SASS Wire Forum

The Western Regional Match

Mad Dog Jack, SASS #77862

It was great to get there to visit with my cowboy and cowgirl friends, even if health reasons keep me from shooting. I DID have dinner Saturday at the shoot with Allie Mo, as I have for the last 4 or 5 years there, I have a pic but can't seem to get it to load here. Anyway...I missed the awards so I need to ask...who won?

MDJ....Glad to hear you made it out there.  I was there for a while  Saturday and looked for both you and Allie Mo, but missed you both.

Best wishes,

Cat Brules

Great seeing you Jack.  By the time I got back to the motel and took a shower and a pain pill, I lay down and fell asleep and missed the dinner.  Oh well, next year.

While there on Friday afternoon I was watching a friend's posse and noticed they were a bit undermanned so I worked the unloading table. Matt Black was on that posse, I really like watching him shoot. I first saw him at the Bayou Blast a few years ago and while it can be difficult to judge speed from one match to another I am sure he is faster now. Truly amazing to watch.

Still can't get the picture thing to work :(

1 hour ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Matt Black had a 13.915 average for a 12 stage match, WOW!!!!!!!

Randy

This was a challenging match too. The targets were not big and close. The scenarios were good yet not simple either. We did have a good time. He shot an outstanding match. His shooting style has evolved over the years and he is better and stronger than ever these days.  He shoots with precision and control and there is no wasted effort or movement. There are lots of other great shooters these days.

The first time I met y'all was many years ago at the US Open and he was impressive then as a young kid. Now he has matured, improved and is truly amazing. As you said there are several Top Shooters that are amazing. I can't even count as fast as Matt and some others shoot. 

Randy

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:57 PM, Mad Dog Jack, SASS #77862 said:

It was great to get there to visit with my cowboy and cowgirl friends, even if health reasons keep me from shooting. I DID have dinner Saturday at the shoot with Allie Mo, as I have for the last 4 or 5 years there, I have a pic but can't seem to get it to load here. Anyway...I missed the awards so I need to ask...who won?

Hi MD Jack!:wub:

It is always a pleasure to see and have dinner with you! Sherry is a great gal and the wine was yummy!  Please, just forget about the picture, if I'm in it. :blush:

IMO, the B)est part of the match was the shootoff. At the top 16 shoot off, they have the top man shoot against the top woman. Usually, the top man will give the woman an advantage (like he will run from the LT to the stage instead of starting at the closer, normal position). Last year, Bonnie MacFarlane refused to have an advantage and she barely lost. This year Molly Magoo refused the advantage and she won “fair and square” against Saw-yer Wood.  I hope these ladies set a precedent for future shoot offs.

I always enjoy watching the shootoffs. The strangest things can happen. This time, in one of the intermediate rounds, one shooter dropped a loaded pistol. The competitor, stopped at the SG targets instead of going on to the pistol. He just tossed the four shells he'd grabbed. Then, when he came back he didn't have enough SG shells to make up his misses. Not fun for them; but, interesting for the spectators. 

Bonnie was top overall woman and Matt Black was top overall man.

It was a fun match. Kudos to the organizers!

Regards,

Allie Mo

Archived