up a couple of the clubs and moved out my CAS gear ahead of the rest of my stuff- priorities, right?!

And yes, the central/SE Virginia group will always be my first CAS family. I hope to keep up with everyone. What a great tool the Wire is, that we are able to stay in touch and talk shooting so easily! Speaking of the VA crowd, I noticed something strange at the match in CO...nobody heckled me all day. Boy, did that throw me off!!! I kept looking for Potter to pretend to mess with resetting my targets, listening for Stogie to provide mis-direction as I stepped to the line, and expecting to hear Filthy Five sing Chantilly Lace, but instead everything was quiet and normal. They must have just been nice to the new folks!

Glad to hear your getting there and having fun on the way. I see another set of guns in your future. When she beats you send us pictures of you in the female Navy dress uniform.

Hey, I was just trying to help. You know, the old slow guys helping the newer fast as stink guys. Just little tidbits of info that you really should think about after the beep. You can now forget every piece of advise I gave you. Seriously it was great shooting with you and I hope you both can join us again.

Archived