SASS Wire Forum

how to protect firearms in a flood

Trigger Mike

watching Texas and the interviews of people telling reporters they are armed to resist looters got me to wondering about how many guns are now underwater and what could have been done to limit the damage.  Is there a particular easy to obtain oil or grease that could be used to prevent or at least limit rust while underwater?  What will the flood waters do to the stocks of some of these older military rifles or even wood modern rifles?

Though I have never had to worry about flooding in regards to hurricanes and such I know what I would do. I would get my guns as high s possible, which would mean probably in my attic / crawl space. I would not wrap them in plastic. Plastic keeps water out but if it gets in it holds it in better than it keeps it out. I would coat my guns entirely in petroleum based grease, and wrap each one in paper or cloth just to keep the grease on the gun. I am not talking a light coating but a lot of grease. Probably axle grease from a parts store. I wouldn't bother with Cosmoline or anything like that. This is a temporary measure. I would also coat the wood with the same grease.

Having water tight PVC tubes would be a better option but then you'd have to store them somewhere.

Make sure the "Boys" from High River Alberta don't come down your way, "Just to help out!"

(Look up High River Gun Grab.)

Facing possible house flooding here in Richmond, Fort Bend county.  Guns are as high up as we can get them if the house does get water inside.

Judge and Justice Lilly Kate got flooded and need help, but we have to stay here right now or we would go help.

Well it depends on how much time you have to prepare and how much you want to spend. If you are coastal and suffer salt water storm surge you can pretty much write everything off.Watertight storage tubes are an option but pricy if you have a couple dozen guns or more like a lot of us. Thick axle grease will help temporarily.

4 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Make sure the "Boys" from High River Alberta don't come down your way, "Just to help out!"

(Look up High River Gun Grab.)

Wow!

They would have a little trouble with that here at my house. You need a 20' ladder to get to the attic access in my garage. 

Howdy,

Ive seen stainless revolver that had been in a flood.

It was brown. That is stain LESS not stain PROOF.

Ruger might help out on their guns.

Isnt that what cosmoline is for?

Best

CR

Saw a idea years ago.  The article was talking about long term storage for some of those guns.  He sealed clean guns with desicant ?  in vacuum seal food bags.  Buy the bulk bags and cut to length.  If you had the time.     GW

33 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Wow!

They would have a little trouble with that here at my house. You need a 20' ladder to get to the attic access in my garage. 

I'm sure they would do it, even if they had to make several trips, just as they did in High River.

This is a near text book example of over-reach by those job it is to follow the laws made by elected officials.

What is particularly sad is that they pretty well got away with it. No one has been held to account.

Be thankful you have the NRA.

i thought I'd better ask.  i live 150 miles from the coast and we rarely get hurricanes in GA but last year we were on the hard side of a tropical storm when it hit my house and the "softer" side of a hurricane both about a month apart.  50 inches of rain would definitely make a huge difference.  there is a small pond in my front yard and a larger one in my back yard down a hill.  

Best option would have been load them up and out of dodge.. Not like folks didn't know it was coming.

IMO, the best short term option to survive a flood would be pcv pipe with caps glued on both ends then lashed to something to keep them from floating away.

Pistols, breakdown rifles/shotguns and the like......put them in the dishwasher. Water can't get out or in assuming the dishwasher is in good shape.  Long guns that can't be broken down......another story.

Best thing to do is load them up in the backseat of your supercab pickup and go visit your relatives/friends a long way away from the storm.

"There's going to be a hurricane at your house in one week" is not useless information.

I live over 800 miles from Houston and I knew there was going to be a hurricane there.

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Spray the gun with WD-40 and put it in a vacuum seal bag.

Then place them in a Pelican hard case, as they are also waterproof.

OLG

Yep WD-40 is a poor gun lubricant but makes a decent preservative in a pinch. Apply several heavy coats with some drying time in between. WD-40 is better than grease in my opinion because it will flow down into the action where getting grease into the actions would be harder.

Food storage vacuum bags is an excellent idea. They can be had large enough to accommodate most long guns, pistols, and other valuables and the bags are pretty durable. Throw in a desiccant bag and then seal it up. Might have an issue with the sealer not being able to get all the air out but even it there was still some air in the bag as long as the seal is good your guns would be safe. Bags are also unlikely to float which would be another plus.

3 hours ago, Shootin' Shu said:

Best option would have been load them up and out of dodge.. Not like folks didn't know it was coming.

IMO, the best short term option to survive a flood would be pcv pipe with caps glued on both ends then lashed to something to keep them from floating away.

PVC pipe with the ends glued in place is also an excellent idea. Only drawback I can see is that it would likely float.

6 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Yep WD-40 is a poor gun lubricant but makes a decent preservative in a pinch. Apply several heavy coats with some drying time in between. WD-40 is better than grease in my opinion because it will flow down into the action where getting grease into the actions would be harder.

Food storage vacuum bags is an excellent idea. They can be had large enough to accommodate most long guns, pistols, and other valuables and the bags are pretty durable. Throw in a desiccant bag and then seal it up. Might have an issue with the sealer not being able to get all the air out but even it there was still some air in the bag as long as the seal is good your guns would be safe. Bags are also unlikely to float which would be another plus.

PVC pipe with the ends glued in place is also an excellent idea. Only drawback I can see is that it would likely float.

3 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Pistols, breakdown rifles/shotguns and the like......put them in the dishwasher. Water can't get out or in assuming the dishwasher is in good shape.  Long guns that can't be broken down......another story.

Sorry this is an URBAN LEGEND

Every dish washer has vents to allow the moisture to escape during the drying cycle. Usually they are on the front door.  Water can also enter through the drain line if it gets above the height of the sink.  

Well, I can say with certainty that unless I am incapacitated my guns will be with me in my truck or Suburban. Along with other keepsakes if I ever have to evacuate and I have time to prepare. If I don't have time and it's really bad, saving my guns will not outweigh saving my wife's life or my own. The guns can be replaced.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Lots of long guns will never fit into a PVC tube like AR's and such.

To say nut'n bout the bulk of each tube.

Also-The fumes of the glue can/will damage stock finish.

OLG

You ain't looked hard enough for the right tube then. You can even take out one screw, catch the spring and detent in your hand then put all that in a baggie in the tube with the rest of the AR.

13 minutes ago, Ron "Ironhead" Smith said:

You ain't looked hard enough for the right tube then. You can even take out one screw, catch the spring and detent in your hand then put all that in a baggie in the tube with the rest of the AR.

If you have an A-2 type upper-That's the bugaboo.

OLG

Maybe John Boy can chime in.  He had his firearms and ammo in his basement, when Sandy hit NJ a few years ago.  A broken window resulted in  flood.  As I recall, he restored almost all of the firearms.  Even shot some of the ammo at CAS matches, and there were a few duds as I recall.

If you are coastal and suffer salt water storm surge you can pretty much write everything off.

If you have a salt water surge that gets on the firearms ( as I did with Super Storm Sandy) - immediately, rinse them down with HOT WATER to remove the salt on the metal, then if possible dry them with a hair dryer and then oil ...

* I had 2 safes of long arms with the muzzles stored down.  They were under water for 2 days and the salt ate the bluing and the sugar sand got in the actions.  I had no electricity and no hot water but I did boil water on the gas stove - rinsed them and oiled with engine defogging oil.  All the forearms and stocks were in pretty good shape.

* Contacted the insurer for the firearms coverage and determined the necessary repairs were covered

* Gunsmith worked on the long arms (all handguns were not in water) for 3 months.  Primarily re-bluing and action cleanings.  Overall, lost about 15% of original value but all long arms were restored except 2 Daisy BB guns that were on the floor in a corner

Ammunition:

* Centerfires - sprayed with hot water - dried and rubbed down with Eexox - about 3500 reloads and yes had duds shooting some at matches.  All the empty brass was cleaned in the rotary tumbler and loss was about 100 plus split cases

* Shot shells (12 cases)  lost all the paper boxes but they got washed with the hot water and dried.  Many of the hulls had to be brushed with a gasket stripping wheel to remove the rust.  Lost about a case and a half because the salt water got inside the hulls

Molds

Over 200 reloading molds - lost all the boxes, primarily Lee's.  I had to de-rust all the iron ones with electrolysis and the aluminum ones cleaned in a sonic cleaner.  Single molds - perfect ... those with handles, the mold came out cleaned but the handles look like heck

Dies

Luckily, they were above the30" of water

I also had to clean the presses including the Dillon.  All electronics were ruined and went to the curb

On a lower shelf, I forgot about my parts boxes but got a bright idea ... clean the parts in the rotary tumbler with media and burnishing solution (Strat-O-Sheen).  Before and after results of the parts I took a picture of ...

GunParts3_zpsc32ac550.jpg

GunParts7_zps748e212c.jpg

AND BE SURE TO SEAL ALL HOLES IN YOUR SAFE(S) AND INSURE THE GASKETS ON THE DOORS WILL PROVIDE WATERPROOFING

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If you have an A-2 type upper-That's the bugaboo.

OLG

The local Home Depot and Lowes carry tube big enough. Or one can always just push two pins, take the rifle down and use smaller tube.

1 hour ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

vac seal in cut to size bags , after they are cleaned and oiled well , IF you do not have any O2 eaters 

use a hot hands , will pull the O2 out 

stored Dads stuff this way , over 5 years ago , NO issues that I can see , 

CB 

Never though about using one of those. Have to write that down.

I know a guy who feared government so much that he took his firearms and sealed them in PVC pipe and buried them. I tried my best to convince him that they really had no interest in his single shot and pump shotguns.

Archived