SASS Wire Forum

Two-Handed Shooters...UNTIE

Krazy Kajun

Well we've got Jedi Gunfighters, Pistoleros (Duelists), Classic Cowboys, Outlaws and whatnot.  Since we live in a polite society and not wanting any to be left out or feelings hurt I think we need to have a special group designation for two handed shooters.  We can draw up a list of rules, a special graphic, a group name and register all those that want to be a part of this group. 

Let's get the ball rolling....nominations are now open for a group name.  I'll open the nominations and submit Squaw Grippers :lol:

Kajun

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dyslexic Squaw Grippers...UNTIE!  :D

Seriously, I wish you guys the best.  I've had a ball just talking about this Pistolero stuff and the support from the JEDIs in general and Widdow specifically has been great.

42 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

How about just calling us "The Majority"!!!

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I would say , "The Silent Majority" , but there is no reason to be quiet about it. :lol:

Rex , who if shot one-handed would be "The slow awkward Duelist" and if Gunfighter , " The guy with the goofy left hand".:D

Hi Krazy Kajun,

I'm glad you brought this up!

I shoot with the Shenango River Rats at Brookfield and we laughingly refer to two-handed pistol shooting as Miami Vice style.   :lol:

I never liked the sound of "squaw" gripping, but, since you got me thinking about this - I'm going to start calling two-handed shooting River Rat style!

Works for me!  Thanks for the idea!

All my best,

Mo

I'm proud that the JEDI GFer's have such a positive effect on each of us being a unique part of SASS/CAS.

The JEDI get some criticism because we have certain standards that prevent us from being all inclusive.   But these standards are actually a SASS enhancement, such as having RO status (I or II) and of course, shooting GF category for the past year.   And our 'intangibles' for eligibility are very reasonable

We have a number of JEDI who actually shoot 2 handed but in years past, shot some type of GF category at a big match, such as to promote FCGF, and have exibited great GF skills.

And, we have a JEDI who has aspired to shoot GF but some very serious medical situations halted him in meeting minimal qualifications.   The JEDI Council, after hearing of his situation, felt that having an 'Honorary' JEDI GF is part of what we are all about.   

And, with the permission of his family,  we have honored a gifted GF as JEDI posthumously and requested that his family member wear his JEDI pin to honor him.

At present, we have approx 245 JEDI, of which about 11 of them are Master JEDI.   Those Master JEDI have big resumes in their accomplishments and contributions to SASS/CAS.   Some are black pin like Lassiter and Last Kiss.   And Last Kiss has made great efforts over a period of years to grow the Lady GF ranks.

To be Master JEDI, the whole Council has to be in agreement.

And of course, we have JEDI GF of the YEAR.    This recognition started back in about 2009 with Manatee and his efforts that year to promote FCGF and get category recognition in some big matches.

JEDI GF of the YEAR only requires a majority of the Council approval.

And of course, we have the JEDI website.   It was created by DeadHead.   And if the JEDI sends DeadHead a picture, he also post it on his website.   That website is:  shootingbums.org

KRAZY,  I hope your efforts bring about another success story.   

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Well we've got Jedi Gunfighters, Pistoleros (Duelists), Classic Cowboys, Outlaws and whatnot.  Since we live in a polite society and not wanting any to be left out or feelings hurt I think we need to have a special group designation for two handed shooters.  We can draw up a list of rules, a special graphic, a group name and register all those that want to be a part of this group. 

Let's get the ball rolling....nominations are now open for a group name.  I'll open the nominations and submit Squaw Grippers :lol:

Kajun

Bein' a 2 handed shooter meownself, i'm thinkin' you best not come north a da Mason Dixon Line, unless you're spoilin' fer a Rukus wit me an ma Posse pards.

MOOSE :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Moose Wesson said:

Bein' a 2 handed shooter meownself, i'm thinkin' you best not come north a da Mason Dixon Line, unless you're spoilin' fer a Rukus wit me an ma Posse pards.

MOOSE :ph34r:

Being as how I'm also a 2 handed shooter meownself and how I wuz born in God's country, that's south of Interstate 10 in South Louisiana, and as how I'm a Kajun....I ain't got no need to go north of the Mason Dixon Line.  Howsomever, I've been north of said line many a time, shot a few matches whilst I was there and I'll travel where and when I want. :ph34r:;)

Kajun

10 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Being as how I'm also a 2 handed shooter meownself and how I wuz born in God's country, that's south of Interstate 10 in South Louisiana, and as how I'm a Kajun....I ain't got no need to go north of the Mason Dixon Line.  Howsomever, I've been north of said line many a time, shot a few matches whilst I was there and I'll travel where and when I want. :ph34r:;)

Kajun

Krazy,   me thinks he don't wanna be friends with you..... ;)

..........Widder

Just now, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Krazy,   me thinks he don't wanna be friends with you..... ;)

..........Widder

Me thinks I'm ok with;) that ....

Kajun

Just now, Moose Wesson said:

Now ya know I's just joshin' wid ya, KK.

:P

Yup, I knowed dat....could tell by the mask on ya emoji :lol:

Kajun

It was just a matter of time! Good luck to ya'll!!!!! This Pistolero thing has been a real hoot!! ;)

Well, I tried shooting 2 handed the first couple of years I shot CAS and as I recall I started out that way because...How should I put this?...It was the "societal norm". In  other words, that was normal for me as that is how I learned to shoot (Thanks Mr. Weaver) because that is/was the proper way to shoot for the times. Single handed shooting was the "societal norm" for the late 1800's because that was what was taught and that was the normal way to shoot. I do believe there was also some machismo and chivalric ideals, if "chivalric" is a word,  involved as well. SO, even though I do not shoot 2 handed when shooting CAS.

I think you all should pick a name that instills pride and a certain pinache to the more modern way of shooting. Something that brings dash-fire to mind. "Dash-fire" is a late 1800's term or slang for vigor or manliness. Stand tall and deliver. ;)

Good Luck in your venture. :D

You could call yourselves TEN SHOOTERS. Ten fingers on one gun.  Ten two handed shooters to every one gunfighter or duelist

8 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

FYI, I used the term "squaw grippers" once and got a PM chastising me for it.

"And all of a sudden, everyone is offended by everything"  Somewhere along the line- people just gotta get over it!

28 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

'Squaw-Grippers' are Duelist's in training....:lol:

OLG

Nope, they are those that have seen the light! ;)

Kajun

7 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

FYI, I used the term "squaw grippers" once and got a PM chastising me for it.

I could see where some people may not like this term even among this most tolerant group!

How about Modern Shootists???

I may be criticized for commenting but it's the truth.  I went and watched my first CAS match and the first thing that struck me odd was the majority shooting with two hands.  I'm thinking,  "What is this? Cowboys never shot with two hands - even in the westerns.".  

I've shot autoloaders and double actions with two handed holds but always shot single actions with my strong hand.  As I learned more about categories,  I was ok, I could shoot duelist.   And I came to the reality that this is a fanticy game. 

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I could see where some people may not like this term even among this most tolerant group!

How about Modern Shootists???

Rye, I just guess I don't take myself too seriously and I don't have a problem with the term....I'm Cajun (Kajun) and I've been called much worse.  I hope you see that this is entirely tongue in cheek and meant to add a little levity to the Wire. :lol:

Kajun

3 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Then gunfighters would have to shake both hands. Right to right and left to left at the same time.

Only those who double cock and double discharge.

Those of us who alternate shake with the right hand first and then the left hand..... :D

..........Widder

Hummm Squaw-Grippers.

As one of First Nations/indigenous descent I guess I'll have to work up some kind of indignation.

I'll get back to you.....

tomorrow..........

or the day after...............

maybe next week.

end of the year for sure. 

Trust me.

Way back in the good old days in SASS about 1995 .  Two hands holding your pistols was encouraged because :

1.  Target Size 8 inch disk was considered oversize .

2.   Distance to the targets .  We had bullseye shooters setting the targets.

3.    10 Sec. Misses

4.     Only two classes for shooting  one hand gun or two hand guns.  

5.    45 and 44 cal. I was called a gamer when switched to 38's

Only a little resistance when we switched from sundials to hand held stop watches then came the electronic timers.

Two Minute stages were the normal times.

I really enjoy watching the GunFighters and Duelists shoot a stage , Bad shoulders have stopped me from trying.

anyone who knows me I love  to throw fuel on the Fire.  

10 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Rye, I just guess I don't take myself too seriously and I don't have a problem with the term....I'm Cajun (Kajun) and I've been called much worse.  I hope you see that this is entirely tongue in cheek and meant to add a little levity to the Wire. :lol:

Kajun

For the record I don't have a problem with it either, I think it;s funny, but I'm sayin' maybe some will. (????) PC crowd sneaks up and gets ya from behind!!:P

Archived