SASS Wire Forum

Sear Spring for 1878 Colt SxS copy

Black Angus McPherson

One of the sear springs in my Cimmarron 1878 Colt SxS copy broke.  I am currently awaiting a reply from Cimmarron's parts department to see if they have them, part #, cost, etc. since I don't see them listed on their website.

Meanwhile, where else would you folks suggest I look to get a replacement?

Thanks,

Angus

p.s.  Dang, but that broken spring looked rough and cheap when I took it out.  I'm not at all surprised that it broke.  I've only had the gun for about 3 years and shoot, maybe, 3 to 4 monthly matches a year.  Otherwise I like the gun.

VTI gun parts or EMF co.

2 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

One of the sear springs in my Cimmarron 1878 Colt SxS copy broke.  I am currently awaiting a reply from Cimmarron's parts department to see if they have them, part #, cost, etc. since I don't see them listed on their website.

Meanwhile, where else would you folks suggest I look to get a replacement?

Thanks,

Angus

p.s.  Dang, but that broken spring looked rough and cheap when I took it out.  I'm not at all surprised that it broke.  I've only had the gun for about 3 years and shoot, maybe, 3 to 4 monthly matches a year.  Otherwise I like the gun.

I had the same thing happen to my Cimarron/TTN 1878.

Contact Johnny Meadows. He can make you a pair made out of much better metal than the factory parts.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Normally Cimarron will have those in stock.  But here is another option:

http://cowboybullets.com/SliXpring--TTN-Sear-Spring_p_70.html

For some reason the picture didn't come up for the slixpring. But, it will look something like this. The screw end has a longer coil of wire and the bridle has to be clearanced  

DSCN1491.JPG

DSCN1492.JPG

599d18123eef9_CimarronvsColt1878lockAugust2017.jpg.1f556c800de678bd30085cae6a0f3e6a.jpg

Here is an original Colt 1878 lock above Cimarron lock.  They are very close.

I bought a SliXspring top snap spring and almost got it installed in my original Colt when it went ZING across the room to "parts unknow". We hunted for hours and never found it and it still lost.  I bought an assortment of spring material and made my own.

13 hours ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

For some reason the picture didn't come up for the slixpring. But, it will look something like this. The screw end has a longer coil of wire and the bridle has to be clearanced  

DSCN1491.JPG

DSCN1492.JPG

"the bridle has to be clearanced"    Does that mean I'm going to have to put a file to something or that I need to get permission from the Mrs. to buy one?  I just saw the price: $18.00!  That seems pretty high for a spring to me and that doesn't even include shipping.  Is that an average, good or bad price for what I need?  I gotta admit it looks to be a lot higher quality than that piece of crud spring that broke on me.  Seriously, I've had nail files that weren't that rough.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I tried Brownell's but couldn't find one.   I still haven't heard back from Cimarron.

Angus

Archived