SASS Wire Forum

Lightning Risk

Multiple times over the past few years, and most recently today, I've been involved in the investigation of lightning strikes that are believed to have damaged CSST (corrugated stainless steel tubing) - a flexible tube used to carry propane or natural gas in buildings.  The general theory is that a direct or even a nearby strike energizes the CSST or another conductor in the structure, and due to the difference in potential an arc jumps between the CSST and the other metal, causing a rupture in the line.  There are other ideas regarding the actual mechanisms, but you get the general idea.  The arc penetration allows flammable gas to escape into the structure, and the arc ignites that gas, usually creating a "blow torch" that then ignites nearby combustibles.  

You do not want this to happen in your home.  Hundreds of thousands of feet of CSST have been installed in homes in the US over the past 15-20 years.  Most manufacturers and code agencies now agree that at the least, it is necessary to bond and ground CSST.  That means that you need a licensed electrician to add bonding clamps to the gas line, and run a grounding wire to the bus bar in your electrical panel.  Theoretically, this gives the charge someplace safe to go, and reduces the risk of arcing, ignition and fire.  It's an inexpensive safety precaution.

This is not an exact science at this point.  Lightning is an amazing phenomenon, and it does not always behave in a predictable way.  But if you have CSST in your home, play it safe; call an electrician, and get it bonded and grounded.  No sense playing with lightning.  I have seen whole houses destroyed by these fires, as well as severe injuries to occupants.  Don't take the risk.

Now, go have a great holiday weekend!

LL

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Googled it. It is "an advantage over black pipe because of flexibility". My house is 99% black pipe. The 1% CSST connects my stove top to black pipe.

That depends upon how you define "advantage".  There is no functional advantage.  It is simply easier and faster and cheaper to install (few fittings, bend around corners, snake through existing walls, etc.).  But it requires special tools, fittings and knowledge to install; it is easily perforated by nails and screws; and the lightning issue is the topper.  I have never seen black iron perforated by an arc.  

LL

I never knew of this particular weakness in this particular kind of line.

This is solid information and I do thank you for it!

I've been far more aware of lightning hazards since becoming a ham radio operator ... it's one thing to see your fiberglass vertical antenna turned into shreds of fiberglass splayed out like a shredded bouquet (happened to our club president, he also lost all the electronics in one half of his house), it's another entirely to lose the house to a kaboom afterward!

I'll pass this along at our next meeting, and I thank you most kindly for this!

On 9/1/2017 at 6:34 AM, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

I never knew of this particular weakness in this particular kind of line.

This is solid information and I do thank you for it!

I've been far more aware of lightning hazards since becoming a ham radio operator ... it's one thing to see your fiberglass vertical antenna turned into shreds of fiberglass splayed out like a shredded bouquet (happened to our club president, he also lost all the electronics in one half of his house), it's another entirely to lose the house to a kaboom afterward!

I'll pass this along at our next meeting, and I thank you most kindly for this!

Linn:

You are quite welcome; most folks are unaware of this issue, and the manufacturers do not appear to be doing much to spread the word (surprise, surprise).

A pic of a lightning arc perforation of a CSST gas line is attached.  The vinyl covering of the tube has been burned away in the ensuing fire.

LL

P8042873 (002).jpg

35 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That arc can also happen from and internal appliance issue, if not on a GFI circuit. ;)

Kinda common on gas stoves, with electric ignition.

OLG

In this case, half the chimney blown off, a large, burned hole through the siding and soffit, and dangling sections of melted vinyl siding were pretty decent indicators of a direct lightning strike - that and the neighbor who saw and heard it happen.

LL

44 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Wow, I'm on a propane tank in Colorado, a lightning-prone area.  My house was built in 1975, so it sounds like I don't have to worry about this.  Is that correct?

Look around for CSST. Recent additions or repairs may have used it instead of black pipe.

2 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Wow, I'm on a propane tank in Colorado, a lightning-prone area.  My house was built in 1975, so it sounds like I don't have to worry about this.  Is that correct?

The Marshal is correct; CSST is often used for adding on to an existing system, or for repairs, as it is easy to route in tight spaces.  Look for the corrugated pattern of the tubing.  Some is covered in yellow or black vinyl jackets.  No issue with copper tubing or black iron pipe, if installed properly.  But if you have CSST, get an electrician to check for bonding and grounding.

A word from some other Marshals:

http://www.csstsafety.com/CSST-solution.html

LL

Archived