SASS Wire Forum

Dropped pistol clarification please - answered, thanks

Yusta B.

Definition:

Firing line – From first firearm placed on the loading table until all firearms are confirmed as cleared at the unloading table.

Penalty Rule: - STAGE DISQUALIFICATION

Any dropped unloaded firearm on the firing line (from the loading table to the unloading table).

So, if a pistol is dropped(missed holster) after all guns are cleared at ULT and no one is swept, is this a no-call ? 

Yes.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

37 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

Definition:

Firing line – From first firearm placed on the loading table until all firearms are confirmed as cleared at the unloading table.

Penalty Rule: - STAGE DISQUALIFICATION

Any dropped unloaded firearm on the firing line (from the loading table to the unloading table).

So, if a pistol is dropped(missed holster) after all guns are cleared at ULT and no one is swept, is this a no-call ? 

YES.

21. Any unloaded firearm dropped during a stage will result in Stage Disqualification.  Dropped unloaded firearms away from the line will be a no call

RO1 V.21.6 p.19

That's why ya clear yer long guns first. :D

And could be why some folks I've seen clear one pistol, lay it on the table, then clear the other before holstering either.

Grizz, who has gotten a MDQ at the loading table...

1 hour ago, Grizzly Dave said:

And could be why some folks I've seen clear one pistol, lay it on the table, then clear the other before holstering either.

That would be a very wise thing to do.

2 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

been doing this for years since I was taught it in my RO class

cheyenne

5 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

been doing this for years since I was taught it in my RO class

cheyenne

Yep - since my son showed up at the LT in one shoot with two pistols full of brass, he now shows clear at the ULT, then puts each firearm back down on the table , then picks each one up & self clears it before holstering or leaving.

4 hours ago, Bittertrigger said:

This just maybe me but when I get to the un-loading table I always self clean my guns before I show them to ULT officer

in my way of thinking the guns get checked twice that way

You probably don't want to do this.  Sooner or later the ULT will start thinking - "Was he checking his guns for a shell or live round left in them before he let ME look at them?" Could make for some hard feelings.  And it makes the ULT officer wait even longer to do his job.

Follow the way that every one else does it, and check your guns with the ULT officer looking over your shoulder.

Good luck, GJ

4 hours ago, Bittertrigger said:

This just maybe me but when I get to the un-loading table I always self clean my guns before I show them to ULT officer

in my way of thinking the guns get checked twice that way

1 minute ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

You probably don't want to do this.  Sooner or later the ULT will start thinking - "Was he checking his guns for a shell or live round left in them before he let ME look at them?" Could make for some hard feelings.  And it makes the ULT officer wait even longer to do his job.

Follow the way that every one else does it, and check your guns with the ULT officer looking over your shoulder.

Good luck, GJ

But, but, that is how I do it too. The way I hold my pistols to unload, only I can see the cylinder openings. It would be awkward for me to hold them in another manner. After all of the shells are out, I turn the pistol toward the ULTO and slowly spin the cylinder so he/she can see empty. All of the brass is on the table. If there is a live one, it is clearly visible.

I thought that was how everyone showed clear. :unsure:

Regards,

Allie

Major reason that the ULT officer needs to see the revolvers cleared - if there is a possibility of a live round left under hammer in a revolver from which less than five rounds were fired.  If under hammer, it's a SDQ.  If not under hammer, a round not fired.  Once a shooter turns the cylinder to start clearing a revolver, that "position evidence" is gone.

Second reason to watch from the beginning - if there was a round left in a long gun.   Live round or empty found?   If just an empty, was it cleared before or after the gun (which must have been the last gun fired) was first laid on the table?    Again, different penalties are awarded depending upon what is found.  It's less savory to have to depend upon the shooter's declaration, but if the shooter does their own clearing, that is the only "evidence" that remains.

Good luck, GJ

Hi Joe (and others),

I was just referring to the revolver. However, levering the rifle or '87 or pumping the rifle or '97 or showing the double clear is subject to the same rule at the ULT. However only showing the double as clear equates to looking into the gun.

The following is from the ROI and the duties of the ULTO, "At the Unloading Table, competitors shall unload each of their firearms, and the Unloading Officer must visually inspect all chambers to make sure they are empty. Rifles and shotguns are cycled to verify their magazines are empty." There is nothing about inspecting the gun before unloading.

Under the duties for the TO is the following statement. "Any firearms with unfired rounds remaining should be cleared while still on the stage, if possible." In a perfect world, the TO and spotters, if paying attention, which is an expectation, would notice that a round was not fired based on the round count.

The following is from the ROI Glossary.

"Stage aka "the line" – synonymous with "Course of Fire" from the beep of the timer once the shooter has signified "ready" to the last shot fired.

Also refers to those location(s) from which the shooter actively engages targets."

As you say, it may be needed for the LTO to see into the cylinder of a revolver, to assess a penalty. However, it is not required in the LTO job description, nor is it required of the shooter to show the cylinder before showing clear.

Regards,

Allie

The way I was told it works if thr ulto clears both revolvers and both long guns and the shoot goes to holster the last revolver and misses the holster and the gun hits the ground it's a no call now if the ulto hasn't clear all the guns the it's a sdq iirc

5 minutes ago, Blackey Cole said:

The way I was told it works if thr ulto clears both revolvers and both long guns and the shoot goes to holster the last revolver and misses the holster and the gun hits the ground it's a no call now if the ulto hasn't clear all the guns the it's a sdq iirc

Provided it doesn't sweep someone.

Archived