SASS Wire Forum

Slicking up a Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum (newby)

Space Cowboy, #106127

Check the spring end of your magazine follower and make sure it doesn't have any burs or sharp edges. The one I purchased for my 1895 had a very sharp lip that caused it to drag in the magazine tube. I chucked it up in my drill and using some 400 grip emery paper put a slight bevel to it. I then gave it a good polishing with a little rouge using a shotgun bore mop on a cleaning rod chucked into my drill. Then using a clean mop applied a little car wax and polished the inside of the mag tube to a high shine.

This cured my 1895 from doing the same thing your 1894 was doing. Granted 45-70 rounds are a lot longer but the symptoms sure sound very similar.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tinkered with it a little more, and for the life of me I cant figure it. Occasionally it will jam also when cycling slowly with dummy rounds. I think I need to send it back to Marlin and see what they think. If it is jamming up on empty cases, I dont see how it can be ammo related. I will hopefully have time tomorrow to call them for some input.

Pistolero,

I'm looking at the LAST pix that you posted of the stuck round.  

Question 1:   does your barrel recess into your receiver FURTHER than the receiver wall/portal?    Basically, it should be flush.

Question 2:  Your pictures seems to show the 'wing' area of your carrier thru the loading gate and the bullet appears to be sitting higher than the carrier..... almost like its sitting on top of the wing and not down between the wings.

Am I looking at that correctly?

Although you took the magazine and follower out while we were on the phone and checked everything,  SEDALIA DAVE's suggestion to go back and look closely at the mag tube follower is a good idea.

And yes, it is possible you may have a weak/bad spring which normally is indicated with the last round.

Does your gremlin show itself when you have 5 or more rounds in the tube or just when its almost empty?

Do you have a shooting Pard that has a Marlin 1894?   If so,  ask if you can compare your Lever & carrier to their parts..... (remember, there will be a slight difference in the .38 carrier than the .44, particularly the design of the top flat area, so don't let that concern you).

If you would like for me to check out your lever/carrier, I'll be glad to look them over and get them back to you immediately.

I'll send you a PM.

..........Widder

Pennsy-Run a brush and patch through the mag tube.

Do you have any .44 Special ammo?

Also-Does the carrier swing freely through it's full range of travel?

When you cycle the rifle with ammo-Is the rifle held horizontal?

OLG

19 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Check the spring end of your magazine follower and make sure it doesn't have any burs or sharp edges. The one I purchased for my 1895 had a very sharp lip that caused it to drag in the magazine tube. I chucked it up in my drill and using some 400 grip emery paper put a slight bevel to it. I then gave it a good polishing with a little rouge using a shotgun bore mop on a cleaning rod chucked into my drill. Then using a clean mop applied a little car wax and polished the inside of the mag tube to a high shine.

This cured my 1895 from doing the same thing your 1894 was doing. Granted 45-70 rounds are a lot longer but the symptoms sure sound very similar.

No burs or sharpness; I even reversed the mag spring and got the same behavior.

Heres some pics i took after it jammed again. I removed the forend and mag tube keeping it jammed so we can get a looksie. That round is really in there; I can press, push, touch all on it and it wont budge once in this position. The case appears to be seated inside the wings of the carrier, not merely on top of them. I am thinking the evidence is pointing to super fast timing from the carrier modification, and the lifter is coming up too soon and pinching and trapping the round while still in the portal. If I cycle slowly, the mag spring has more time to push the round out in time so its less likely to jam. Question is, if in fact that is the case, should some light sanding be done on the carrier to slow it down or should the portal in the receiver be ovaled out a little? Or, something else?

20171109_194039_HDR.jpg

20171109_194328_HDR.jpg

20171109_194342_HDR.jpg

20171109_194540_HDR.jpg

Those are good pics.   

If the timing is tooooooo fast, lowering the ramp 'ANGLE' could help.   BUT, if somebody knows what they are doing in a timing issue, the ramp can be 'curve' at a particular spot to allow good timing with longer ammo and at the same time, keep good timing at the lower portion of the carrier ramp for shorter ammo.

Basically, good timing can allow the rifle to reliably handle ammo of various OAL,  all within the specs of its caliber.

..........Widder

It’s to the point where I load one round in the magazine, and cycle swiftly, it jams up but not as hard. I can then jiggle and close the lever and the round goes back up inside the mag tube. And now after this happens, I cycle swiftly and as hard as I can, and the round will chamber. I repeated this numerous time with the same outcome. 

I took rifle apart apart to get pics of the carrier for OLG, and I also removed the loading gate. It looked like it was too close to the side of the receiver and not bent inward enough to hold the rounds in their place. So I put some pressure on the loading gate tab so it would bend more inward...and it frigging snapped in half.  *sigh*

You want the LG to have contact with the loading port.

Sorry to hear of the bad luck.:(

Order one here, ASAP.......

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receiver-hardware/springs/loading-spring-prod8555.aspx

Post the carrier pictures when you can.

Just an FYI-

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-parts/bolt-carriers/carrier-assembly-new-style-prod8698.aspx

OLG

Alright, so I didn't get to the pics BUT I was waiting for replacement parts to come in. New loading gate tab, new lever screw, and for the helluvit, new mag spring. The new mag spring is several inches longer than what was in the rifle...hmmm...

Although I couldn't fire it tonight, I cycled 10 rounds over and over again at different speeds, and didn't have any jams. SO...either one or all replacement parts seemed to have helped...so FOR NOW dare I say it... I think I have it fixed. Time will tell.

Archived