SASS Wire Forum

!#%$^&(@! RUGERS GRRRRR

Slowhand Bob, 24229

On 9/3/2017 at 5:34 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The guy in the video that Augustus posted is a bit messy but it;s a good video for the directions and examples.

Now,

Below is my hammer / main spring tool. I got a 1/4" Inner Diameter aluminum tube from Ace Hardware. I use the tube to compress the spring onto the hammer strut. The strut is cinched into a vise. The spring is placed on the strut and then compressed with the tube WITH THE LITTLE DOO-HICKEY BETWEEN THE TUBE AND THE BOTTOM OF THE SPRING. The slots in the tube are to install a small brad or nail in the hole in the strut...they are also there so that you can see the hole as you compress the spring. At the end of the split end of the tool you can see I narrowed the tool a bit. That is so that it fit better into the little doo-hickey that goes on the strut below the spring that holds it in the grip frame. This tool will also work on a few different firearms.

I wish I could show you photos of how I use this but I have never been able to use the tool and take photos at the same time. I only have 2 hands...I am sure you understand. ;)

1E64445E-8144-4E09-9ABA-7ECB80C1F03B.JPG

IMG_0154.JPGIMG_0155.JPGIMG_0156.JPG

I just clamp it in a vise and use a sturdy fork to compress the spring.  Works great as long the the wife isn't watching.

The big problem was dealing with install of the trigger pin while trying to depress the gate/bolt spring.  Simple fix was a slave pin from other side, as mentioned earlier, duuuh.  With all said and done I strongly feel that between the two guns there are likely 2 to 4 of the tiny springs (bolt and pawl) that are damaged (though in place) and a couple of screw heads suffered as frustration took over.  With all said, both guns now function very well BUT it is irritating knowing that they are still not right.

Why Mr TOLG, that do be the perfect tool for that job and I appreciate the heads up.  Just in case there is still anyone following this thread, perhaps yall might recommend anything anything else that might make the life of a NMRV owner a bit easier.  I will be ordering a few spare parts for pair of guns also.  Now as to the Dremel tool, where might I get a really powerful one at a good price?  I am trying to get my nerve up for that grip frame fitting job yall told me I could handle a few months back.  ;)

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Seriously OLG? No way. Ya just need a small punch, see. Then ya get everything lined up and compress the spring as you force the pin through all the little openings it needs to travel through and BAM! It's in...but it's backwards so you disassemble it all and start over with the pin in the right direction. ;)

It truly helps to brush up your your cussing or you can do like I do and just practice while you work. Oh, and you have to hold your mouth just right as well as understand that pain in your index finger will eventually go away.  :lol:

But once it's done you can stand tall and proud...

Dang I wish I had known about that gadget. Thanks Lumpy! :D;)

One trick I used before acquiring the correct tools was to insert the pin/punch through the spring then twist the spring around the strut and applying more pressure until the spring is fully retained by the pin.  The other problem just requires you to hold your mouth just right to line everything up. If you think the Sara is bad Tri a ruger mark II everything does two or more functions it took me days to get it back together after upgrading a series of parts.  Also found if you get the tool for it it makes like so much better.  If ruger would go out and sell these third party tools for their guns it would make life easier but they rather you send it back to have everything set back to factory specs.  Or take your gun to a gunsmith just make sure you have all the parts so all they need to do is strip it down a put it back the correct way.

I've always had a fascination with all things mechanical.  I look at something and not just see it for what it is or what it does but have to understand how it works and how it's made.  Many times my curiosity overwhelms me and I have to take it apart. I am especially attracted to guns.  One opinion I came to many years ago was that I didn't like guns that were pinned together and especially ones where pins were holding springs under pressure.  And above all,  guns that were pinned together with springs under pressure and performed multiple functions.  Seems like these guns were the least cost and lowest quality. 

It's kinda like the first time you take a Rochester carburetor apart and wonder where those little balls came from!

17 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

It's kinda like the first time you take a Rochester carburetor apart and wonder where those little balls came from!

Rochester ? - I'm still tryin to get my Model A Zenith updraft back together ! :o:P:wacko:

Now that you have the NMV figured out it's time to start on the lightining pump gun or maybe you should have started with this one and the NMV would be a breeze.

The first time is a learning experience but it gets easier every time. Once you learn the tricks and improvise some tools (from small adj wrenches, wood, or steel like the one mentioned) to make it easier it's a piece of cake.  Chocolate cake with Butter cream icing...........sprinkles added for winners only...........lol 

OLG-I checked the link on Amazon for the book and there is an incredible price variance. Any thoughts why the price would vary over $100 for the book?

Thanks!

GL

52 minutes ago, General Ledger said:

OLG-I checked the link on Amazon for the book and there is an incredible price variance. Any thoughts why the price would vary over $100 for the book?

Thanks!

GL

My SWAG is newer editions with updates.

He put out dozens of different gunsmithing books, over the years.

Bought mine from Brownells, many, many years ago.

OLG

2 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Rochester ? - I'm still tryin to get my Model A Zenith updraft back together ! :o:P:wacko:

That I have actually done successfully a couple times:P

1 hour ago, General Ledger said:

Thanks!

GL

You have to be careful with Amazon sometimes. I just bought a book on Flintlocks by Eric Bye ( excellent book ) from NMLRA for $30 which is list price. Amazon starts at $194 and goes to $599 for a paperback no less. Saw round balls on Jet.com at $200+ for 20, said lead, but thinkin' gold:P

Its definitely a pain in the rear end. First time took me nearly a day and I even bent the lower plunger to where it isn't usable. Had to get another from a nearby shooter.

Thing is, once you understand how to do it, the chore will become much quicker. I can get mine apart in 2-3 minutes and back together in a little over 10 if things go smoothly.

Brownells has a tool that can help you reset the hammer spring if you ever need to do it again. It definitely helps if you ever forget to pin the spring to the strut.

14 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

Why Mr TOLG, that do be the perfect tool for that job and I appreciate the heads up.  Just in case there is still anyone following this thread, perhaps yall might recommend anything anything else that might make the life of a NMRV owner a bit easier.  I will be ordering a few spare parts for pair of guns also.  Now as to the Dremel tool, where might I get a really powerful one at a good price?  I am trying to get my nerve up for that grip frame fitting job yall told me I could handle a few months back.  ;)

My gunsmith has a set of these that he uses.

Mini Pick and Hook Set 4 Pc

picks.jpg

the cheap Harbor Freight version works great. I use them to manipulate the gate spring so I can get the pin in. Couldn't explain it here or in a video but they allow me to compress the spring to get the pin in and out without too much difficulty. 

I also use them on other guns when my fingers are too large for the task.

These are also useful

Stainless Steel Tweezers Set 6 Pc

61Dq77qQHrL._SX425_.jpg

As are a set of these in various sizes with both straight and curved tips.

pect_0318-eae1b678aea04837e977ca2235d49e

10 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

My gunsmith has a set of these that he uses.

Mini Pick and Hook Set 4 Pc

picks.jpg

the cheap Harbor Freight version works great. I use them to manipulate the gate spring so I can get the pin in. Couldn't explain it here or in a video but they allow me to compress the spring to get the pin in and out without too much difficulty. 

I also use them on other guns when my fingers are too large for the task.

These are also useful

Stainless Steel Tweezers Set 6 Pc

61Dq77qQHrL._SX425_.jpg

As are a set of these in various sizes with both straight and curved tips.

pect_0318-eae1b678aea04837e977ca2235d49e

Now all you need is a batt powered Dremel, a pocket knife and some thread & you could do  dentistry and surgery between stages.  Cool !    :D:D:D

8 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

Now all you need is a batt powered Dremel, a pocket knife and some thread & you could do  dentistry and surgery between stages.  Cool !    :D:D:D

Dremel require 115 VAC but I have everything else needed to perform minor surgery and dentistry should the need arise. :lol: :lol:

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Dremel require 115 VAC but I have everything else needed to perform minor surgery and dentistry should the need arise. :lol: :lol:

They make Lithium powered now. We can butcher guns on the road ! :o:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Just put a rack of solar-panels on your gun cart, and you're GTG. :P

OLG

Howdy Again

Be careful using that tool from Brownells. If you torque down the screw too much you can put a permanent kink in the gate spring.

Don't ask me how I know.

This post was two days late. I ordered spring kits from Long Hunter and made ten or so attempts to get the first one back together. The second one done in about ten minutes. Now I am ready to do my old models. I think!

Archived