SASS Wire Forum

thoughts on a heritage 22 revolver

Trigger Mike

I've never been a fan. When I was selling them, I would have people spin the cylinder on one, then on a Single-Six. Night and day. Had a few come back with timing issues, and a couple never made it out the door because they would lock up and not spin for no apparent reason. Having said that, at the price, we sold a LOT of them. I would tell people that if you just want something you can take and plink and have fun with, it will do OK. If you want something you can hand down to your kids and your kid's kids, then a Single Six is worth the money.

Our son has one and is just fine with it.  He takes it on his trap line in Minnesota to dispatch some of his harvest that may bite.  

I've seen them at lower prices.  One local gunshop had them last Christmas at $99.00.  A local distributor had them at $112.00.  I just looked on a major online auction and one was advertised "buy now" for $89.99.  

Its a throw-a-way. Friend and I go to the range twice a month, he wanted a .22 for some fun shooting. It lasted twice before problems, timing was bad. Finally the hammer cracked. A proper torch burial was given. He paid 144.00 for it, dealer wanted to get rid of them.  MT

I borrowed one a while when my daughter was first learning to shoot.  It was clunky and scratchy, but went bang every time.  If you get lucky, this is about the best performance you can expect.

If low $ are your highest priority, they are okay.  For a few more $, get a used Single Six.

I have one, won at a match and bought it's sister.  Both work fine.  Not well made but functional.

I did listen to a local gunshop owner give me opinion of the revolver.   Seems he's listed on one or more online sales brokers and will get these in to do FFL transfer that have been ordered by people.   He says they all have problems then they bring them back in to him and expect him to do something.  He was not happy.  I'm sure he explains that it's not his responsibility. I'm sure the customer is not pleased either. 

Back in the 1970's Bell Helmet had a slogan that said "If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet". I saw that slogan in a motorcycle store when I was 13, I believe, and it's stuck with me ever since.

When I buy a helmet, I buy a good helmet because I don't believe I have a "$10 head". Same goes for self defense guns.

Trigger Mike, you said the word "swamp". Snakes that live in "swamps" aren't bug eaters. If your son encounters a snake do you want him having a "$10 helmet"?

6 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Back in the 1970's Bell Helmet had a slogan that said "If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet". I saw that slogan in a motorcycle store when I was 13, I believe, and it's stuck with me ever since.

When I buy a helmet, I buy a good helmet because I don't believe I have a "$10 head". Same goes for self defense guns.

Trigger Mike, you said the word "swamp". Snakes that live in "swamps" aren't bug eaters. If your son encounters a snake do you want him having a "$10 helmet"?

^   This is what I was also thinking.

If you basically want this pistol because its basic usage could be 'most important', you don't want to skimp on quality of a firearm.

And for smaller carry, the Bearcat's are good little pistols also.

And for a DA/SA revolver, Ruger has the SP101 in .22 LR and Tauras has the 'Tracker'  also.   I think both of these come in 9 shot.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Okay, so Pat reacquainted me with the key issue...  You're wanting your son to be able to dispatch poisonous snakes with this gun.  I would not bet my son's well being on a Heritage.  They're okay for plinking, but do not bet his life on one.

My snake killing position is,  if you can see it to shoot it, just give it time to move away or go around.  

While I've killed a few with a handgun,  I've killed more with an ax or a stick.  Just don't pick up a snake to beat a stick to death. 

7 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

My snake killing position is,  if you can see it to shoot it, just give it time to move away or go around.  

While I've killed a few with a handgun,  I've killed more with an ax or a stick.  Just don't pick up a snake to beat a stick to death. 

I would agree except when it comes to Water Moccasins. A Moccasin must die, regardless. They do not "go around". Use any mean possible, use it fast and use it well. 

if you feel the need for a .22 Cowboy Pistol this is your guy

the second you pick it up -- you'll know it.    I just won't be able to get you to put it down :)

VM2B1845-R75 22 cowboy pistol.jpg

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I would agree except when it comes to Water Moccasins. A Moccasin must die, regardless. They do not "go around". Use any mean possible, use it fast and use it well. 

We use to have water moccasins in our creek but not seen one in many years.  Snakes of all kinds have about gone extinct around here.  I'm convinced the wild turkey work on them pretty hard and I often see hawks hauling them off.

Also,  I would suspect that snakes are protected in most of the country.   

I had one and wasn't too crazy about it. I have an old Single Six that's pretty nice! Like Doc Ward said, night and day!!

I did want to mention I had a Single Six Convertible. Was not worth a darn for accuracy in .22lr because it was bored for .22 Magnum. Very accurate with .22 Mag.

If you want a .22lr buy a .22lr.

following a suggestion on another board i took 5 samples from my Remmington Thunderbolt pack.   Set my MIC at .225.   all 5 samples fit thru, just a bit snug.

i also found a note regarding firing 22LR out of the 22WMR cylinder.   

The barrel is sized to work properly with both bullets. The problem is when people try to shoot .22LR in a .22WMR cylinder (ask me how I know). The .22LR will expand inside the magnum cylinder, and may rupture, due to the different diameter of the two cartridge cases. Since the .22LR is not supported properly in the magnum cylinder (and probably not concentric to the bore axis), the accuracy is nil. It looks more like a shotgun pattern than a group.

(Source)

I have 2 Ruger Single Sixes in 22LR/22WMR.    they both shoot good.    when i miss it's because of a poor hold or i let the gun shift when the trigger broke.

3 hours ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

following a suggestion on another board i took 5 samples from my Remmington Thunderbolt pack.   Set my MIC at .225.   all 5 samples fit thru, just a bit snug.

i also found a note regarding firing 22LR out of the 22WMR cylinder.   

(Source)

I have 2 Ruger Single Sixes in 22LR/22WMR.    they both shoot good.    when i miss it's because of a poor hold or i let the gun shift when the trigger broke.

After I sold mine I heard other folks say the same. I did not have that experience.

Trigger Mike,

I was looking at Chili Ron's post about .22's and it dawned on me that you should check out getting your son a used H&R .22 revolver. I gave my grandson an H&R model 686 (I think) with a 7" barrel. It is accurate and reliable. You can find them on used sites for a decent price. I was shooting his up against my S&W model 17 with a 6" barrel and it was just as accurate, if not more accurate and it;s lighter weight so a boy can handle it. My grandson's 11 years old.

in the "FWIW" Dept. I spoke with a tech. in the local gunshop about the 22LR/22WMR bore question.

the tech. told me "all .22 are bored .224".

"because 22LR is a heeled bullet while 22WMR is an inside the case bullet -- both work in the .224 bore"

i think this is clearly a case of "your results will vary"

I tried and tried to give him a single six to use and he didn't want it, then he saw a moccasin and got serious that he needed a pistol.  then he said he wanted a semi auto being cool like they are, showed him a semi auto will not cycle snake shot and his mom is not ready for him to carry lead bullets yet, tried the single six again but he did not like the size.  let him carry a shorter Colt Frontier 22 and he liked it but thats too expensive for him to carry around.  i had the fever again and needed to get a quick fix to hold back the withdrawals of not buying a gun lately so I went ahead and bought the Heritage since some said it worked for them.  It is smaller than the single six.  shorter barrel as well.  so we shot it today.  His group was larger than my hand.  I shot it and my group was the size of my thumb at 10 yards.  Worked on his stance some and he got a little tighter.  With a rifle he is dead on so it might be the sight radius.  I then told him to load snake shot and shoot the target.  He then fell in love and keeps it in a nylon holster made for a large revolver that has a flap to protect it which is good as he rides the ATV through the mud and it stayed dry.  I still don't know if it will be reliable enough very long and will make sure the screws etc are tight.  now that he has got to like the heritage i plan on trying him on a Ruger some day.  I am finding that my sons want fast semi auto for the cool factor but need to get used to a revolver first.  One thing about Ruger though, he has a 10/22 and he noticed today that his rear sight fell off which is something I've never seen a Ruger do.  

i found this topic to be Most Interesting

for my own edification I hauled off and sold one of my Single Sixes -- the one with target sights not the Cowboy one -- and got me a Mk. III target shooter

i fired maybe a dozen strings with it this afternoon

it's definitely promising

I still drop the occasion shot outside the nines, but: when this happens I know: I did it.    The Single Six always left me scratching my head at times -- how'd that happen ?

if there are intersting developments I'll make another post or so this week as I work with the Mk. III

this particular Mk. III is the 22/45 variety -- has a handle just like a 1911 :)

On 8/24/2017 at 8:32 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When I buy a helmet, I buy a good helmet because I don't believe I have a "$10 head". 

You sure about that? Sorry, couldn't resist....:P

• 1 month later...

I like mine, the screw that holds the housing for the ejector rod needs a bit of locktite blue as it tends to work itself loose, but I bought the model that can take the .22mag cylinder as well.  Good for plinking and cheap target practice.  If you have the money go for the single six from Ruger other wise the RR is fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this at the last gun show I attended.

I told the sales person I was thinking about getting into cowboy shooting,and never had a single action hand gun and that for the $150 it was cheap to get it and give it a try.

well mine has only been shot once,that's all it took for me and my wife to get into cowboy shooting.

we looked for a event  near us,and when the next one was and went to it,and we where hooked.

now we need to get guns and get ready for next year.

Howdy,

Fer snake try a ruger Mk II and stingers. Sure worked for me.

If his hands are a bit small I bet the bearcat or the shopkeeper would

work real well.... But I haven't tried snake shot.

MAYBE a convertible with the 22 mag and shot would be better?

Way back when I got the .22 mk ii gummint.

Then I had Chief AJ tune that.  REAL sweet.

The weight of the 6 plus inch barrel(no flutes) keeps on target.

Why must people flute the barrel to make lighter then

cut in compensator to keep on target?

So much work and fuss to avoid a few ounces....

And still iron sights. Seems like the Chief did tweak the front.

But he got it right after I bought it so I don't remember stock setup.

Ten rounds, ten more and ten after.

Archived