SASS Wire Forum

Not mine!!

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Just spotted a pair of  1860 Armies for sale over on the CLASSIFIEDS and believe me these were once my Holy Grail of SASS revolvers.  These appear to have the full list of improvements needed to play Frontiersman or either of the Frontier Cartridge cats in full style.  I would not try to go full blast SASS competition with my favorite set of pistolas, by todays standard they are just to fragile  'in my opinion'.  I pretty much stopped shooting, due to health issues, a few years back but do have hopes to start back pretty soon.  In the interim I will find the right shotgun to go with them, a super slick 12ga mule eared double.  For the rifle I have settled on an 1860 in 44-40 and it is pretty much a standard cc hardened iron frame version.  Not sure that I would try to get an action job with short stroke on my rifle as it is almost to fun to shoot now.  I do really love smooth guns but do not equate that as just related to competition so if I do start shooting again who can do this chore well?  After all we must accept that the rare 500yd shot on a buffalo may be needed (remember DWW). 

Any of you burners of the charcoal find a desire for something similar to this?  To the chagrin of some SASS members I found that there were more soot makers who played along the fringes of SASS and enjoyed their game away from and independent of the mainstream!  No doubt that the most interesting threads on this here WIRE occur when the BP shooters get cranked up so lets get some other ideas from you guys.         

Archived