SASS Wire Forum

7th Fleet commander to be relieved, will retire early

From NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/22/world/asia/us-navy-ship-collision-uss-mccain-search-sailors.html?emc=edit_th_20170823&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=30446431

WASHINGTON — After ordering a rare suspension of ship operations worldwide, the Navy plans to relieve the commander of the fleet that has sustained four collisions in Asia and the deaths of more than a dozen sailors this year, an American official said Tuesday.

Vice Adm. Joseph P. Aucoin, the head of the Seventh Fleet based in Japan, the Navy’s largest overseas fleet, is expected to be removed Wednesday in connection with the four collisions since January, including two fatal ones in the past two months, the official said.

Admiral Aucoin had been scheduled to retire next month, but his superiors pushed up his departure date after losing confidence in his leadership. The action was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

Navy officials declined to comment on Tuesday night. But Adm. Scott H. Swift, the commander of the United States Pacific Fleet, was flying from Singapore to the Seventh Fleet headquarters in Yokosuka, Japan, where he is expected to relieve Admiral Aucoin on Wednesday. Admiral Aucoin, a highly decorated naval aviator, has commanded the fleet since September 2015.

The admiral’s removal comes as the Navy is preparing to conduct an extremely rare suspension of ship operations worldwide for a day or two in the next week to review safety and operational procedures. More broadly, Navy officials are also investigating the role that training, manning and crew communications may have played in the collisions.

Divers have found remains of missing American sailors in the flooded compartments of the Navy destroyer John S. McCain, which collided with an oil tanker on Monday off the coast of Singapore, Admiral Swift said.

He declined to say how many bodies had been located in the ship, which is docked at Changi Naval Base in Singapore. He also said that the Malaysian Navy, which is part of the search effort, had reported recovering a body at sea that might be one of the 10 missing sailors.

“We have discovered other bodies during the diving on the McCain today,” Admiral Swift said at a news conference, held within sight of the damaged ship. “But it is premature to say how many or what the status of the recovery of those bodies is.”

The body found by the Malaysian Navy is being handed over to the Americans for identification.

Ships and aircraft from five nations have been searching for the sailors near the site of the collision, in waters claimed by both Malaysia and Singapore. Each of those two countries claimed to be leading the search effort at sea, which includes ships and planes from the United States, Indonesia and Australia.

Admiral Swift said the search at sea would continue despite the discovery of remains in the ship. “The focus of the United States Pacific Fleet is our 10 missing sailors and their families,” he said. “We are always hopeful there are survivors.”

On Tuesday afternoon, the White House issued a statement expressing “great sadness” over the deaths of the sailors aboard the McCain. “As the Navy begins the process of recovering our fallen sailors, our thoughts and prayers go out to their families and friends,” the statement said.

The collision was the second in two months involving a destroyer from the Seventh Fleet, which is based in Yokosuka, Japan.

They are now speculating that there has been some hacking in the ships systems. Which the Admiral can't "LEAD" or command around. But two large vessels easily seen, how do they collide? Unless everyone is staring at a screen and doesn't look out the window.

Ike

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

I doubt there will be much pomp and circumstance at his ceremony either.

Nope. Big difference in turning over your command to the incoming officer and being relieved of command.

Back bags and leave in the middle of the night.

3 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

I do.

Let's see;  loss of life in a non combat environment, millions of dollars of damage on billions of dollars of equipment, loss of confidence .......

Likely get bumped down both time in service, and time in grade.

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

They are now speculating that there has been some hacking in the ships systems. Which the Admiral can't "LEAD" or command around. But two large vessels easily seen, how do they collide? Unless everyone is staring at a screen and doesn't look out the window.

Ike

Not easily seen when no nav lights are run'n on a dark, moonless night. ;)

OLG

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Ike

Irish Ike, you hit the nail on the head! I understand from some of my Navy buddies that rather than learning true seamanship many of the new Sailors  and Officers like being siloed in the Ops rooms . There they develop a skillset in demand for the many systems guided and operated weapons. This translates into faster promotions. Just like many of our non-military citizens looking at their I-phones and laptops. True leadership at sea means strict adherence to the basics. One of those basics includes standing Deck watch. Sounds like a simple task, however you need to know what to look for, stay alert and have leadership that explains and instills into these young Sailors and officers just how vitally important this watch can be. Yes, I was in the Navy and remember standing many a watch. I was trained and to tell the truth I was scared to death of maybe p^@%^& off the Master Chief. I stood my watches well.

55 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Let's see;  loss of life in a non combat environment, millions of dollars of damage on billions of dollars of equipment, loss of confidence .......

Likely get bumped down both time in service, and time in grade.

His retirement pay will be based on the average of the highest 36 months of pay over his career. No matter when during his career those months occurred. Even if he was busted down to Seaman the retirement pay calculation wouldn't change.

Since military retirement pay is set by Congress only they could change it.

55 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Admiral...one of Obama's replacements?

Yes, appointed during the Obama adm9nistration like almost every current commander, but I don't think that is relavant.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/navybio.asp?bioID=437

Archived