SASS Wire Forum

So, who all uses the 1887?

Tennessee williams

I was cleaning my 87 today and got to wondering how many people use them. Ive never shot with him, but I use a Lassiter worked Chiappa and he is mighty fast with one. A couple guys from my neck of the woods that run the snot out of them are Slater and Big six Henderson. Slater has helped me out a bit with mine and is a good mechanic on them hisownself.

Most everybody I see loads all four rounds with their dominant hand. Sometimes I'll split mine up between hands depending on the stage. Whats your favorite way to load it?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use an unmodified original.

Pull two; push lifter down with the first one; second round into the chamber...close lever...FIRE...lever/FIRE...open & repeat as necessary.

I pull two with the right hand regardless of what type shotgun I'm using (shooting right handed as well).

Left hand doesn't know how to manipulate SG ammo.

:ph34r:

EDITED

Been using one since 2001. Now have three originals (1888, 1891 and 1897 manufacture) and a Coyote Cap. Prefer the 1891 made original.

(And I don't need a 10ga 1901! :lol:)

Been loading the opposite of PWB (lifter then chamber) but will try his method. (<<Load the same as PWB!)

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Been using one since 2001. Now have three originals (1888, 1891 and 1897 manufacture) and a Coyote Cap. Prefer the 1891 made original.

(And I don't need a 10ga 1901! :lol:)

Been loading the opposite of PWB (lifter then chamber) but will try his method.

"Upon further reflection"...the action is done almost simultaneously, so I MIGHT be loading the second one into the chamber instead...whichever way is most efficient (will have to get some dummy rounds & the '87 out to verify).

Remembery is slightly off-kilter this evening.

;)

EDITED original reply...verified: one down on the lifter, THEN one in the chamber...hard to chamber the first one with the lifter UP!

^_^

FWIW - I always push the lifter down at the last opportunity to do so before loading, e.g. when placed on a prop or, if port arms, just before I assume the position. For me, this makes loading the first one on the lifter a smoother operation.

Side note: One club I shoot with allows stoking the shotgun. Slow as molasses with the 87 but the enjoyment is well worth it.  I usually do this for six knockdowns or if I am having a bad match and need something to cheer me up. I just tell the spotters beforehand so they can take a break if they want.

20 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

FWIW - I always push the lifter down at the last opportunity to do so before loading, e.g. when placed on a prop or, if port arms, just before I assume the position. For me, this makes loading the first one on the lifter a smoother operation.

Same here for the first two...now that you got me thinking about it!

;)

1887 BP.jpg

I have a love/total consternation relationship with my '87. Some days is good,  some days ain't. Still fun though. Of late I primarily shoot my hammered double and use the '87 for a back up or for every one else's total amusement.

I load by pulling two with right hand and fumbling them down into the hole thingy where the shells go. If all goes well, lever bang lever bang repeat. If all goes south, I simply drop the offending shells and pull two more trying again. Like I said,  some times I actually look like I know what I'm doing, other days folks wunder if'n I am trying my best to purposely add 20 seconds to an otherwise well shot stage. 

My '87 is the only firearm I own that has a name but forum rules prohibit me from using that kind of language here. 

;)

Love my 87. Used to have 2, both done by Lassiter but I sold one. Cowboy I sold it to said he will sell it back to me this fall. You can do more with an 87 than with other shotguns. If you shoot a double and you shoot one and have to move you have to open it so you are not moving with a closed, loaded shotgun. With an 87 just shoot one, move you are all good. You can either open it and move or move with it closed on an expended round.

kR

I have an unmodified original that was gone over by Coyote Cap to fix some worn out problems to make sure it would work properly and was in good shooting condition.

Shooting lefthanded, I open the lever and then use my left hand to grab 2 shells, push down the lifter drop one and insert one into the chamber.

BOOM BOOM

Repeat as necessary.

13 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

I use an unmodified original.

Pull two; push lifter down with the first one; second round into the chamber...close lever...FIRE...lever/FIRE...open & repeat as necessary.

I pull two with the right hand regardless of what type shotgun I'm using (shooting right handed as well).

Left hand doesn't know how to manipulate SG ammo.

:ph34r:

EDITED

11 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

"Upon further reflection"...the action is done almost simultaneously, so I MIGHT be loading the second one into the chamber instead...whichever way is most efficient (will have to get some dummy rounds & the '87 out to verify).

Remembery is slightly off-kilter this evening.

;)

EDITED original reply...verified: one down on the lifter, THEN one in the chamber...hard to chamber the first one with the lifter UP!

^_^

I love my original Winchester '87, although it is a mite heavy. I mostly use it for the Plainsman side match. I load like PWB :wub: ;)

Here is my favorite photo, taken by Black Jack McGuiness, at the only EOT I ever attended, in 2006. I was still recovering from hand surgery and could not pump my '97 so I shot smokeless, very light loads, in the '87. I also had trouble moving my wrist, so I levered with my thumb. Where there is a will, there is a way. :lol:

AM With 87 at EOT 2006.jpg

5 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

Love my 87. Used to have 2, both done by Lassiter but I sold one. Cowboy I sold it to said he will sell it back to me this fall. You can do more with an 87 than with other shotguns. If you shoot a double and you shoot one and have to move you have to open it so you are not moving with a closed, loaded shotgun. With an 87 just shoot one, move you are all good. You can either open it and move or move with it closed on an expended round.

kR

I haven't thought about splitting the rounds that way! Good idea. If the need arises, and I can remember not to close it I'll try that. One thing I like to do if I have to move to my left to pick the shotgun up is pick it up with my right hand and load with the left, then load with the right on the next two. Just keeps me from having to travel all the way around it.

3 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I love my original Winchester '87, although it is a mite heavy. I mostly use it for the Plainsman side match. I load like PWB :wub: ;)

Here is my favorite photo, taken by Black Jack McGuiness, at the only EOT I ever attended, in 2006. I was still recovering from hand surgery and could not pump my '97 so I shot smokeless, very light loads, in the '87. I also had trouble moving my wrist, so I levered with my thumb. Where there is a will, there is a way. :lol:

AM With 87 at EOT 2006.jpg

Nice photo! I love seeing those 87s in action!

I shoot an 87 "Chichester" as does my husband.  Been shooting it for several years and I LOVE MY SHOTGUN.  Mine was one of the supposed rejects from back when they were imported for Coyote Cap.  My husband did the work on mine and his as well.  I shoot Classic Cowgirl and wanted this shotgun over the only other option of a hammered double.

All my wife :wub: and I use are '87's.

Hers is a Coyote Cap 18" bbl'd 'race-gun' that 'Cap' set up just for her. Mine is a 20" IAC that I reworked to mimic Cap's mods.

We load 2 with the strong hand. When we can, they are fun to run 'stoked' with 6 rnds.

OLG

I've been shooting 87 last 13-14 years. I shoot from the hip due to shoulder problems, operate lever by pulling on lower lever ring and firing with my thumb.

Load with either hand as timing and ammo needs require. Some times when the moon and stars line up, things go fast,, other times train jumps the track.

Have a Coyote Cap Special, another IAC, a Chiappa, and an original.

Slow or fast a 87 is COOL!

Numa

I mainly shoot my Chiappa 1887 with a Lassiter Action Job.  It works great as long as I remember to lube the firing pin before I shoot it.  Here is a video of me shooting it this past weekend at Ambush at the Caverns Cove: 

DSCN0883

I also have my IAC 1887 that I "Steampunked" by having it Cerakoted, the front grips hydro-dipped, and a custom butt cover added.

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/Rolan_Kraps/media/Shotgun/Steampunk 1887 Finished/DSCN4562.jpg.html?sort=4&o=9

Pictures:

Rolan Kraps

Round in the air

Rolan Kraps '87

2 hours ago, Rolan Kraps, SASS # 24084 Life said:

I mainly shoot my Chiappa 1887 with a Lassiter Action Job.  It works great as long as I remember to lube the firing pin before I shoot it.  Here is a video of me shooting it this past weekend at Ambush at the Caverns Cove: 

DSCN0883

I also have my IAC 1887 that I "Steampunked" by having it Cerakoted, the front grips hydro-dipped, and a custom butt cover added.

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/Rolan_Kraps/media/Shotgun/Steampunk 1887 Finished/DSCN4562.jpg.html?sort=4&o=9

Pictures:

Rolan Kraps

Round in the air

Rolan Kraps '87

Rolan, that's a pretty shotgun. Bring it to Wartrace for me to fondle at the State match.

6 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

With all this talk of clubs for different ways of shooting, maybe we need an 87 club... 

I will have my 87 at Wartrace!

I had an Chinese made one years ago that I bought so my Winchester made in '92 wouldn't be over worked. Had it for about 6 months. Have shot my original off and on now for about 10 years. Haven't found a Repo that I like better. 

Its not legal but fun in monthly WB.  Never have figured out how to run a pump:P

An 87 in WB would be fun.

Just sayin.

Oops, wrong thread. 

^_^

I've had my Coyote Cap 87 for about 6 years.  I'm not real good with it, but then I'm not fast anyhow.  My hope some day is to be at least half as fast as Two Dot!

However, I do like the additional "style" points!  Posse members also appreciate the entertainment factor.

I occasionally use an 87, mostly from the hip.  I grab two shells like you would hold a flask, top shell in the web of my off hand.  Second shell between the joints of my thumb and fore finger.  I bring that hand straight down to the receiver where my fingers go down one side and my thumb goes down the other leaving the shells inside, then slide my hand forward for an overhand grip on the fore end.  I hold the gun with my trigger hand in the lever with just enough upward pressure to keep the carrier from dropping too low.

When it works it can be a thing of beauty.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

I shoot a coyote cap special.  I load with my off hand because that was how I loaded the double.  I played around with loading with the right hand and I think it might be better, but I keep forgetting when it's match time. 

I drop 2 at the same time and push down the lever either with my finger or the bottom shell (I can't remember right now), then use my thumb to rock the top shell into the chamber as my hand comes back up. 

Archived