SASS Wire Forum

Digital powder measures

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

Hi Bob,

Mine is green, RCBS I think, but essentially the same.  Keep in mind that electronic load sensors drift with time and temperature, so there is a real need to turn the unit on, let it run for a few minutes, calibrate it, and use it, checking the calibration / re-calibrating  every hour or so and use it in a climate controlled environment.  Also some powders seem to trickle better than others just because of the size and shape of the powder itself inducing some variability in the final output as well.   I have a laboratory balance scale I purchased off an auction when they closed down the local high school that is far more accurate and considering I paid like $10 for it along with a big box of other stuff, when it comes to accuracy it's always on the money, but it is not nearly as convenient.  So don't discard your balance scale as it will remain the best "Standard" you will have available.

F.S.

Take a look at the one from Lyman, good price at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AU6CIUO/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I24ISMJQKX7HFA&colid=28FJLN0C4LP6E

TB

I have the RCBS one and it works great. it stays calibered.  The Horady should work just as will. For all of my long range bullet I use +/-0, I get that 80% of the time some times it is +/-.1 gr.

10 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Actually accurate to plus/minus 0.02 grains. Most digital reloading scales are only accurate to plus/minus 0.1 grains.  This scale gives you 5 times the accuracy for 1/4 the price.

I have a set and like them for precision work

I too have the RCBS and it works great. They need to be level and can be a little temp sensitive. I tried to use a digital (a Lyman) when it was below 50 and it was way off. After I waited for my heater to get the room warm, worked good then.

I can't answer about the Hornady. I've never used one or know of anyone who has.

Although I wouldn't hesitate to buy any Hornady product, I'm happy with any I have.

The Lyman I do have and have used it quite a lot especially developing loads for new guns.

It works with any type of powder, (extruded, ball or flake). I recommend it. Scale has always been accurate.

I would buy it again.

22 hours ago, Flyin Shootest said:

Hi Bob,

Mine is green, RCBS I think, but essentially the same.  Keep in mind that electronic load sensors drift with time and temperature, so there is a real need to turn the unit on, let it run for a few minutes, calibrate it, and use it, checking the calibration / re-calibrating  every hour or so and use it in a climate controlled environment.  Also some powders seem to trickle better than others just because of the size and shape of the powder itself inducing some variability in the final output as well.   I have a laboratory balance scale I purchased off an auction when they closed down the local high school that is far more accurate and considering I paid like $10 for it along with a big box of other stuff, when it comes to accuracy it's always on the money, but it is not nearly as convenient.  So don't discard your balance scale as it will remain the best "Standard" you will have available.

F.S.

Howdy, I've looked the RCBS, but it's more $ than I want to spend. I only load 150 or so 38-55's at  time.

I do believe they are all made by a company called PACT. 

They make most digital scales and such.

I bought the auto loader from RCBS as I prefer the color GREEN. Was great UNTIL coming home one afternoon I saw my unit was running, no powder was coming out as it was piled neatly in front of the spout and all the powder was emptied in front neatly until I turned it off.

The wiring in my home was old and when any electric item went on so did the powder machine go on and it couldn't turn itself off. Was funny.

Called Pact, they explained dedicated wiring to me. 

Unfortunately, the only item that caused the powder measure to go on was the REFRIGERATOR. I TESTED IT, was the GHOST OF CHRISTMAS PAST.

MY CHOICE, use batteries only, rewire home or replace.. 

Archived