SASS Wire Forum

Two-Handed Shooters...UNTIE

Krazy Kajun

Well, I believe there is something out there bigger than myself. Who/whatever that is gave me two hands(they occasionally don't work well). I choose to shoot using both of those hands and to refer to that being as God. So, by reason we could be God's Own.

My $.02

Imis

I would love to shoot Josie wales in GF style but don't trust the hands

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Rye's suggestion:  Mo Dern  Shootists.

i have read this thread 3 times now and just realized it "squaw" ... ive been reading it as "squab" until now...lol...

SQUAB GRIPPERS UNITE!!!

im still holding out for "gunchokers"... but "squab grippers" has its own personal hilarity to it now...lol...

I'm staying out of this one...

Good Luck

WHEREAS, since this shooting style was de-riguer back in the beginnings of SASS, and;

WHEREAS, any shooting style that involved only one hand on a firearm was lightly discouraged, and;

WHEREAS, whenever official recognition of single-handed shooting styles were proposed as "acceptable", at least one of the founders vehemently opposed its adoption.  (At least that's MY understanding),

THEREFORE, those that wish to be proclaimed as respectful of the foundations of our sport and are desirous of being identified as in keeping with said beginnings should be hereinafter known as...

Gen'l Grant'ers.

22 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Rye, I just guess I don't take myself too seriously and I don't have a problem with the term....I'm Cajun (Kajun) and I've been called much worse.  I hope you see that this is entirely tongue in cheek and meant to add a little levity to the Wire. :lol:

Kajun

I bet that you've been called a c00n@$$ or something like that, says J.W., a Gunfighter who was born in New Orleans. 

28 minutes ago, J.W. Sinclair said:

I bet that you've been called a c00n@$$ or something like that, says J.W., a Gunfighter who was born in New Orleans. 

Yes Sir I have.....many times too....and I'll answer to that name proudly!  I consider it a high compliment! ;)

Kajun

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:10 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

FYI, I used the term "squaw grippers" once and got a PM chastising me for it.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:20 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

"And all of a sudden, everyone is offended by everything"  Somewhere along the line- people just gotta get over it!

Yes Eyesa, Political Correctness is rampant today.

However, certain terms are considered rude in polite society. Some examples are as follow: nigger, spic, chink, jap, and squaw. We would not use those that I've listed, except "squaw." It has been used frequently in shooting forums without intent to insult. :unsure:  Some folks find it very offensive. Check out the following sites.

https://indiancountrymedianetwork.com/history/events/the-word-squaw-offensive-or-not/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squaw

I am discussing this and some other terms with the other Moderators so that we may decide how to best represent SASS to the World.

So, you may want to think of another name for this group.  I will get back to you.

Regards,

Allie

Krazy,

Have something with a western or cowboy/cowgirl title......like 'Ranger'  or maybe 'Steed Riders'  or 'Steed Raiders'   both hands on the reins.

The JEDI have the crossed pistol pins, the Pistoleros have the silhouette of a shooter with 1 pistol being aimed.   The 'Steed ?' could have a silhouette of a black stallion, maybe even a black stallion with a little lightening bolt across it.

..........Widder

Look Ma!  Two hands!

How 'bout "Double Grippers" or "Double Grabbers"? 

How 'bout "Arthritis Style" or "Arthur Righteous Style" or just "Righteous Style"? 

What about "New West Style".......that sounds too much like a magazine.

What about "Strangler Wranglers"?

I must agree with Allie Mo.  Those of us who grew up playing Cowboys and Indians see no harm or intended insult.  However, there are a lot of people out there who will see it as racism and sexism rolled into one.  While I personally enjoy mocking Antifas and snowflakes, do we really want our shooting organization, one that we hope to start growing again, to face the world mocking a significant portion of the population?  I can't get wrapped around the axle over this one, but I do think it's something you should consider.

Well I'm offended. My Great Grandmother on my mother's side of the family was said to have been an Native America. Using this term "Squaw Gripper" shows disrespect for a memory that I don't have. If you don't stop immediately, I'm gonna go right out and break a window and loot me a new TV. :P

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

Well I'm offended. My Great Grandmother on my mother's side of the family was said to have been an Native America. Using this term "Squaw Gripper" shows disrespect for a memory that I don't have. If you don't stop immediately, I'm gonna go right out and break a window and loot me a new TV. :P

If you think that is offensive, you should feel happy that the suggested name doesn't have 'TG' or 'Black Pin' in the name..... :lol::lol:

On the serious side, although I rarely use that term 'Squaw Gripper',  I think the 2 handed style shooters deserve a more respectable name.   After all, ALL of our Natl and World Champs have been the 2 handed 'Trad' style shooters.  

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

On the serious side, although I rarely use that term 'Squaw Gripper',  I think the 2 handed style shooters deserve a more respectable name.   After all, ALL of our Natl and World Champs have been the 2 handed 'Trad' style shooters.  

..........Widder

I always thought the term "squaw gripper" was more of a tease or a slight. I agree, with WIdder regarding a more respectable name but then I only get half way involved in my handgun shooting. ;)

Hi Again Folks,

When I got that first PM taking offence at the term "squaw gripper," I thought he was offended by the implication of a "girly man."  It wasn't until yesterday and receiving another PM that took offence to it as a racial slur, that I read about some of its history as a derogatory term. I formerly thought it was just a normal term for a Native American woman. I thought it was similar to referring to a Native American man as a "brave." Now, I'm not so sure. The following site even considers "brave" as offensive. http://www.nativecircle.com/learning-respect.html

If you Google "is squaw a derogatory term," you can find articles on both sides of the argument. However, most of them find it derogatory.

As believers in the Cowboy way, a version of it follows, it might be best to not use the term.

Regards,

Allie Mo

gene_autry_code.jpg

So where do people like me fit in? I shoot B-western. Sometimes 2 handed, sometimes duelist,  sometimes gunfighter. Depends on the stage and how I feel like playing at that particular time. 

45 minutes ago, Jimmy Reb, SASS #54804 said:

So where do people like me fit in? I shoot B-western. Sometimes 2 handed, sometimes duelist,  sometimes gunfighter. Depends on the stage and how I feel like playing at that particular time. 

Mebbe you can start your own support group......mebbe "All Grippers" :lol:

Kajun

1 hour ago, Jimmy Reb, SASS #54804 said:

Prairie Pimp?

59 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I just thought of a B) name for a GF, Amby Dex Trous or Amby Dexter Ous. :)

For a Lady GF, Amber Dex Trust.

I remember when I first started CAS back in... 91 or 92??? No matter. We all pulled our guns together so we could all shoot and then each of us would buy our own ammo. There wasn't twenty different classes so everyone got a trophy. There wasn't customized race guns. Heck, at first we didn't even have metal targets. But back then almost all of the shooters (except the plainsmen) shot two-handed no matter what class they were.  Later it became evident that some folks need to shoot two handed for one reason or another (perhaps safety?), while others shot with two hands because that's how they were taught. You know, I'd hate to see someone try to shoot one-handed when they don't have the skill or physical ability just to avoid a silly moniker. Besides, hackin' on someone isn't always a good way to make a friend. ;)

I have always used two hands to shoot the pistolas. For years, listened to my good pard, N A Custer tell me I shoot "Handsguns" while he was shooting "Handguns" as a Duelist or Gunfighter. Now he shoots B-Western most of the time and you guessed it, he likes to shoot "Handsguns" most of the time. :P:ph34r:

It might not sound as rosy as Allie would like it to be but how about

Two

Hand

Utilized

Grip

Shooter

That means we could all be a bunch of THUGS

8 minutes ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Two

Hand

Utilized

Grip

Shooter

I like that!

58 minutes ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Two

Hand

Utilized

Grip

Shooter

Thats a good one.

OR:  Two Handed Unique Gun Shooter  (Your idea spawned my thinking).

..........Widder

Archived