SASS Wire Forum

So, who all uses the 1887?

Tennessee williams

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have 2 of Cap's 87's and love the ding things. Use them more for reenacting than SASS

When it comes shooting time I still bring out my single trigger Fox double

At today's match I discovered that IAC 87s and Nobel Sport Low Recoil shells do not play well together.  The gun did not hang up completely, but it was very difficult to open after each shot.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

• 3 weeks later...

I'll share my experiences thus far with my 1887 and the extraction issues I was experiencing with it.    The '87 would not extract about every other time from the chamber if I used Federal Field & Target loads (3 dram eq., 1 1/8 oz shot, #7 1/12) , and these shells had steel bases.  I was advised to use shells with brass bases (specifically, AA) but I could not find any Winchester field loads at my LGS, so I bought a box of Browning BPT light target loads with brass bases (2 1/2 dram eq., 1 1/8 oz shot, #8) and tried those.   About every third shell still failed to extract, and after I got home, I had the idea to try a magnet on the bases of these shells.  Surprise, surprise - they were brass-colored steel!  Finally last week, I got my shot shell reloading press set up, and I loaded some Federal Gold Medal hulls that had come with the press and which I confirmed had brass bases.   I tried 28 of these reloads yesterday... not a single issue.  All of them extracted properly, w00h00. 

Moral of the story:  stick with brass-base shotgun shells in the 1887. 

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

I'll share my experiences thus far with my 1887 and the extraction issues I was experiencing with it.    The '87 would not extract about every other time from the chamber if I used Federal Field & Target loads (3 dram eq., 1 1/8 oz shot, #7 1/12) , and these shells had steel bases.  I was advised to use shells with brass bases (specifically, AA) but I could not find any Winchester field loads at my LGS, so I bought a box of Browning BPT light target loads with brass bases (2 1/2 dram eq., 1 1/8 oz shot, #8) and tried those.   About every third shell still failed to extract, and after I got home, I had the idea to try a magnet on the bases of these shells.  Surprise, surprise - they were brass-colored steel!  Finally last week, I got my shot shell reloading press set up, and I loaded some Federal Gold Medal hulls that had come with the press and which I confirmed had brass bases.   I tried 28 of these reloads yesterday... not a single issue.  All of them extracted properly, w00h00. 

Moral of the story:  stick with brass-base shotgun shells in the 1887. 

I figured that would fix the problem. If it had been a timing issue, I doubt it would have cycled your dummy rds either. That was a lot cheaper than sending it to the shop for repair too!

18 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

So, what kind of times are people running 4 or 6 in?

Howdy Tennessee.

Slater doesn't get on the SASS Wire often and you are already aware he is good and fast with his 87's.

Although Slater and I don't normally go out and time our SG speeds, our times are close, assuming we have a good run.

Anyhow, I think Slater is probably sub 4 for 4 and sub 5 for 6.   This would be a time if started from a port arms position with both hands on SG.  More exact, my guess is that he is 3.6 or 3.7 for 4 and probably 4.9 for 6.

He just won the Lead Mine ShootOut with about 114 shooters and he used his 87 and Marlin.  Go figure!

Times vary depending upon starting positions and SG staging positions.   Even the table height can effect pickup smoothness and times.

If ya get a chance, give me a call sometime this week.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Howdy Tennessee.

Slater doesn't get on the SASS Wire often and you are already aware he is good and fast with his 87's.

Although Slater and I don't normally go out and time our SG speeds, our times are close, assuming we have a good run.

Anyhow, I think Slater is probably sub 4 for 4 and sub 5 for 6.   This would be a time if started from a port arms position with both hands on SG.  More exact, my guess is that he is 3.6 or 3.7 for 4 and probably 4.9 for 6.

He just won the Lead Mine ShootOut with about 114 shooters and he used his 87 and Marlin.  Go figure!

Times vary depending upon starting positions and SG staging positions.   Even the table height can effect pickup smoothness and times.

..........Widder

He's a Jedi and the Force was with him Saturday 

Randy

I have an IAC 87. Bone stock. Have been using it for about 5-6 years. Love it. Load similar to PWB.

When I first got it I tried using the bulk shells from wally world. would not extract.  Switched to AA's and have not had a problem, except that at the Maine states

the pin in the lever fell out on my last shot of the match. Single Action In Gray Maine put it back together for me.

On 9/25/2017 at 10:49 AM, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Howdy Tennessee.

..........Widder

He smokes them, that's for sure! In addition to SG staging and table height, the mood your 87 is in can affect times too. I'm hoping I can run mine fast enough that he atleast knows I'm behind him!

By the way. I know your shotgun is Enchantress. Well you may not know it, but mine is named Sally. Thats after Sally Struthers. Cause she has a big appetite and I just cant seem to feed her fast enough!

21 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

TN.,

I honestly thought you would name your 87...... 'Chevelle'

..........Widder

I couldn't do that; that's one of my rifles because Ive got so much in it. The other ones name is shaneka. Shes not pretty and I dont like to take her out in front of my friends but she gets the job done!

17 hours ago, Dirt Merchant # 61422 said:

Sue Render is as good as any shooter outside of Lassiter I have ever seen withan 87, woman rocks it!!

And...she is much prettier than Lassiter and Slater

:D

..........Widder

Archived