SASS Wire Forum

Hurrricane Harvey

Hoss

Battening down the hatches now! looks like I'm going to have an unwanted weekend visitor. forecast to come ashore right where I live. I'm hoping it turns north before landfall, even just 20-30 miles up the coast would be way better for me, keep my house on the "dry side" of the storm.

Stay safe.  Hope you and all my cowboy pards down that way come out with no damage.  Hope to see y'all at Ft. Parker in October.

Hoss, looks like it could be a Cat 3 by the time it gets there.

If you live near the coast (15' or lower) please consider leaving now. If your area is prone to flooding, ditto. I know it's hard to leave but better to be safe than sorry. If you are on the eastern side of the storm,,,it's much worse. For what it's worth, the dishwasher is a good place to store things to protect them from water.

Hurricane Andrew was 25 years ago, to date. Nasty stuff.

Be safe, hope your outcome is good.

CS

Our house is 1/2 block of Corpus Christi Bay.  But we are on a bluff, 29' above sea level. Our street is actually the storm drain, dumping directly into the bay.  Our house was built in 1965, survived Celia (1969 cat 5 storm) so I'm not worried about my house.  But.... The city and county have made a mandatory evacuation order.  That means they will likely turn off the water, and also likely going to lose power.  We are going inland a couple hundred miles to Fredericksburg Tx to ride it out.  Probably going to have to go by Texas Jacks while I am there :)

I appreciate the prayers, I'll keep y'all posted!!!

Safe travels  Hoss.

Bring  your  sass membership  card and Texas Jacks  gives us a discount . 

I'll  tell No Horse  that  your  coming  and  bringing  the  possum  biscuits  and  gravy. Even  if  you  don't , that'd  get  him  stirred  up.  

CS  

24 minutes ago, Clueless Bob said:

Your welcome up here if need be.  Just give us a shout!!

Thanks! 

The Corpus area, (Portland), will get hit hard, but it sounds like Hoss's house is situated well to weather the storm.  He's smart to go inland though as there will probably be outages that may last for several days.  In Alvin where I live, I don't expect much more than a lot of rain, and probably power outages.  Where I'm situated, I can take a whole lot of rain, 6 to 8  inches plus per day, without problems.  I also have two generators so I can keep the refrigeration going when needed.  Survived Hurricane IKE a few years ago without much problem, and it was much worse than what we will get from Harvey.

RBK

Hoss...plenty of room here...rates are reasonable also....call if you get tired of F burg...your pal JNH

Be safe to all ya Texans.  I learned the hard way.  I did not evacuate for Ivan; thought we could ride it out.  I'll NEVER put my family through that again.  Thought the house was coming down with us in it!  A couple of years later when Dennis came calling we left in plenty of time. 

Be safe.  I'd invite you to come stay in Richmond, TX, as I have a whole house generator, but we're supposed to get heavy rains as Crazy Harvey looks like he will turn and come our way after hitting the Corpus area.  My street didn't flood during the spring 2016 floods, but the only street in/out of neighborhood does flood.  If you're in, you stay in; if you're out you don't get in.  We're prepared to stay put for at least a week on our little island.  Do hope things dry out by Thursday as I've signed up to shoot Shootin' in the Shade in Arkansas unless we can't get out.

Have fun in Fredericksburg and don't spend too much money at Texas Jacks.

It has cooled the temps quite nicely here in NW Harris county.  We cancelled our Saturday shoot.  Planning on a cookout later this afternoon.  Gasoline in short supply and bottled water is scarce.  Good time to catch up on reloading, dry firing, and beauty sleep for some.

I think I was 13 yrs old when Hurricane Carla hit Galveston.

I remember sneaking out of the house and walking the 4 blocks down to the seawall with my 2 cousins,

we wanted to see what the Eye of a Hurricane looked like as it went over us.....

We had to strap our belts around the railing to keep from getting blown away

or sucked into the Gulf from the waves going over or heads.

It was a Wild Ride to say the least..........

When we Finally made it back to the house we all agreed that it had been a pretty Stupid Idea!

And we Swore to our parents we would Never do anything that Dumb Again.

But we All got our Butts Whipped anyway........

Ya'll all be Safe and Dont do what I did !!!!!!!!

Dawn is breaking here on Saturday morn.  So far, at our homestead, 2.5" over the last 12 hours.  

We are forecast for over 9 inches for Saturday and Sunday, and on Monday 8 inches.  That is fine as long as it is spread out over those 24 hour time periods.  Problems arise when a location gets 5 or more inches in an hour.

Cookout went well  last nite....burnt the corn on the cob, excellent salmon, venision and beef steak.  Good beer softened the blow on the corn.  :D

I do regret not getting new rubber boots....So its up to my wife, Kansas City Sneed and my Son to go outside and do whatever...:lol:

On 8/25/2017 at 1:34 PM, Oklahoma Dee said:

It has cooled the temps quite nicely here in NW Harris county.  We cancelled our Saturday shoot.  Planning on a cookout later this afternoon.  Gasoline in short supply and bottled water is scarce.  Good time to catch up on reloading, dry firing, and beauty sleep for some.

Storm ain't gonna last long enough for you to get enough beauty sleep to make any difference!!!!

Waiting on a report on my house, but all I've heard is that we should be fine. 

Work wise,  Coms are spotty at best, but barges & boats all appear to be fine. Nothing on bank. No crew injuries. Our offices are Intact, shop doors blown open. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Storm ain't gonna last long enough for you to get enough beauty sleep to make any difference!!!!

Hmmmmmmm, Now I understand why most Posse's want you on the unloading table.....versus being a counter or score keepin!  Your pert near Blind!!!! :lol:

We got a little bit of it today up in Cleburne at Comanche Valley Vigilantes.

But it did'nt  keep us from Shootin'....... 

We had 3 Cowboy Posse's and one Wild Bunch Posse down on the West End of Town, I think I whupped Evil Roy on one stage :)

We shot all the indoor & covered stages and I don't believe anybody got too wet,

Bout the only damage we incurred was the wind carrying off a few Hats & Umbrellas.

We're gonna shoot CAS again tomorrow,

So any of you waterlogged folks down south that can make it come up & join us !!!!!

We lost power for awhile, started playin cards by candle light.  Then the power came back on and we forgot the card game... Dang good thing...She was winnin.

Hoss...Dee...l feel like you two are nearby...lots of air blowing by this morning...just not hot enough to be either of you....lol.   I am going to get dressed (EOT) before going out to check the storm. Lots of wind and rain this Sunday morning 4 am.  Good luck to all who are still in this major flood event. God bless you and your animals...stay safe...and careful at lowwater crossings....Jim

Looks like Austin-HSTN area I catching it now. 

My heart goes out to those in Rock Port extended area.  Some very bad conditions there.  Lost of homes can be devastating.

Here in NW Houston area, there are portions that are flooded and getting worse.  Continual rain patterns have shifted and now we on are in one of the big rain bands.

Rained all evening and night and looks to continue most of the morning.

Based on the Harris County Flood Warning System, in our neck of the woods, we received about 5 inches over the last 6 hours.  In the last 24 hours alittle shy of 11 total inches. 

I'm in Ok Dee's neck of the woods (lake?) and agree it's a mite damp to venture forth.

They cancelled Church this a.m. but walmart is still open;  mostly men roaming the aisles looking a bit lost...and wet

a couple more days and you can call Houston the 6th Great Lake--right now we're a pretty good one.

prayers for all who were injured, killed plus those who suffered damage.

cheyenne 

Dee...take care and be safe....you have our prayers ....Jim

I'm still hiding out in Fredericksburg. Saw this sign in Alamo Springs Cafe. Made me think of old Jim No Horse, and might explain a thing or two!!!

i don't know why it's sideways, or how to fix it. (Same could be said of JNH!)

IMG_0279.JPG

Archived